Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Probably - but I bet a new skin for the front end will cost as much as trading in your current one. Unless you find one with a wrecked rear end.

·
Registered
39 Posts
lol need a the new 2017 Pathfinder to get the projector lights. I wonder if those can be fitted to 2015 model with the bumper as well... :D
Eh, they're not that great. Already h9 swapped and they're still only mediocre. On the bright side (get it?) it looks like it'd be easy to crack the housings and swap projectors... They appear to be screwed and clipped together. That's on the list. Needs audio work before headlight work, though.

You'd be much better off doing your own projector conversion or paying a place to do them for you. Even some Morimoto mini-h1's are pretty impressive for simple installations. hidforum is a great resource.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Installed LEDs this weekend. I used 2 sets of these: H11 (low beam) & 9005 (high beam):

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Headlight-Conversion-Lifetime-Replacement/dp/B01EWJA1XK
[was sold when I saw the Lifetime Warranty]

The installation took all of 10 minutes for the 2 sets of bulbs. Just unscrew the old bulb and put in a new bulb. It looks much better than the halogens and you can see the road much better. Visibility is very similar to the Xenons I have on the bimmer. Really easy to install! I'll post some pictures of how it looks now.

ALSO bought a couple of T10s for the DRLs (Daytime Running Lights). DON'T CHANGE THOSE UNLESS YOU NEED TO. THEY'RE A PAIN TO UNSCREW AND SCREW BACK IN. They look great but it took like 2 hours to install just because I couldn't get the ones that were in there to turn so I can remove them until I found a curved set of needle nose pliers. The DRLs were no match for that. Putting them back in took a long time also because you can't see what you're doing since they are under the headlights.

I was going off this guide on how to do headlight bulb replacements for anyone interested:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Nissan-Pathfinder-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,684 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

How is the beam pattern compared to the halogens? I've always heard that results vary since the housing is built for another type of bulb. I was once lent a car with aftermarket LEDs and the lights were pointing at the sky, I had to turn them OFF on the highway and use the parking lights as the low beams pointed right at the eyes of incoming traffic.

When you say DRLs, do you mean the Parking Lights?
DRLs are built in the fog light and use a PS19W, Parking Lights use a W5W which also accept a 194 and T10 bulb.

I'd love to see those pics, hope you took some before and after.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

How is the beam pattern compared to the halogens? I've always heard that results vary since the housing is built for another type of bulb. I was once lent a car with aftermarket LEDs and the lights were pointing at the sky, I had to turn them OFF on the highway and use the parking lights as the low beams pointed right at the eyes of incoming traffic.

When you say DRLs, do you mean the Parking Lights?
DRLs are built in the fog light and use a PS19W, Parking Lights use a W5W which also accept a 194 and T10 bulb.

I'd love to see those pics, hope you took some before and after.
I always thought parking lights were supposed to be the outermost lights. The light I am calling DRL is the one below the high beam light and the innermost light.

I don't have the before pictures for the regular lights but the difference is obvious if you compare them to a stock car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
Some time ago I initially thought parking lights were the hazard lights... those are the ones I turn ON when I'm parked... :huh:
The parking lights are the ones you turn ON right before the low beams, the very first position after the AUTO. The PF owner's manual also calls them front parking lights on page 2-34.
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are the ones that are always ON even when the headlight switch is set to the OFF position. These are standard on all Canadian vehicles so these PF's come equipped with a second light bulb inside the fog light (it would have been easier just to use the parking lights as DRL, but not sure if they meet the norm).

Any comments on the beam pattern and alignment?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Some time ago I initially thought parking lights were the hazard lights... those are the ones I turn ON when I'm parked... :huh:
The parking lights are the ones you turn ON right before the low beams, the very first position after the AUTO. The PF owner's manual also calls them front parking lights on page 2-34.
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are the ones that are always ON even when the headlight switch is set to the OFF position. These are standard on all Canadian vehicles so these PF's come equipped with a second light bulb inside the fog light (it would have been easier just to use the parking lights as DRL, but not sure if they meet the norm).

Any comments on the beam pattern and alignment?
Didn't have to do anything with the beam pattern or alignment. It just slides in like a regular halogen. The light is more uniform like instead of two bright spots like with halogens, there is one solid bright rectangle.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,522 Posts
How many bulbs come in the package and how many bulbs do you need total to make the replacement?

·
Registered
386 Posts
How many bulbs come in the package and how many bulbs do you need total to make the replacement?
2 bulbs come in a package. The Pathfinder uses 2 different sizes: H11 for the low beams and 9005 for the high beams so you would need 2 packages: 1 for each size. Cost me about $100 total.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I always thought parking lights were supposed to be the outermost lights. The light I am calling DRL is the one below the high beam light and the innermost light.

I don't have the before pictures for the regular lights but the difference is obvious if you compare them to a stock car.

Here are the pictures of just the parking lights. Those were a pain. They are just T10 leds:

20170206_180518.jpg

Here are the low beams (H11) :

2017-02-06_22.26.50.jpg

And more low beams:

2017-02-06_22.31.57.jpg

High beams had an issue because one of the lights was dropped by my mailman so I put the old ones back and I'm waiting for the replacement pair for the high beams.

I have to say that the low beams are brighter than the old halogen high beams which is kind of funny. When the led ones arrive I will install one side and take a picture. Maybe I'll just do the same for the low beams. Will make one side halogen and the other side led just to take a picture.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here are the pictures of just the parking lights. Those were a pain. They are just T10 leds:

View attachment 10578

Here are the low beams (H11) :

View attachment 10594

And more low beams:

View attachment 10602

High beams had an issue because one of the lights was dropped by my mailman so I put the old ones back and I'm waiting for the replacement pair for the high beams.

I have to say that the low beams are brighter than the old halogen high beams which is kind of funny. When the led ones arrive I will install one side and take a picture. Maybe I'll just do the same for the low beams. Will make one side halogen and the other side led just to take a picture.

Here's looking ahead. Probably should have been further from that bush to show distance better. I guess it is not really a good picture.

20170206_180604.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
So noticed a small quirk with the led headlights. When they're on some weak radio stations get static. Read about it and it seems like a common problem with leds generating EMI when they are on. It isn't a huge deal because it happens only on 1 station but I'll pickup a ferite clip which should take care of this issue. Those cost about 50 cents a clip.

Another idea might be to look for anti-EMI leds which there isn't a good selection of.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So noticed a small quirk with the led headlights. When they're on some weak radio stations get static. Read about it and it seems like a common problem with leds generating EMI when they are on. It isn't a huge deal because it happens only on 1 station but I'll pickup a ferite clip which should take care of this issue. Those cost about 50 cents a clip.

Another idea might be to look for anti-EMI leds which there isn't a good selection of.

Actually I can probably shorten the cord from the led light by removing the CANBUS extension that came with the lights since I don't think Nissan uses the CANBUS system to check whether light bulbs are dead. I never got an error light when the parking lights went out. Will try disconnecting the CANBUS extension and see if the static on the radio stops.

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
I really like the looks of those lights.

Maybe is the picture but on the pic you took of the low beams, I see a lot of glare, like if the headlight was pointing at the camera and you seem to be a few feet higher than the PF. This would be what I was referring to and what I saw with the loaner car I once drove.
Any incoming vehicles flashing their lights at you?

I got jinxed by this.... this morning I noticed one of my parking lights is burnt.
Here are the pictures of just the parking lights. Those were a pain.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I really like the looks of those lights.

Maybe is the picture but on the pic you took of the low beams, I see a lot of glare, like if the headlight was pointing at the camera and you seem to be a few feet higher than the PF. This would be what I was referring to and what I saw with the loaner car I once drove.
Any incoming vehicles flashing their lights at you?

I got jinxed by this.... this morning I noticed one of my parking lights is burnt.
So far it's been only 1 person but I usually had a few people do it per week with the oem halogens so that's not really an indicator and when this happened we were on a road with no lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed and uninstalled the same lights. While I liked the color and brightness, there was a lot of glare and no cutoff, blinding oncoming traffic. The pattern was closer to the high beams. Is your installation similar or am I the anomaly?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The lens is the determining feature. Frankly, the PF lenses can't hold a candle(power) to the lamps om my Mits RVR. Clean cutoff - bright light. No scatter.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the right configuration

I just installed and uninstalled the same lights. While I liked the color and brightness, there was a lot of glare and no cutoff, blinding oncoming traffic. The pattern was closer to the high beams. Is your installation similar or am I the anomaly?
There is a trick to installing LED bulbs. Usually the lights on each bulb will be on 2 sides. When you look at the light from the front of the car it should be in O|O configuration with the 2 lights directly on the left and right. If they aren't exactly on the left or right you will be blinding drivers with 1 light or blinding airline pilots (hehe) and shining the other bulb on the road right next to the car. You have to turn them in the socket so that you get them in that O|O configuration. I never had any drivers flash their lights at me and I don't think I was blinding even small passenger cars more than I usually do because if you get the configuration right, they cut off exactly before the rear glass of the car ahead of you meets the trunk. I did have them wrong initially like you and I was lighting up the passenger area of every car in front of me. I must have ticked off a few people.

To be honest I gave up on that brand of lights because I couldn't tighten them correctly. They would stay for a few days and then they would wobble. There was a red gasket (rubber piece) next to the fan of the light and I had 1 that installed right but every replacement since then the rubber gasket would pop out and I couldn't tighten the light into the housing because the fan would just spin around the shaft and I couldn't tighten it. Just bad quality I guess...

I'm now trying the Hikari lights which are really bright but they have a lot of glare I think, more so than the others I tried. This is why I love amazon, try them out and return them if there's a problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
There is a trick to installing LED bulbs. Usually the lights on each bulb will be on 2 sides. When you look at the light from the front of the car it should be in O|O configuration with the 2 lights directly on the left and right. If they aren't exactly on the left or right you will be blinding drivers with 1 light or blinding airline pilots (hehe) and shining the other bulb on the road right next to the car. You have to turn them in the socket so that you get them in that O|O configuration. I never had any drivers flash their lights at me and I don't think I was blinding even small passenger cars more than I usually do because if you get the configuration right, they cut off exactly before the rear glass of the car ahead of you meets the trunk. I did have them wrong initially like you and I was lighting up the passenger area of every car in front of me. I must have ticked off a few people.

To be honest I gave up on that brand of lights because I couldn't tighten them correctly. They would stay for a few days and then they would wobble. There was a red gasket (rubber piece) next to the fan of the light and I had 1 that installed right but every replacement since then the rubber gasket would pop out and I couldn't tighten the light into the housing because the fan would just spin around the shaft and I couldn't tighten it. Just bad quality I guess...

I'm now trying the Hikari lights which are really bright but they have a lot of glare I think, more so than the others I tried. This is why I love amazon, try them out and return them if there's a problem.

But I really love the fact that I can see signs so much better, something about these leds make them reflect really well off of all the signs on the highway. I like the white light instead of the yellow light from the old halogens. I'm liking the Hikari lights from amazon right now since I solved the glare problem. I think I'm keeping them, they really help lighting up the road especially in the rain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
But I really love the fact that I can see signs so much better, something about these leds make them reflect really well off of all the signs on the highway. I like the white light instead of the yellow light from the old halogens. I'm liking the Hikari lights from amazon right now since I solved the glare problem. I think I'm keeping them, they really help lighting up the road especially in the rain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I might give these a try. I've been thinking about converting to LED for the headlights. Just don't want to blind everyone going the other direction. Did you do the fogs too?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 129 Posts