Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
I might give these a try. I've been thinking about converting to LED for the headlights. Just don't want to blind everyone going the other direction. Did you do the fogs too?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nope, as of yet. I just did the low beams and high beams

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I might be trying out the NightEye H11. Seem to get great reviews and are only $35.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
+1 on the LED upgrade. Coming from a 2014 Murano SV with projector housing, I had OPT 7 LED bulbs and actually missed not having them in my 2017 PF SL. I took the plunge and got a set of HIKARI LED bulbs this time. Install took all of (2) min (max). They are advertised as 4800 Lms (each) so they're supposed to be a step up from the OPT7 LED bulbs I had previously. I'll test them out tonight and report back in case anyone else is interested in these. Oh, they are $69.99 and the reviews seem encouraging. Hoping they work out. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
+1 on the LED upgrade. Coming from a 2014 Murano SV with projector housing, I had OPT 7 LED bulbs and actually missed not having them in my 2017 PF SL. I took the plunge and got a set of HIKARI LED bulbs this time. Install took all of (2) min (max). They are advertised as 4800 Lms (each) so they're supposed to be a step up from the OPT7 LED bulbs I had previously. I'll test them out tonight and report back in case anyone else is interested in these. Oh, they are $69.99 and the reviews seem encouraging. Hoping they work out. :)

I have the Hikari ones. I love them. Had to lower the headlights a bit because they were shining a little too high. My wife parks backwards sometimes so the lights are pointing at the bimmer and when I tried to take out the bimmer which is a sedan it was like driving into the sun - I saw nothing and was guessing where the road was. I can imagine other people on the road in sedans so I lowered the Pathfinder headlights. But they're better than the Xenons on the bimmer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Hikari ones. I love them. Had to lower the headlights a bit because they were shining a little too high. My wife parks backwards sometimes so the lights are pointing at the bimmer and when I tried to take out the bimmer which is a sedan it was like driving into the sun - I saw nothing and was guessing where the road was. I can imagine other people on the road in sedans so I lowered the Pathfinder headlights. But they're better than the Xenons on the bimmer.

Funny, I was worried about that when I went out for a test drive this evening and they seemed OK. I think what might have helped is that I installed them with the LEDs in a left-right (o|o) orientation instead of a top-bottom orientation (%). I think that helped to keep the beams at an appropriate level. Do you recall which way yours were set before you manually adjusted the headlights? I read in several forums that the top-bottom LED bulb orientation is more likely to send more light up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Funny, I was worried about that when I went out for a test drive this evening and they seemed OK. I think what might have helped is that I installed them with the LEDs in a left-right (o|o) orientation instead of a top-bottom orientation (%). I think that helped to keep the beams at an appropriate level. Do you recall which way yours were set before you manually adjusted the headlights? I read in several forums that the top-bottom LED bulb orientation is more likely to send more light up.

Yup, read that too and made that mistake initially. Changed them to
o|o pattern. Still were pointing a little high even with that orientation. It usually isn't noticeable until you drive on a poorly lit back road or you try to park a sedan in front of the lights. Try to drive on a poorly lit back road and see if you light up the inside of a sedan in front of you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup, read that too and made that mistake initially. Changed them to
o|o pattern. Still were pointing a little high even with that orientation. It usually isn't noticeable until you drive on a poorly lit back road or you try to park a sedan in front of the lights. Try to drive on a poorly lit back road and see if you light up the inside of a sedan in front of you.

Thanks for the tip. I did try driving down a poorly lit road with someone in front and it seemed fine. I'll give it another try just in case. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good news.. After a (2) nights of test drives, the 2017 PF projectors appear to handle the new LED bulbs nicely! As far as I can tell, the beams are no higher than they were on my Murano. They don't illuminate the inside of vehicles in front of me and oncoming traffic is good. I did read that these LED bulbs seem to do better in projector housings vs. non-projector housings. Maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017 Halogen to LED swap

Ok so i must admit, this was an afterthought, that is why there aren't better quality pictures, as well as before pics, however this is more about the type of bulbs rather than the pictures.

So i guess for all that owns a 2017 model, if you checked your owners manual there isn't any change in the bulb sizes for the High Beam and the Fog Light Bulbs, which are H9 and H11 respectively.

So like most as i was looking to change out the High Beam and Fog light bulbs to match the LED low beam that the platinum offers, The High Beam was no issue, i purchased the below from amazon which was plug and play,

H11 LED Headlights, POWLAB 2Pcs LED Headlight Bulbs H11/H9/H8, Fog Light, All-in-One Headlights Conversion Kit, 72W 7200LM 12pcs PHILIPS CSP Single Beam 6500K S3, 2 Yr Warranty.
However for the fog light bulbs it can be a bit daunting, i tried 3 manufacturers to get the result i was looking for without being to overbearing on oncoming traffic. the firs two i tried were the,

Alla Lighting 50W High Power CREE Super Bright 6000K Xenon White H11 H8 H16 Type 2 LED Bulbs for Fog Light Lamp Replacement, and the
JDM ASTAR 1300 Lumens Extremely Bright 3030 Chipsets H11 LED Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White (H11), and quite frankly i have a flashlight that i could have strapped on and got better results.

The major issue i found is that the projector at the front of these bulbs does just that, it projects the light beam , so you don get the short spread that the fog light is supposed to offer. I didnt want to go with anything too bright that would blind oncoming drivers, so to kind of gauge, the output i was looking for, i installed the LED bulbs i bought for the high beam, into the the fog light housing, and while these provided the range and spread i was looking for, they were a bit overpowering. So what i did was to shoot for something in between and wolla! my problems were solved.

so the one i ultimately settled for is the, JDM ASTAR 2G 4000 Lumens Extremely Bright CSP Chips H11 LED Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White. Hopefully this helps someone with a 2017 looking to achieve the same result.

On another note, what is the easiest way to get to the Low beam LED bulb without dismantling the assembly?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
did you have easy access to you halogen factory installed bulbs? because it appears that on the platinum edition, the LED bulbs are encased in a secondary housing. If you have pics, will you please post that i may compare with what is installed in my vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Good news.. After a (2) nights of test drives, the 2017 PF projectors appear to handle the new LED bulbs nicely! As far as I can tell, the beams are no higher than they were on my Murano. They don't illuminate the inside of vehicles in front of me and oncoming traffic is good. I did read that these LED bulbs seem to do better in projector housings vs. non-projector housings. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I think mine always illuminated the inside of cars in front of me except before I put in the Hikari LEDs it wasn't very noticeable. With the Hikaris it became really noticeable.

I shouldn't have adjusted the lights because the lights were so bright no one would ever be in front of me on the highway in the evening - it's like having a free front collision avoidance system - hehe.

One guy decided to slow down when I was behind him to imply that I had my high beams on. I showed him my high beams. His car lit up like it was daylight inside his car even though it was pitch dark outside. Boy, was he sorry. He sped away like the dickens. Was pretty funny...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Posting back to include a couple of pics of the Hikari LED bulbs on a 2017 PF. These bulbs are ideal for PFs with projector headlights. As other members have noted, results may vary with non-projector headlights.

Attachments

Reactions: 2Apathfinder

·
Registered
386 Posts
FYI, if you need to adjust your headlights there's a white wheel right on the bottom of the headlight. Turning it one way raises the lights and the other way lowers them. Don't get discouraged if after turning for awhile you don't see a change - it is a very fine control and you will need to turn it like 10 times around to see even a perceptible difference in the aim of the beam so keep turning until you get it right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
how hard was it for you to access the Projector bulbs, because it seems like i need to take of a few things just to access the bulb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
how hard was it for you to access the Projector bulbs, because it seems like i need to take of a few things just to access the bulb.
Not hard at all. Total time to complete the swap was 5 min (for both bulbs). You don't have to remove anything to get to the low beam bulbs, which is a welcome change. Unplug the factory bulbs, rotate to release them, put in the new bulbs, plugin and that's about it. :) if you have any questions, hit me up.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts