Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To pathfinder that is. It looked as if Nissan was going to have a formidable one-two punch on their hands but with Pathfinder now limping around town, the 2014 Rogue may be poised to pick up even more sales in the process.

The Rogue is already Nissans second most sold model in the U.S behind the Altima, 142,349 units in 2012 and 137,588 2013 YTD. Those are all coming at the tail end of a design cycle.

From base there is a $6K gap in MSRP between Rogue and Pathfinder, with range topping SL starting at $28,070. Only a single engine is available across all model derivatives, a 2.5L DOHC 4 Cylinder that cracks out a modest 170 hp and 175 lb-fts.

However, the biggest asset in the 2014 Rogues weapon chest will be the addition of a new third row, albeit a tiny one.

Couple that with the ongoing maelstrom of recalls, judders and shudders could divert plenty of showroom traffic in the rogues direction especially if the third row is not being counted on for regular usage.

The styling is bang on and the price is just right...

what does everyone think?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the rogue is a kick *** looking vehicle. I'm tried to convince my wife to go that route for her car, but she wanted the Chevy equinox instead.
For me it's a bit small to carry the stuff I need and I need the towing option so I stayed with the PF.
The rogue is a winner and I really don,t see the need for the
Murano in the lineup

·
Registered
440 Posts
The rogue is a winner and I really don,t see the need for the Murano in the lineup
I mostly agree, but Nissan would have to come out with a Pathfinder light or a Rogue deluxe with 5 seats and a V6.

Better yet, remake it as a sport crossover and put a variant of the 370Z's 3.7L in it with a sport-tuned suspension!

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,304 Posts
I hardly see Rogues in my area. Everything is Murano, Murano, Murano.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I mostly agree, but Nissan would have to come out with a Pathfinder light or a Rogue deluxe with 5 seats and a V6.

Better yet, remake it as a sport crossover and put a variant of the 370Z's 3.7L in it with a sport-tuned suspension!
Pretty much just described the Murano

·
Registered
440 Posts
Pretty much just described the Murano
The Murano is a 3.7? I thought it was a 3.5.

And I thought I read that the Rogue was introduced as a sportier version of the Murano. Doesn't the Rogue offer a manual "shift" sport mode like the Maxima?

Either way, the Murano's styling is definely less aggressive and more subdued than any other Nissan models, IMHO. It doesn't scream aggressive crossover so much as pleasant retired soccer mom.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't see the Rogue competing with the Pathfinder at all. Have you been in one? They are TINY. And the 3rd row is almost impossible to use unless you are an infant. To me, no comparison.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hate those tiny third rows of seats in vehicles. But I think I only hate them when I have to sit in them. If other people have to sit in them then they seem pretty handy. Do you think adding that third row of seats will raise the price an awful lot?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't see the Rogue competing with the Pathfinder at all. Have you been in one? They are TINY. And the 3rd row is almost impossible to use unless you are an infant. To me, no comparison.
Perhaps not "no comparison".

We arrived at the Pathfinder after finding the (higher) price of the Santa Fe too much to swallow. We only have one infant child (so far), so the 3rd row is mostly to make up for the seat lost to the car seat. We haven't even used it once yet.

I think, now that I realize my average fuel economy in the pathfinder is only 17 mpg, I probably wouldn't make the same choice again. A Rogue with a 3rd row would be perfect for us. But I wouldn't want a three row SUV, even a compact crossover, with a 4 cylinder engine.

So, basically, Nissan is still missing a midsize seven-seater with a V6, and will probably split those buyers between the Rogue and the Pathfinder.

Reactions: patches

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We arrived at the Pathfinder after finding the (higher) price of the Santa Fe too much to swallow. We only have one infant child (so far), so the 3rd row is mostly to make up for the seat lost to the car seat. We haven't even used it once yet.

I think, now that I realize my average fuel economy in the pathfinder is only 17 mpg, I probably wouldn't make the same choice again. A Rogue with a 3rd row would be perfect for us. But I wouldn't want a three row SUV, even a compact crossover, with a 4 cylinder engine.

So, basically, Nissan is still missing a midsize seven-seater with a V6, and will probably split those buyers between the Rogue and the Pathfinder.
yes that was the point of the write up. No way will Rogue and PF directly compete because there will be buyers that need exactly what Pathfinder offers. However, for those still undecided and for those that don't necessarily NEED towing or seating for 7 adults the rogue will perform more than admirably.

I don;t get the Murano, I always thought it was a sports SUV along the lines of Infinitis FX, but its not. Just a FWD jellybean.

·
Registered
207 Posts
While sitting in the dealership this am waiting for my car to get a little work, I sat in a rogue and it just felt chincy and plasticy to me. Maybe I'm spoiled from the years of PFs.
looking at it closely, I could never imagine a third row being comfortable.

the Murano was one of the best most comfortable cars I ever had (I've had two of them)
they lost me when they made the interior dash look like a school bus (just my opinion) and never offered a 4WD. Still I think there could be a viable market for these.

·
Registered
80 Posts

I own the 1st gen Rogue, and it has been an amazing car all around for a family with one small child. We get an average of 26 mpg, the car handles awesome, with great feedback through the steering, and the power is fine - the engine works really well with the CVT. Honestly I wouldn't change much about this car except maybe a bit of interior refinement - although I appreciate the utilitarian look that the first gen has.

On the flip size, if you need a bigger car, and have the space to park it - the most logical choice is a minivan. I was set on getting the Pathfinder and test drove it 4 times before my 2nd was born (1st and second are 15 months apart), but when I picked up my wife from the hospital the choice was clear - we needed the space and versatility only a van can offer. We bought an Odyssey same week. It sits 8 *comfortably* with lots of space left for luggage, gets 25 MPG average and drives like a large sport luxury sedan (think BMW 7). The cool toys include two giant screens on the dash, one of which can act as a right rear-view mirror minus the blind spot. All for the price of a non-leather pathfinder.

All this writing is making me want to go drive it some more. I've put almost 1500 miles on it in three weeks - mostly just for fun.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'l still surprised the Nissan Rogue and Pathfinder come with an amazing interior, an interior that can be easily rebadged as an Infiniti.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Rogue has undergone a great update, but I don't think the Rogue will be affecting PF sales in any meaningful way. It's competition is the likes of the Escape, CX-5, CRV, RAV, etc.

The 3rd row in the Rogue, while providing flexibility, seems a bit silly, and it would seem to struggle lugging 5+ passenger around with 170HP.

I would also have liked to see it come in a Platinum level to mirror the PF levels.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just have to wonder why Nissan would give the Rogue a third row and leave Murano as a 5er?
I'm guessing it's a reaction to the 80% redesigned Kia Sorento and the all new Hyundai Santa Fe LWB (formerly known as Veracruz). Both start in the mid-20s and offer a compelling set of features for young families who don't want a minivan. If you'll be hauling kids (or their friends) in the 3rd row, it doesn't need to comfortably seat an adult.

The interesting thing is that the Hyundai is only available as an I4 with two rows or a V6 with three. The Kia is available with an I4 or V6 regardless of whether you add the third row. This is definitely a segment that automakers are still trying to feel out, and it seems that there is no definite power/weight requirement clearly defined by consumer buying behavior yet.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The ROgue is a nice car but its noticably smaller than the Pathfinder

At least it wont have CVT problems :p

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm guessing it's a reaction to the 80% redesigned Kia Sorento and the all new Hyundai Santa Fe LWB (formerly known as Veracruz). Both start in the mid-20s and offer a compelling set of features for young families who don't want a minivan. If you'll be hauling kids (or their friends) in the 3rd row, it doesn't need to comfortably seat an adult.

The interesting thing is that the Hyundai is only available as an I4 with two rows or a V6 with three. The Kia is available with an I4 or V6 regardless of whether you add the third row. This is definitely a segment that automakers are still trying to feel out, and it seems that there is no definite power/weight requirement clearly defined by consumer buying behavior yet.
yea but that Santa Fe LWB is just as big as pathy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought this was a pathfinder forum. What kind of BS is this giant rogue ad and what's it doing here?

If I wanted a small car like a Rogue, I could just get a Toyota Rav4 which is better in every way, especially reliability. But the RAV4 was too small for me and I want something bigger so I'm looking at the pathfinder. The Rogue is not really an SUV IT'S TOO SMALL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Disappointed in the Rogue, 2008 anyway. Bought new Nov 2007, worked well for 5 years then at 53,000 miles started to fall apart. After new computer, mileage dropped from 24 to 18. Easy fix, bought 2014 Pathfinder SL w/Tech package. Now get 20 mpg combined city/highway besides stepping up to real comfort and roooooooom.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts