Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering what type of gas do you guys use? I currently using premium on my PF because it such a new vehicle and don't wanna damage anything.. What type of gas do you all prefer using?

·
Registered
151 Posts
87...doesn't ping or run rough and gets great mileage. The manual states using gas with an octane rating above 87, meaning 87 won't harm a thing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey everyone, I was wondering what type of gas do you guys use? I currently using premium on my PF because it such a new vehicle and don't wanna damage anything.. What type of gas do you all prefer using?
Using premium because of the extra horsepower....LOL

87 is recommended and anything more is a waste of money.

PEOPLE READ YOUR MANUALS PLEASE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use octane 88. In NM they carry 86, 88, and 91. The pathfinder calls for 87, so I am stuck with 88. Not sure why that is for NM. I have been to TX, AZ and CA with my pathfinder and regular unleaded in those states is 87 but for some reason regular unleaded in NM is 86.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I use octane 88. In NM they carry 86, 88, and 91. The pathfinder calls for 87, so I am stuck with 88. Not sure why that is for NM. I have been to TX, AZ and CA with my pathfinder and regular unleaded in those states is 87 but for some reason regular unleaded in NM is 86.
The reason for that is because a lot of New Mexico is higher elevation. Lower the octane number the easier the gas combust in the engine. With higher elevation and thus lower oxygen in the air the gas has to be lower fuel octane level. Around Denver, co they run around 83-85 as regular. 86 will run fine in the pathfinder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've always used the mid-grade, but primarily for improved cleaning agents (supposedly). I figure the lowest grade is a blend of whatever, but nothing to back it up. In Colorado the low is 85, Mid 87, and Premium 91

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've always used the mid-grade, but primarily for improved cleaning agents (supposedly). I figure the lowest grade is a blend of whatever, but nothing to back it up. In Colorado the low is 85, Mid 87, and Premium 91
Higher octane does not mean more cleaning agents, all gas from a single station is going to have the same cleaning agents no matter the octane level.

·
Registered
138 Posts
87 and thank God for that! Some stations it is almost a $.40 cent difference between premium and regular. That really adds up when you travel a lot! (and it is part of the reason I used to justify to my wife that we needed to get the new PF! Ha)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use 87 because the manual told me to. I'm not an expert on engines, but wouldn't using premium in an engine rated for regular cause more build-up of carbon in the engine? I remember someone telling me once that an engine with a lower compression doesn't build enough heat to completely burn premium fuel leading to excess carbon on the valves and such. I think premium is for high compression/turbo engines and rich people.

·
Registered
151 Posts
While we're on the subject: Anyone know if the newer Murano's still suggest premium fuel? My wife's 2009 Murano suggests that.
It does not. I'm pretty sure that changed in '12. I know the '13's suggest regular in the manual...I know this because we're driving a new Murano now while the PF is awaiting a new tranny.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I reset the computer to "0" to do a mileage test. All the driving was with four people on board, 75% in town & 25% country, all in FWD Auto. The SUV has 1000 miles on it. Used Esso regular gas.

The onboard computer read 21.2 MPG US or 11.1 Liter/100KM.

My calculations are as follows:
20.4 MPG US
24.48 MPG IMP
11.5 Liter/100KM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Knock sensors

Nearly all modern cars have knock sensors that detect pre-detonation (pinging) and retard the timing. The Pathfinder is tuned to run optimally on 87 octane, more will not do anything for you. The JX35's timing is tuned for higher octane, it gets a bit more HP when you put the pricey stuff in, but using 87 octane won't hurt it. That's why the JX35 with the same engine is rated at 265 hp vs 260 for the PF.

If stations weren't so greedy with overcharging for high octane fuel (it really only costs a few cents more than 87 to refine), I'd like a vehicle that takes advantage of higher octane. But at 40 cents or more premium for premium, I wanted something made for regular.

BTW, a station owner once told me that the mid-grade is often the same stuff as high octane. To avoid bringing in extra trucks they just fill the mid-grade tanks with premium.

·
Registered
440 Posts
BTW, a station owner once told me that the mid-grade is often the same stuff as high octane. To avoid bringing in extra trucks they just fill the mid-grade tanks with premium.
Some stations only have two tanks, regular and premium. Mid-grade is just a 50-50 mix of the two.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts