Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering upgrading the halogens to LED. I wanted to know if anyone has this already and their results. I am afraid to do HID without retrofit due to glare. LED seem to have great cut off in halogen housings.

I am cosidering vled particularly their newest model that promises 3000ml, using very small drivers, and best off all copper housing, thus no fan.

What are your thoughts? I already have my parking lights with 5k vleds and they look amazing. Pure white on their own...but your eyes pickup ever so slight blue tint as you turn on headlights due to drastic contrast of halogens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with LED parking and side marker lights and love the look. Just completed the HID Projector retrofit and it is absolutely no comparison coming from the Halogens. Upgrade was over 1K but well worth it for safety and performance. I left fogs original as they perform adequately and I am not concerned with the yellow color compared to the HID and LED parking lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with LED parking and side marker lights and love the look. Just completed the HID Projector retrofit and it is absolutely no comparison coming from the Halogens. Upgrade was over 1K but well worth it for safety and performance. I left fogs original as they perform adequately and I am not concerned with the yellow color compared to the HID and LED parking lights.

The retrofit looks amazing. I just don't have 1K to drop on the upgrade right now. I figured, in a couple of years, maybe. The LED kits appear to be more designed for the halogen housings, thus I wanted to know how the pathfinder housing does with them to ensure it works well. I DO NOT want to upgrade to brighter lights just to blind oncoming traffic.

I did notice your fog lights are on with your parking lights...could you let me know how did you do that? Was it difficult to rewire? I would love to do that with mine. I could use this combo as my DRL. (Or are the fogs not really on, but rather the CAN drl that is built into the fog light?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Real easy to do once you get access to the wires. All I do is splice the hot wire from a parking light and run that wire to a tap the hot side of the fog light. Now whenever the parking lights get power it is also sent to the fogs. On the Pathy you can see rear of the fogs after removing 3 screws and pulling the wheel well cover. It is tight but can be done. If you remove the bold holding the front bumper just under the headlight you can pull the side of the bumper away from the car to give you a bit more room and access to the rear of the fog.I use quick splice suitcase wire connectors. You can google to see what these are if you are not familiar with these.

I too experimented with other bulbs in the same housing but at the end of the day if I had to pay a few hundred dollars with not much additional coverage I would just do it correctly. These vehicles should have had HID's from the start and now I truly feel completely safe driving on the darkest roads especially with daylight savings time now here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Vleds in my parking lights. I want to get LEDs for my headlights. I love the idea of instant on, potentially more reliablility, and having no glare from halogen housing. I was hoping to get feedback from you guys to see if any of you tried
LED kits in our housing to see how well they controlled the light and the light cutoff remained relatively clean.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,533 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The LEDS look great on your car. What color temperature are they? 5K or 6K. My pathfinder is Arctic Blue so I'm on the fence,

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
109 Posts
That looks great. I never knew about LED headlights, I've had HID kits on my previous cars that came with the ballasts and the whole deal.

Are these LED's just a direct replacement of our stock head bulbs? How is the light output?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No...these are 194 base. Use the on anything else in our car if you want from license plates, side markers, courtesy lights, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm thinking of selling my first set of retrofitted projector headlights. I'm getting a second pair done as we speak. The difference between halogen and HID is amazing.
The first set is a Morimoto D2s set-up...the new ones are a FX-R set up.
I will post pics.
I'm looking for some nice led parking lights too, ones that won't "outshine" the headlights. I will go and look at VLED now

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,533 Posts
I'm thinking of selling my first set of retrofitted projector headlights.
Moderator's Note: If you do, please post them in the Classified section, not here. You can point people to that listing from here if you like. Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts