Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
There won't be a CEL.
I have a 2015 Pathfinder which first started showing signs of shudder/judder about 20k miles which was about two years ago. Went to the dealership, they could not replicate the problem and there were no codes. It got severe starting this year when I reached 50k. Changed transmission and brake fluids, rotors and pads replaced, wheel alignment done but the problem remained. There was some serious shudder on slow speeds(20-35 mph) and while turning. I went for a routine oil change a week ago to the dealership when I had 58765 miles, the tech experienced the shudder and was able to reproduce it more than once, at will while taking a turn. No CEL though, it never came up since I have owned it. There was a code this time, P17f1. The link to the TSB is TSB. The problem is the belt slipping while changing gears. The service personnel told me that I should get it fixed before the warranty runs out. I was under the impression that the warranty was 3 years/36000 miles but he told me Nissan has extended it to 60k miles because of this issue. As per the TSB, the fix for this code is to replace the transmission Sub Assembly. Had the code read P17f0, the whole transmission needs to be replaced. He said he needs one day to carry out the repair work and provided a loaner. As promised, the car was ready in a day and the tech did an extensive test drive of about 100 miles before certifying the fix. Upon asking the tech as to why the sub assembly and why not the whole transmission, he mentioned Nissan has come up with a better design of the sub assembly late last year and that's why the problem persisted in previous cases where the transmission was replaced. I have driven the car for about 70 miles since then and there problem seems to have gone, no shudder and butter smooth drive at slow speeds and turns.
Hope this post helps, I'm happy to answer any questions. Will also post a copy of the repair work and parts involved soon.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Upon asking the tech as to why the sub assembly and why not the whole transmission, he mentioned Nissan has come up with a better design of the sub assembly late last year and that's why the problem persisted in previous cases where the transmission was replaced.
I have learnt to take whatever they tell you with a grain of salt, the part numbers haven't changed.....

I think there was a tech on here a few months back said most valve bodies failed again because some shops never properly flushed the CVT cooling system, but who knows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have learnt to take whatever they tell you with a grain of salt, the part numbers haven't changed.....

I think there was a tech on here a few months back said most valve bodies failed again because some shops never properly flushed the CVT cooling system, but who knows.
I agree, let's hope this fix works! Sharing the part numbers here.
20190911_155530.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 2015 Murano but same CVT woes as the 15+ PF and 16+ Max.

70k on the car, never had any issues except for light shudder in the following circumstance:

• 15-18 mph
  • ~10% throttle
  • Slight incline
Took it in to the dealer today for the software update, and of course its P17F0 replace trans @ $4500.

The dealer said he has never seen one fail completely and some people throw codes and don't even notice it.

This is unfortunate, as the car was the perfect balance of features/styling/ power/fuel economy for me. I really don't want to spend that much on a 4 year old car with miles getting up there.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone here had the code for a long time and just lives with it? I figure I can avoid the situation that causes shudder by going harder on the throttle at low speeds.
  2. Does it get worse over time? IE: Does low RPM shudder turn into shudder at high RPM or loss of power completely?
  3. Has anyone had the replacement done at a indy shop?
Thank you for your feedback- I have low faith in the Nissan CVT so I would hate to spend $4500 and only have it go out again in a year outside of the warranty.

It has been a couple months now - any update? Still driving? Going through the same - shaking...enghine light...limp mode - now code is re-set and driving fine. Wondering if I should just keep driving...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm lucky in that the area I drive in, i rarely have to go slow enough to shudder. As long as I accelerate a little quickly and not 'Driving Ms. Daisy' i don't see it. Although when I went down the Galveston, I did have to drive at just the right speed that it shuddered on all of the back streets.....

·
Registered
404 Posts
I did have to drive at just the right speed that it shuddered on all of the back streets.....
So when you start getting shudder, it's basically the chain bouncing around as the pulleys are not applying enough pressure to grip the chain, which you could say is because solenoids/valves are becoming blocked. So what causes this, is metal shavings/particles in the CVT fluid from the chain bouncing etc, so basically it will progressively get worse and worse, till it is no longer Nissan's problem, but yours.

I have long believed all this starts with the pressure control valve in the oil pump, and here is a nice snippit i found from a CVT repair/parts site.

Oil Pressure relief valve

The oil pressure relief valve in the pump will seize or badly damage after metal particles in the oil going trough this oil pump. The valve is made from a soft aluminium and will score very quickly and very bad but it does not do any damage to the bore.

There are other after market valves on the market which are of a better quality and don't get damaged at all

This are the valves which are made from titanium with a coating of Teflon ( dark Grey of Color ) and are a little bit different in design than the original valve

Don't use the valves supplied by some Chinese companies or the steel valves with a double spring from some other companies because these valves will alter the oil pressure which will interfere with the the spring pressure in the valve body which causes a different behavior of the transmission and it will not carry out a proper adaptation process after you install this transmission.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts