Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
961 Posts
there is no other option other than that. last week had transmission replaced of my 17 altima. Same error was there.
Were you beyond warranty with your 2017 Altima?

Every time I read one of these posts it makes me want to go out and do another spill and fill on my 2019 Pathfinder's CVT. We're at about 44K miles and I've been doing drain/fills since ~24K. Not sure it it makes a difference or not but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder Platinum AWD 158000km
1 Posts
Are you planning on having it fixed?
Did you get it repaired? How long did you drive it for before repairing it?
2013 PF AWD 168000km.
I have had my shudder for a while now, I just didn't know what it was. Last Fall (oct 2020) I forgot to mention it to the dealer when the car was serviced and I had a recall issue attended to that the previous owner had not done (I bought the car in May 2020). They didn't mention anything about that code, but I did spend a lot on a transmission oil cooler leak repair.
Then this Spring I took it in for an oil change and a new recall issue, and I mentioned the shudder at 30-40km/h under load at 1500rpm. They quoted the code P17F0 and said it would be $4500 for a new transmission.
I also had a suspension thunk that they said was struts that needed replacing. I declined their offer to do it for $1500 and after spending an hour diagnosing it myself tracked it to the swing arm bushings (2x$13 rubber bits that are on their way in the mail).
I asked if it was the CVT was an imminent failure or if I could take some time to attend to the repair (given that I have had it for 6 months already). They said it wouldn't fail today, but I shouldn't just leave it. No extended warrantee for this age vehicle unfortunately.
That was a month ago and I have changed my driving style to accelerate hard through 30-40km/hr and there is no shudder. I have only had the car a year, so I wonder if the previous owner knew it and sold me the problem?
Wondering what to do... could this be another misdiagnosis? like the new struts I avoided? I don't think so based on what I have read here on this forum.
Is there such a thing as a refurbished CVT that I could source and not need the dealer to install?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173605-0001.pdf from March 2020
indicates there may be some intermediate options with the control valve?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
961 Posts
Is there such a thing as a refurbished CVT that I could source and not need the dealer to install?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173605-0001.pdf from March 2020
indicates there may be some intermediate options with the control valve?
That's my worst fear. You bought the PF a year ago, already put a bunch of money in repairs into it and it's still not right. You have it dealer serviced on top of that and they still are basically skirting the issue. Did you buy it at the dealer you go to? I am not faulting dealers at all. Just trying to figure this out.

You can buy a replacement CVT anywhere you want and/or have any shop of your choice to the work. It will need programming like pretty much any vehicle will today, but the repair shop should be able to handle any of that.

I'm glad to hear you didn't go for the strut replacement. If the vehicle isn't bouncing or hopping over bumps and the struts aren't leaking, they're fine. I've heard of a few having them replaced on 2013+ and I hope it was for the above concerns only.

Like you say, there's tons of rubber bushings on the suspension and subframe. Any of those can cause clunks. Hopefully it's not something as simple as stabilizer bar end-links.

If I were you, with the current used vehicle market, I'd trade the pathfinder off or sell it to carvana or the likes. Get a lesser/cheaper used vehicle for now if possible, find a "cheap" lease deal or buy something new.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts