Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say that I've ever seen a puddle under this car from the air conditioner defrosting. And when I get it and start it after it has sat for a few days, it stinks like a refrigerator defrosting. Where does the drain hose exit? I am wondering if my is clogged or maybe worse, pulled off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
This is common to all airconditioners. My Dodge even had a recall where they sprayed anti-mould/mildew on the condenser. Made little difference.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My '94 Civic, '99 Caravan and '03 Tribute always had the odor problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Volvo CrossCountry has a sensor that detects moisture in the evoporator box (the box inside the cabin with cold fins that the air blows over). If there is excessive moisture after the car has been shut off, it waits a half an hour for the evporator fins to melt off, and then turns the fan on. That dries out the evaporator box, so there isn't any moisture to make the stink.

All the other cars I have had have had the stink issue to some degree. The worst was a 74 Duster with an aftermarket AC, it just blew air inside the cabin like recirculate mode, it couldn't get fresh air to somewhat keep the evaporator dry. This Pathfinder is number two on the worst list. I can't believe there isn't something goofy going on with it, it smells like a bottle of vinegar broke in it for about the first 10 minutes of driving.

I have a lift in my back garage. I had the PF on it yesterday changing the oil, I should have looked around yesterday while I was under there. If I had found it, I could have blown on it to see if there is an obstruction or kink keeping water in the evap box.

Sooo... y'all are noticing a little more smell than most cars?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have noticed the smell in my car too. I believe this happened because i had to park my car on the slope while home renovation was taking place. After some digging i found this:

and this:

I believe this has to do with either clogged ac drain or car not being parked on the leveled surface. The strange part is that it has just started happening now. I don't recall smelling anything last year. As you can see there is quite a lot of water under under the cover on the passenger side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where is the A/C condensation drain located? I have moisture on both drivers and passengers side carpets. Our driveway is on a slope and have been parking there for over a year so I don't think that is the issue. I am hoping that the drain is clogged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still looking for the AC drain on my 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. Any help would be appreciated.
Ive got a 2014 parthfinder and have the same problem. I looked under the car and could not find a drain hose. Pulled the rh foot trim piece off. The inside piece closest to the middle and found the drain hose . Squirted water down the tube and it came out the body under the lh side . I noticed there was a little bit of rust around where the water came out. Very poor design if the tube just goes in the frame and not under the car. Rust potential. Im in Australia so RH drive

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed the smell in my car too. I believe this happened because i had to park my car on the slope while home renovation was taking place. After some digging i found this:

and this:

I believe this has to do with either clogged ac drain or car not being parked on the leveled surface. The strange part is that it has just started happening now. I don't recall smelling anything last year. As you can see there is quite a lot of water under under the cover on the passenger side.
I have a similar problem with my 2013 Pathfinder. However, it has been raining for over 2 weeks. The roof rack seal and windshield seal are junk, no AC odor, and I park outside on level ground. This seems to be a common problem. Your pictures look exacting like my wet vehicle. As far as the sunroof, the left front hinge of the is broken (it doesn't have any resistance), but it does close. Any warranty? Desperate and soggy....don't want to be moldy too. Thanks! Shannon

·
Registered
89 Posts
Probably no warranty on a 2013, unfortunately.

One tip for water intrusion - you HAVE to use the recirculation button on the hvac unit if you are going through carwashes or the water can get into the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts