Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried the following tires:
1. Stock continentals only lasted about 25-30K miles
2. Currently have Pirelli Scorpions. They seem pretty low now at 71K miles (lasted 41K miles). Almost didn't pass NY state inspection a month ago with them on and since winter is coming and would like to go skiing need to change them...

Any suggestions? I live in Weschester County, NY so we get everything snow, ice, rain. Looking for a tire that can handle that...

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2002 BMW 325XI

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,204 Posts
I don't live very far from you and I changeover to winter tires after Thanksgiving on both of my vehicles. The stock Contis have served us well during the warm season and in the winter I switch over to Blizzaks. If you go to ski country in the winter, I wouldn't rely on all-season tires.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't live very far from you and I changeover to winter tires after Thanksgiving on both of my vehicles. The stock Contis have served us well during the warm season and in the winter I switch over to Blizzaks. If you go to ski country in the winter, I wouldn't rely on all-season tires.
Would love to do summer and winter tires but I have no place to store them so I have to rely on all season tires. Been ok with them, although winter tires would have been great...

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,281 Posts
I was looking at some relatively new Goodyear's that claim to be a true all season, they are highly rated on snow (for an all season), but decided on other brand since I already had a Winter set.
Any tire good during Winter will wear faster that those that aren't.

Goodyear Assurance

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just installed the stock tire size 235 65 18 Sumitomo HTR AS P02. Love them so far. I wanted something close to a summer tire since it's summer all year long in Miami FL. Unfortunately for a big tire, suv tire theres not many options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put on Goodyear assurance weather ready. Supposed to be an all weather tire. I've driven it in extreme heat in Phoenix and -20C/ 2F in Wyoming. Handled well. Time will tell if they last! It's definitively a compromise tire though. Not excellent in either category but good enough for it all

·
Super Moderator
4,204 Posts
It's definitively a compromise tire though. Not excellent in either category but good enough for it all
That's the definition of an all-season tire... jack of all trades, but master of none.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michelin Defender LTX. Awesome tire. So much so that I sold my Nokian Hakka winters. And we get WINTER up here.
Costco is running a promotion on the Michelin Defender LTX now so I'm going to go for that I think this time. Also helps they have a 70K mile warranty. So disappointed that Pirelli Scorpion didn't have any warranty apparently...

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my mind, the Michelin is the tire. Around here, you just have to suck it up and pay around $200 more to get them. Mnay times, I just ask what is the best deal. That deal on a non-Michelin can put the spread to the Michelin at $300 to $350.

·
Super Moderator
4,204 Posts
I like to visit the Tire Rack site when I am in the market for new tires. There are so many variables to consider and what you need in a tire varies from person-to person. They rate tires on those variables and the review section provides people's experiences with the vehicle and type of driving you will be doing. I have also asked the staff questions and have always gotten reasonable answers without any sales pressure. They're an excellent resource.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
465 Posts
I have gotten some crazy long service life out of Michelin tires, but tend not to pay up for them for 4x4/AWD vehicles. Reason being is my luck with punctures. Wound a tire too close to the sidewall and you are potentially out all 4 tires on an AWD/4x4 vehicle.

My typical go-to is Cooper, Mastercraft, Douglas from Walmart and even mail order no-namers for my own vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,204 Posts
My typical go-to is Cooper, Mastercraft, Douglas from Walmart and even mail order no-namers for my own vehicle.
Be very careful of where tires are manufactured. On the RV forum that I frequent, the members refer to tires made in Asia as "China Bombs" because they have been known to rupture and explode.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
465 Posts
Be very careful of where tires are manufactured. On the RV forum that I frequent, the members refer to tires made in Asia as "China Bombs" because they have been known to rupture and explode.
That hasn't been my experience with them, but I too would probably go a different route if I was towing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like to visit the Tire Rack site when I am in the market for new tires. There are so many variables to consider and what you need in a tire varies from person-to person. They rate tires on those variables and the review section provides people's experiences with the vehicle and type of driving you will be doing. I have also asked the staff questions and have always gotten reasonable answers without any sales pressure. They're an excellent resource.
I've looked at tire rack but the problem is that there are so many choices and the big proble for tire rack is the reviews are for a particular brand and model tire. The problem with that is that on sedans tires behave completely differently than SUVs. My 3 series BMW has never wore out a tire to its tread depth. I've always had to replace tires on it because they were 10+ years old and the rubber looked old. On the pathfinder they actually wear out because of tread depth. Same exact model and make of tire. Go figure!!!

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Super Moderator
4,204 Posts
My 3 series BMW has never wore out a tire to its tread depth. I've always had to replace tires on it because they were 10+ years old and the rubber looked old.
Please tell me what brand and model tire that was! As you know, I also have a bimmer and have never been faced with that problem!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Please tell me what brand and model tire that was! As you know, I also have a bimmer and have never been faced with that problem!
Pirelli P4. "Consumer Reports said the P4 Four Seasons is “a well-rounded all-season tire and the longest-wearing tire Consumer Reports tested.” - pretty much sums up my experience with them.

currently have Pirelli P6 because I couldn't find the P4 the last time I needed tires but they are behaving the same.

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Super Moderator
4,204 Posts
Good to know. (y) I'll have to remember that when it comes time for new skins for the bimmer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts