Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '13 Pathfinder and I am hearing a loud whining noise near the power steering while idling and gets louder when turning left or right. It's my 1st Nissan of any kind...is this a normal sound? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I second that question. Usually I would attribute that to some kind of pump going out, but it's been there for me since day one.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL 4WD
70 Posts
Mine whined a little bit when new, but is perfectly quiet now (at 4500 miles).

I absolutely like the way the steering handles.

If the whine persists, get it looked at under warranty.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've got a '13 Pathfinder and I am hearing a loud whining noise near the power steering while idling and gets louder when turning left or right. It's my 1st Nissan of any kind...is this a normal sound? Thanks.
Mine is silent so I would absolutely not accept that it's "normal" for an electronically assisted system. Take it in. If a dealer tries to tell you it's normal then go out on the lot and drive another one with the tech.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's the sound of the electric power steering. Normal but yes annoying.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pardon me for repeating myself, but this is absolutely NOT normal. Mine is 100% silent. After seeing more people state that sound is to be expected, I went out into my garage with the door closed so the room was silent and turned my wheel - nothing. No whine, no noise, nothing. And during my ride to work today I listened and again nothing.

Old assisted turning systems did whine but that is not the case in newer cars and it definitely not the case in the Pathfinder. I highly doubt mine is somehow the only 13 Pathfinder that doesn't make sounds.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pardon me for repeating myself, but this is absolutely NOT normal. Mine is 100% silent. After seeing more people state that sound is to be expected, I went out into my garage with the door closed so the room was silent and turned my wheel - nothing. No whine, no noise, nothing. And during my ride to work today I listened and again nothing.

Old assisted turning systems did whine but that is not the case in newer cars and it definitely not the case in the Pathfinder. I highly doubt mine is somehow the only 13 Pathfinder that doesn't make sounds.
Its is normal and within normal operating function. Please raise your hood, it's not a whine but rather an electrical motor sound. Just because your ONE experience of poor hearing does not mean your case is the norm, geez. Once again open your hood and the noise is much more prominent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Follow up

I know I am late on this thread, but has anyone gotten any resolution on this item? The fact that my 13 year old Maxima with 242k miles is quieter than my BRAND NEW pathfinder, is ridiculous. Took it back twice, "Motor working as designed".. Really? Its a shame. Ive owned 5 maximas, two sentras, two quests and now my pathfinder. If this is the future, I dont want any part of it. Having to crank the radio in a new car is crazy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is unreal, I just took my car in for the same reason and they told me its normal. I will compare against other Pathfinders in the lot. But people please how can that be considered normal?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Noticed this for the first time the other day when I had the hood open. Could barely hear it over the normal engine noise when I closed the hood though, so no big deal to me.

I did notice while the hood was up that the whine comes and goes for no apparent reason while the car is running but stationary. That does seem sort of odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the 2014 Pathfinder in Oct 11. However, so far the experience has been disappointing.

I never expected to have this type of situation that is very uncomfortable to me causing headaches an migrant every time I drive it, also the passenger that drive with me on the car can listen to this uncomfortable noise/defect of this unit.
In the manual it states that a high pitch sound will be audible while the steering wheel is being turned; however, the noise, which comes from within the dashboard, doesn’t only occur during steering---it is incessant from the moment I start the engine till I turn the car off. This high pitch noise is very bothersome. Driving the car is much less enjoyable than I had anticipated.
I took it to the dealer and they told me that his is part of the unit operations or functions, I can’t understand that the company sells car with this type of defect as a Nissan Canada Representative specified and agreed that this is common on this Units.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I purchased the 2014 Pathfinder in Oct 11. However, so far the experience has been disappointing.

I never expected to have this type of situation that is very uncomfortable to me causing headaches an migrant every time I drive it, also the passenger that drive with me on the car can listen to this uncomfortable noise/defect of this unit.
In the manual it states that a high pitch sound will be audible while the steering wheel is being turned; however, the noise, which comes from within the dashboard, doesn’t only occur during steering---it is incessant from the moment I start the engine till I turn the car off. This high pitch noise is very bothersome. Driving the car is much less enjoyable than I had anticipated.
I took it to the dealer and they told me that his is part of the unit operations or functions, I can’t understand that the company sells car with this type of defect as a Nissan Canada Representative specified and agreed that this is common on this Units.
Please don't cross-post. One post on the subject, in one thread is more than enough to register your concern.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have started noticing this on my 2015 PF since last couple of weeks. It has 4500 miles.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,766 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The whinning noise on my 2015 PF came after around 10,000kms. Just came from the dealer today. I was told they put insulation in the steering pump, but still the noise persist, though lesser than yesterday. Is there any way to totally eradicate the unfriendly noise?

·
Registered
578 Posts
All though seems like some are much noisier than others?? I don't hear mine on the Durango at all just saying

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,766 Posts
I don't hear mine. Strange how some do and some don't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts