Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Would you buy a non CVT version?

• HECK YES!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No I love the CVT and the better mileage!

Votes: 11 47.8%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the exaggeration and worry about the CVT problems - would you prefer to buy a Pathfinder with a regular automatic transmission?

Just curious. Keep in mind the car would prob loose 2-3mpg of mileage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Before I answer, keep one thing in mind:

The problem with the Pathfinder CVT appears NOT to be a CVT issue - it's a problem with the torque converter. Torque converter problems have plagued many other vehicles recently, one that I was reading about was the GMC Acadia and it spanned several model years so GM was not fast in identifying and fixing the problem. Let's be clear on exactly what the problem is.

So currently it appears the Pathfinder CVT is performing fine, we're still in the first model year so we'll have to wait and see how it holds up but sticking to the current facts I don't think its fair to label the CVT unreliable. Nissan has hit the 10 year anniversary of using CVT's, and other than some first model year issues, the CVT has consistently hit high-mileage, reliablity benchmarks equal to or better than conventional tranny's.

To answer you question, "yes" I would rather have a conventional auto transmission in the Pathfinder even with the mpg loss for the simple fact that I keep my vehicles for a long period of time, if and when I run into tranny problems (which is bound to happen with any vehicle once you put on enough miles), I would like to be able to service the tranny - full rebuild or partial repair, whatever is necessary. With the CVT, this is not possible, it is not a servicable part, if you have problems all you can do is purchase a new replacement unit, around $6000 for the Pathfinder.

Also with a conventional transmission, when you get internal wear its not such a big deal, you will notice some hard shifts and some banging noises but the tranny will not leave you stranded, it will keep running for thousands of more miles in many cases even with worn internals. A CVT on the other hand has tighter tolerances, and if you get some component wear it can leave you stranded and in need of a new unit.

But, if the Pathfinder had a conventional tranny and the 2-3 mpg lower efficiency, it would lose some of its competitive edge. Competitition is so tight, that I'm sure Nissan is winning some battles in consumers minds because it is 2-3 mpg better than the closest competitors, take that advantage away and the decision gets much tougher.

·
Registered
196 Posts
With all the exaggeration and worry about the CVT problems - would you prefer to buy a Pathfinder with a regular automatic transmission?

Just curious. Keep in mind the car would prob loose 2-3mpg of mileage.
I say CVT but wait for next years model when the issues have been fixed. I agree with Kerrton, CVT is necessary to keep the PF competitive with the other brands. I don't think new consumers would put up with that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The problem with the Pathfinder CVT appears NOT to be a CVT issue - it's a problem with the torque converter. Torque converter problems have plagued many other vehicles recently, one that I was reading about was the GMC Acadia and it spanned several model years so GM was not fast in identifying and fixing the problem. Let's be clear on exactly what the problem is.
Given the confidence of your above statement, I have to assume that Nissan has publicly stated that the torque converter is the cause of the judder/power loss issue, and you haven't simply convinced yourself (and now others) that this is the cause.

Please link to Nissan providing confirmation of the torque converter defect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just read my original post, I said "appears to be" the torque converter, I made absolutely no claims about being an expert on the issue. This is of course awaiting confirmation, we all know this, come on man.

You know as well as I do that the problem hasn't been solved yet and we have no magic crystal ball to see the inner workings of Nissan's engineering department.

If the problem ends up being related to the CVT itself then our conversation will take an appropriate alternate course, but as of now there are reports from numerous owners who have been told by their service department that the problem is the torque converter - wait for updated information as its available.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just read my original post, I said "appears to be" the torque converter, I made absolutely no claims about being an expert on the issue. This is of course awaiting confirmation, we all know this, come on man.
You actually stated outright that "it's a problem with the torque converter", and then confidently requested that we "be clear on exactly what the problem is" implying those who think of the issue being a problem with the CVT as wrong.

Regardless, it was these confident and definitive statements which led to me thinking that Nissan had confirmed this, which they obviously haven't.

Moving swiftly on...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since my SL awd does not have ANY problems in the first 5000 miles I am happy with the cvt.
It was built in Feb. I like the superior towing ability of the cvt and the mileage is great. I have owned a Murano and an Altima so I am used to the cvt. I now prefer it.

Harvey

·
Registered
108 Posts
My first and only CVT was in my 2010 Maxima. I was concerned about getting it because of watching all the TV auto show presenters that really don't like CVT's. I asked the mechanic at the dealership what these new CVT's were like and he said "they are not new they have been in the Murano for years and I have never had to repair one".
This is my forth Maxima and I am here to say by far the best and the CVT has allot to do with that.
I am now looking at a Pathfinder and trading in my 15 year old Frontier. If there was a choice of Automatic, Standard, or CVT I would pick CVT every time. It is smooth, responsive and economical.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my Pathfinder..... but, unless this problem is fixed, it will be traded before the warranty ends. And,the new car will not be a Nissan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The cvt in my Maxima is fantastic and one of the reasons why I bought the new pathfinder. I'm hoping all goes well with the fix (no judder here yet).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my Pathfinder because it had a CVT. I was really happy with my wife's Altima, so we got the Pathfinder and traded in her Altima for a Quest. Now her Quest has been butter smooth just like her Altima and I've had the problems, but I'm waiting on the torque converter parts to arrive for my PF.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought my Pathfinder because it had a CVT. I was really happy with my wife's Altima, so we got the Pathfinder and traded in her Altima for a Quest. Now her Quest has been butter smooth just like her Altima and I've had the problems, but I'm waiting on the torque converter parts to arrive for my PF.
Is Nissan replacing the parts for you? Or are they just sending you the parts and do it yourself?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is Nissan replacing the parts for you? Or are they just sending you the parts and do it yourself?
Do it myself? No, the parts arrived and they'll be doing the work on Tuesday next week. They said it would probably take them two days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts