Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a 2017 Pathy and lately (with in the last 2 weeks or so) I've noticed the windshield gets foggy coming from the defogger vents when the defogger is not on. The after putting on the defogger to get rid of the fog a fumey smell comes out as if I have a leak somewhere. Along with the smell the defogger is emitting a chemical on the windshield which smears when trying to wipe and defogger does not for lack of a better phrase DEFOG. I've checked under the hood, and I don't smell the same smell that's in the car, and I checked under the car and I don't have any leaks. Not sure what the problem is, but I would like to know what the problem is before I go to the mechanic. Hope it's an easy fix. Please help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello All,
I have a 2017 Pathy and lately (with in the last 2 weeks or so) I've noticed the windshield gets foggy coming from the defogger vents when the defogger is not on. The after putting on the defogger to get rid of the fog a fumey smell comes out as if I have a leak somewhere. Along with the smell the defogger is emitting a chemical on the windshield which smears when trying to wipe and defogger does not for lack of a better phrase DEFOG. I've checked under the hood, and I don't smell the same smell that's in the car, and I checked under the car and I don't have any leaks. Not sure what the problem is, but I would like to know what the problem is before I go to the mechanic. Hope it's an easy fix. Please help.
Does anyone know this problem? I really need help.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sounds like a moisture issue. Sounds like water is accumulating somewhere in the system. The fog is condensation, and the smell is mold/mildew. I would start by making sure the water is draining correctly from the front bottom of the windshield. Sometimes those drains get clogged and water floods into places it doesn't belong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a moisture issue. Sounds like water is accumulating somewhere in the system. The fog is condensation, and the smell is mold/mildew. I would start by making sure the water is draining correctly from the front bottom of the windshield. Sometimes those drains get clogged and water floods into places it doesn't belong.
Good morning,
It's not a moldy smell. It smells like anti freeze. I've noticed I'm losing antifreeze, but there aren't any droplets on the ground. I put a piece of cardboard under the car and no droplets.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,168 Posts
It sounds like you have a leak on the heater core. This was a common issue on the Chevy Cruze and the first symptom was the smell of chemicals in the cabin.
How much coolant are you loosing? Engine must be running and heat set to ON for you to detect any leaks.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,239 Posts
If you do have a heater core leak (heater core and A/C evaporator coil are sandwiched together), the fluid has to be pooling somewhere. Not sure how your climate is at the moment, but provided it's warm/humid enough, any time you run the a/c or w/s defrost, you should see water droplets dripping from the front/right-ish side of the vehicle. The condensate drip tube drips into a frame rail of all places, then the condensate drips from the frame. No drippage, means the drain tube is plugged and water is pooling in the plenum somewhere and it will wind up in the interior eventually.

Other than that, have you had the vehicle detailed recently? Could they have sprayed deodorizer in the cowling?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you have a leak on the heater core. This was a common issue on the Chevy Cruze and the first symptom was the smell of chemicals in the cabin.
How much coolant are you loosing? Engine must be running and heat set to ON for you to detect any leaks.
Hey,
Yes I am losing coolant. Heat core ****. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do have a heater core leak (heater core and A/C evaporator coil are sandwiched together), the fluid has to be pooling somewhere. Not sure how your climate is at the moment, but provided it's warm/humid enough, any time you run the a/c or w/s defrost, you should see water droplets dripping from the front/right-ish side of the vehicle. The condensate drip tube drips into a frame rail of all places, then the condensate drips from the frame. No drippage, means the drain tube is plugged and water is pooling in the plenum somewhere and it will wind up in the interior eventually.

Other than that, have you had the vehicle detailed recently? Could they have sprayed deodorizer in the cowling?
Hey,
No water droplets of any kind. Is this a simple fix? I am losing a lot of coolant. I hope it doesn't end up in the interior. Please no. I haven't had the car detailed in a while. Thank you for your help. I gonna get it checked out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts