Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I brought 3 tool boxes full of tools, they are mainly Imperial sizes with a few metric. Also, I gave so many away I am now looking at replacements.

The question I have relates to which are best tools to buy for infrequent DIY? I notice Autozone have tools branded as Duralast (Autozones own brand) many of which come with Life Time guarantee.

Are Duralst tools something you would buy?

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,718 Posts
For "infrequent" DIY, I'd look at Harbor Freight. Seriously. It's one thing to fix things for a living and quite another to just have something on hand that you need that won't break the bank. They're return policy is pretty generous if you just feel you need better quality. Check them out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For "infrequent" DIY, I'd look at Harbor Freight. Seriously. It's one thing to fix things for a living and quite another to just have something on hand that you need that won't break the bank. They're return policy is pretty generous if you just feel you need better quality. Check them out.
I second that, plus, there Pittsburgh line has lifetime warranty on most of their tools, so if you need a replacement, they got you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have 2 schools of thought. For a tool I use more regularly, I buy a good name. Hand tools used to be Craftmen but now that Sears is no longer, not sure if anyone is honoring their guarantee. If it's a specialty tool that I may use once or twice, I go Harbor Freight as others have mentioned. I actually have not had anything from HF break on my so they are probably fine for all the part-time DYI'ers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They are even fine for the full-timers. There is nothing at all wrong with using HF stuff. I have tons of it, and if something breaks, I replace it on my way home. Mac and Snap-On only come once a week, and if it's not on the truck, I have to wait another week.

I use the 72" US General box too. It does the same exact thing as the ones that are $8k.

They aren't quite as nice I guess. Brands have a strange effect on us. The reviews are pretty accurate as a whole. I don't bother reading what people wrote, just the overall rating.

I'd definitely get a set of ratcheting wrenches. Extra long handles too. There's nothing worse than struggling with stuff without leverage.

Any brand will work. Whatever fits your budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts