Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 2006 Pathfinder LE 2wd that I’ve been having problems with for the past two months. I picked her up at the dealership for a steal and she is in **** near mint condition. But like I said I started having problems. I replaced the Tcm and Valve body because she previously had that issue with coolant in there and all they did was bypass and that’s all. I flushed the trans out and installed the new valve body and replaced the speed sensor on the transmission and I still would get crappy shifting and a p1715 and p1721 code thrown. I sucked it up and brought her to the dealer and they basically said it needed to be reprogrammed. I caved and let them take it in yesterday morning and now they said the programming failed because the transmission was replaced before and when they did it the put the wrong transmission on my truck? He said there were three types of transmissions for the 2wd? I wasn’t charged but I’m curious what three types are there? I have the product number for the re5r05a trans I need 310cmzp01ara. I guess my question is has anyone heard about this happening before? Is there a way around it without buying a new trans? What is so different between them if there are different types? Thank you.

· Registered
57 Posts
So the trans was replaced, then contaminated, and that's when you changed the parts? I think there is more to fix than just the valve body if there has been contamination.

I posted this in another thread...

(Disclaimer: I have no experience with this transmission swap, and have only compiled information from the web and my opinion.)

I can't find any specific answer, but reading about others in the Nissan family (Xterra, Frontier) trying the same thing I've found this:
www.thenewx.org

Transmission Compatibility Compilation
I just joined this forum as I have been a lurker for some time. I spent most of the day today going through hundreds of threads about transmission compatibility. Everyone seems to have there own opinions on what does and doesn't work while others seem to go back and forth. It seems to me that...
www.thenewx.org
www.thenewx.org
-----------------------------------------------
"You can interchange any RE5R05A IF precautions are taken......

*If you have a 4wd....Buy a 4wd transmission!
*The TCM is matched to the vehicle.
*The Valve Body is matched to the vehicle & the Torque Converter.

*TCC Apply Pressure is regulated to different pressures depending on the application, The Valve Body MUST match the vehicle & torque converter.

*The "Shift Adaptives" must be reset with a capable scan tool.

*If your not comfortable with using the original converter.....Have it rebuilt.

As you already know....The snap-ring & cooler takes a lot of the RE5R05A out & people don't want to spend money on them.
So I end up swapping them out for friends/family or a customer who daily drives a Nissan. I've done 4 so far & all have worked out fine by swapping the Valve Body/TCM & Torque Converter.

On one's that have ingested coolant.....You must have the Converter rebuilt & take the Valve Body apart to clean it.
I always suggest new solenoids as well.....But they seem to live through a coolant bath after a good solvent cleaning. "

The RE5R05A transmission was used in multiple applications, but could have different gearing.
(I don't usually like quoting Wikipedia, but...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco_5R05_transmission
The Pathfinder and Xterra seem to share the same "type" (notice that the Frontier isn't included, don't know why).
The 2005-2012 Pathfinder seems to use the same transmission (and gearing).

So, I would think that any transmission in the R51 model range would work. But based on the above thread about the transmissions, I would take those precautions into consideration.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the trans was replaced, then contaminated, and that's when you changed the parts? I think there is more to fix than just the valve body if there has been contamination.

I posted this in another thread...

(Disclaimer: I have no experience with this transmission swap, and have only compiled information from the web and my opinion.)

I can't find any specific answer, but reading about others in the Nissan family (Xterra, Frontier) trying the same thing I've found this:
www.thenewx.org

Transmission Compatibility Compilation
I just joined this forum as I have been a lurker for some time. I spent most of the day today going through hundreds of threads about transmission compatibility. Everyone seems to have there own opinions on what does and doesn't work while others seem to go back and forth. It seems to me that...
www.thenewx.org
www.thenewx.org
"You can interchange any RE5R05A IF precautions are taken......

*If you have a 4wd....Buy a 4wd transmission!
*The TCM is matched to the vehicle.
*The Valve Body is matched to the vehicle & the Torque Converter.

*TCC Apply Pressure is regulated to different pressures depending on the application, The Valve Body MUST match the vehicle & torque converter.

*The "Shift Adaptives" must be reset with a capable scan tool.

*If your not comfortable with using the original converter.....Have it rebuilt.

As you already know....The snap-ring & cooler takes a lot of the RE5R05A out & people don't want to spend money on them.
So I end up swapping them out for friends/family or a customer who daily drives a Nissan. I've done 4 so far & all have worked out fine by swapping the Valve Body/TCM & Torque Converter.

On one's that have ingested coolant.....You must have the Converter rebuilt & take the Valve Body apart to clean it.
I always suggest new solenoids as well.....But they seem to live through a coolant bath after a good solvent cleaning. "

The RE5R05A transmission was used in multiple applications, but could have different gearing.
(I don't usually like quoting Wikipedia, but...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco_5R05_transmission
The Pathfinder and Xterra seem to share the same "type" (notice that the Frontier isn't included, don't know why).
The 2005-2012 Pathfinder seems to use the same transmission (and gearing).

So, I would think that any transmission in the R51 model range would work. But based on the above thread about the transmissions, I would take those precautions into consideration.
So what do you think the problem with the reprogramming is?

· Registered
57 Posts
Fyi: Many have just bypassed the radiator with no issues- I did that many years ago before any contamination could occur if the cooler failed. That was maybe 2009 and I'm driving it today (a 2006).
Looking at those codes, it's possible there is an electrical issue or wiring problem. If the speed sensor isn't talking to the computer, then it might make sense that any reprogramming would fail.
I can't find anything about different versions of the transmission, instead it seems the trans is the same but maybe different valve bodies used. I found this website that discusses this: RE5R05A Facts and Observations - Transmission Digest

As for your issue, I would look for an electrical issue to solve the error codes, then maybe try the reprogramming.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fyi: Many have just bypassed the radiator with no issues- I did that many years ago before any contamination could occur if the cooler failed. That was maybe 2009 and I'm driving it today (a 2006).
Looking at those codes, it's possible there is an electrical issue or wiring problem. If the speed sensor isn't talking to the computer, then it might make sense that any reprogramming would fail.
I can't find anything about different versions of the transmission, instead it seems the trans is the same but maybe different valve bodies used. I found this website that discusses this: RE5R05A Facts and Observations - Transmission Digest

As for your issue, I would look for an electrical issue to solve the error codes, then maybe try the reprogramming.
I’ll definitely look into that

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I’m going to change the harness out in the transmission. Also anyone know where the id plate or w.e for the transmission would be located, I’m curious to see what it went to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts