Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that Nissan has sold about 40,000 2013 PFs -and it's one of their best sellers. Does anyone know what percentage of vehicles or how likely it is that one will experience this? I just bought (month ago) a 2013 10/12 build and have 850 miles on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd be interested to know those figures as well. Just from what I've gathered from my service adviser, they're starting to see "a bunch" of pathfinders rolling in with the shudder issue. Certainly a change from "we've heard of it but yours is the first we've seen".

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Something Nissan will have to disclose to us. I doubt it will happen though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my pathfinder in the shop for service and recalls and again mentioned the shudder and they finally have a bulletin on it and the dealer is ordering a torque converter which should fix the problem. keeping my fingers crossed....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had my pathfinder in the shop for service and recalls and again mentioned the shudder and they finally have a bulletin on it and the dealer is ordering a torque converter which should fix the problem. keeping my fingers crossed....
Hopefully it does fix yours. Apparently that parts been redesigned 3 or 4 times now so maybe they have it figured out...I got one of the early redesigned units and it didn't fix mine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I purchased my Pathfinder at a large Nissan dealership in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. While talking with one of their reps on the phone, she told me they were dealing with 20-25 customers who had the shuttering issues on their 2013 Pathfinders. She did say that not everyone had the problem. I would suspect that 20 -25 is a small percentage of their overall sales.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Spent the morning at the dealership (again). My sales guy told me they had sold around 400 2013 Pathfinders at their dealership. The service manager told me that my original number of 20-25 customers dealing with the shudder issue was on the low side. It does not seem to the isolated problem that Nissan is saying it is.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Spent the morning at the dealership (again). My sales guy told me they had sold around 400 2013 Pathfinders at their dealership. The service manager told me that my original number of 20-25 customers dealing with the shudder issue was on the low side. It does not seem to the isolated problem that Nissan is saying it is.
Nissan and other automotive manufacturers do not spend the time and money developing recalls, technical service bulletins and new parts and computer programs for issues that are minor. The amount of effort that Nissan has put into fixing the problem (to date) makes it self evident how extensive the problem is.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think if Nissan had a definite fix for this issue they would initiate a total recall of all 2013 Pathfinders. Right now I think Nissan is just experimenting with possible fixes, using their customers as guinea pigs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think if Nissan had a definite fix for this issue they would initiate a total recall of all 2013 Pathfinders. Right now I think Nissan is just experimenting with possible fixes, using their customers as guinea pigs.

I do believe you are right... sad but totally true.....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Looks like the problem is more widespread than Nissan is letting on.
I totally agree with this statement.

I've said it before, but I still contend that this issue is a design flaw, not a production failure. Given the right set of circumstances, I would bet anything that every Pathfinder would do the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shudder Problems

We bought our 2013 Pathfinder in Dec. 2012. Before the first 1,000 miles we experienced "shudder" issues. It would not happen all the time and it was very difficult to duplicate. On the 3rd trip to the dealership for the same problem, and after they were able to duplicate it, the torque converter was replaced in July 2013. The car had approx. 8,000 miles.

I have experienced a few shudder problems since the TQ was replaced but nothing major until today. The problem usually appears when driving 20-25 mph and again at 40 mph. It is the worst when going uphill or turning corners. Today it was so bad, I pulled over multiple times. The cabin also filled with the smell of gasoline. I made it to the dealership and told them I was scared enough where I would not be driving the Pathfinder home.

The Service Manager brought his computer in the car and we were off to duplicate the problem so they could record the results. We only had to drive 5 miles before it registered several "severe" transmission issues as well as many less significant problems but they were still bad enough to feel. My PF currently has 11,100 miles.

They were in contact with the engineers and transmitted the results of the tests. My car is now at the dealership awaiting a brand new transmission to arrive for replacement. I am told that it is all a matter of "programming" and the new transmission will not have this problem. I have no faith at this point.

I can tell you this dealership did not hesitate to take care of me. Nothing that happened on my vehicle was a surprise, in fact, they have seen many with the same problem. The first fix of computer reset was not worth the time it took to do it. The torque converter replacement did not work. They had my car for 3 days that was after waiting for the part to come in.

I am stunned that there is no recall on the 2013 Pathfinder. My advice, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. I am taking this issue as far up the food chain as necessary. It is unbelievable that Nissan would even continue to sell this vehicle, knowing all the problems that their current customers are having.....this is my first and last Nissan.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hate to disagree...but theyve sold about 60,000 2013 Pathfinders, and there are only about 30 comments on the site. Seems like an isolated issue to me. But still, Nissan needs to solve this

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hate to disagree...but theyve sold about 60,000 2013 Pathfinders, and there are only about 30 comments on the site. Seems like an isolated issue to me. But still, Nissan needs to solve this
Well there are two factors in play here:

1 - You have to put the car in exactly the right situation. I really think humidity/temperature play a role here. The car also has to be at the perfect temperature, which seems to be after around 10-30 minutes of driving. Terrain or type of intermittent acceleration (city driving, suburban traffic, etc) seem to play a role as well, as does load/grade (slightly above normal payload or slightly uphill).

2 - You have to recognize it when it happens. My wife has been in the car and told me she didn't feel anything when it happened while I was driving, then asked me what we had run over. Seriously!

This is why it seems that most who have gotten an ENTIRELY NEW transmission still have issues. Those who frequently put the car in the right situation and recognize the symptoms continue to put the new transmission in the same situations and continue to recognize the issue. Hence a new transmission doesn't fix the problem for anyone.

I bet if a "problem free" Pathfinder were driven by someone who has had problems in the same way they normally drive their own Pathfinder, the "problem free" transmission would suddenly start having problems.

Unless you believe that the "30 people" who have problems are just the most unlucky people in the world, and all happened to get an "isolated" faulty transmission the second time...

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called a Nissan dealer in the greater LA area and asked about the CVT problems - the service guy pretended he hand not heard of any CVT problem, and then added, not too common in California - whatever that means? Low humidity? Would be interesting to see what parts of the country/North America were experience the most CVT issues...cold? humid? wet? flat parts? mountain parts?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Suggest you look at the number of views associated with the threads on the CVT and shudder problem, which is typically in the thousands. Still not convinced? Saunder over to the 2013 Altima forum; their postings on the CVT and shudder outnumber ours by x5 (hint, the CVT8 in the V6 Altima is the same as the Pathfinder).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've read that Nissan has sold about 40,000 2013 PFs -and it's one of their best sellers. Does anyone know what percentage of vehicles or how likely it is that one will experience this? I just bought (month ago) a 2013 10/12 build and have 850 miles on it.

that would scare me buying a "hot" selling model like this and your build date was 9 months prior?

goes to show the "rumor" a/b the trans has probably plagued the pf. a local dlr here has over 100 on the lot, when I stopped by the guy said no one is interested in them b/c of the reputation. he said that literally the ones they are selling are almost at cost to make room for 2014's and they have lowered the number of those they ordered just so they catch the blame.

sad sad sad

·
Registered
74 Posts

there are def. more than 30 diff people on this board alone w/ the issue. not counting Nissan's facebook page, and other forums as well. the Altima has the same cvt in the v6 model and is also plagued with the issue..

sooooo yes it is isolated alright a big isolated cluster xxxx.. just really think some people are lucky not to have the issue. wish I was one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts