Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2015 Murano but same CVT woes as the 15+ PF and 16+ Max.

70k on the car, never had any issues except for light shudder in the following circumstance:

• 15-18 mph
  • ~10% throttle
  • Slight incline
Took it in to the dealer today for the software update, and of course its P17F0 replace trans @ $4500.

The dealer said he has never seen one fail completely and some people throw codes and don't even notice it.

This is unfortunate, as the car was the perfect balance of features/styling/ power/fuel economy for me. I really don't want to spend that much on a 4 year old car with miles getting up there.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone here had the code for a long time and just lives with it? I figure I can avoid the situation that causes shudder by going harder on the throttle at low speeds.
  2. Does it get worse over time? IE: Does low RPM shudder turn into shudder at high RPM or loss of power completely?
  3. Has anyone had the replacement done at a indy shop?
Thank you for your feedback- I have low faith in the Nissan CVT so I would hate to spend $4500 and only have it go out again in a year outside of the warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drove another 500 miles this week, no shudder at all. I've learned just to get on the throttle harder when under 15 mph and going up incline or around corners. No issues otherwise to report, the CVT performs as it should.

Yet the code persists. Is it possible that this code could remain stored forever with no worsening of the symptoms?

·
Super Moderator
4,003 Posts
The code will stay there until it is cleared. Are you saying that you've cleared the code and it comes back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were you, considering the cost of repair and as long as it doesn't get to a point were it's highly noticeable or loses power, I'd delay fixing it.
I notice in your other thread that you had the same code but had the valve body replaced instead and that fixed it...did the dealer decide to do that? When I asked them they say they can only do what the TSB workflow instructs

Delay if you have some sort of extended warranty. Have you seen the cost of repair?
Repair is $4500 at all indy shops and dealers I have called. No warranty sadly, it's expired

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
I don't recall what the code was. At that time Nissan had just started replacing the valve bodies instead of the whole transmission. Dealer first told me the transmission was going to be replaced but then said Nissan had instruct them to do that first.

There are two codes, PF17F0 and PF17F1. According to the following flow chart, the first (your case) requires a full replacement, the second just the valve body.
As you can see, if the customer doesn't complain about the shudder they won't do anything even if the codes are present.

·
Super Moderator
4,003 Posts
I mean, how did you get your hands on something that generally only service personnel can see?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drove another 500 miles this week, no shudder at all. I've learned just to get on the throttle harder when under 15 mph and going up incline or around corners. No issues otherwise to report, the CVT performs as it should.

Yet the code persists. Is it possible that this code could remain stored forever with no worsening of the symptoms?

So howd things go with this? Still driving with the code? Same issue different car. 4100$ repair also. Very upset as i dont have the $ to fix. Trying to figure how long i may have. Dealerahip said it can tomorrow next week next month or next year.. Super stressed

·
Registered
411 Posts
So howd things go with this? Still driving with the code? Same issue different car. 4100$ repair also. Very upset as i dont have the $ to fix. Trying to figure how long i may have. Dealerahip said it can tomorrow next week next month or next year.. Super stressed
The problem is, you could drop the $4100 to get it fixed, but eventually same issue will come back and will cost you more $$. For me, 65000km, counting the original CVT, i am now on CVT #3 and also had one valve body replaced between CVT#2 and CVT#3, so once my extended warranty is close to expiring, i'll be getting rid of this POS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question, I apologize if it is already answered in past.

How can I find out if my 2015 Pathfinder has either PF17F0 or PF17F1 codes stored in the memory? Can I use an OBDII scanner to look up these codes? If not then is there any other tool for owners to find if either PF17F0 or PF17F1 codes stored on their Pathfinders?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
Welcome tot he forum.

On the 2015 a software update is required for it to store those codes. This was done free of charge at the time, not sure now but your PF most likely has it if it was serviced at a responsible dealer.
Once that happens, it will store those codes if present. You can read them using any OBDII scanner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your answer.
And if car has either code PF17F0 or PF17F stored in in ECM, would the 'Check Engine Light' be illuminated. Or would ECM just store these codes without alerting the owner?

Rhoniel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts