Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,684 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

On the PF the 4WD switch enables power to be sent to the rear wheels, up to a 50/50 distribution. When you select 4WD Lock you are forcing the magnetic coupler located on the drive shaft to stay engaged forcing a 50/50 distribution all the time instead of a 90/10, 80/20 and so on when it is set to Auto. 2WD keeps it at 100/0.
And so you know, 4WD lock will revert to Auto after a few miles.

The vast majority of today's AWD/4WD vehicles have open differentials and control wheel spin via ABS. Open differentials will send power to which ever wheel offers less resistance, so one on the front and one on the back and if the traction control is ON, the system will apply the brakes to the wheel that is spinning adding resistance so the differential sends power to the other wheel.
Now, as soon as the other wheel spins, the system will release the brake on the first wheel and now apply them to this one. This happens multiple times per second and that is what you'll see the wheels "hesitating" and some times, the car won't move. If the traction control is OFF, the wheel with less resistance will spin freely.
Depending on the situation the system can turn off itself but you will see a light come on on the dash.

What you were expecting is locking differentials and very few vehicles offer that as a factory option. A locked differential will spin both wheels on the same axle at the same time. This reduces the ability to maneuver and turn so it should only be enabled to get through a rough spot.

I've only got stuck once when going over a big pile of snow left by a snowplow on the middle of the road, had to disable the traction control to allow for wheel spin to get out. There are also many "off-roading" techniques to learn about, in my case rocking the vehicle back and forth did the trick.

About the subwoofer, check the Electronics section, there you'll find some posts about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy 2021, I am now a new owner of a 2020 Pathfinder SL. I am also an owner of a 2003 Pathfinder LE. Traded in my 2006 Xterra with 162000 miles for the new PF. Wife's ride and she appreciates the ride as a change up from the Xterra. PNW is the current home location. Look forward to reading the sharing going on here and at some point provide some input. I have put some time on my 2003 with maintenance on top part of eng, suspension upgrades, brakes, etc. I have worries on the possible future repair costs but that is the choice of economics when it comes to purchase prices for newer vehicles versus future expenses. Glad to be able to join.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,523 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a 2019 Rock Creek and thought that you all here could give good advice on maintaining & troubleshooting the vehicle. Thanks for any suggestions and help you share in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,684 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Follow the recommended maintenance, there is nothing that needs extra attention. Change your fluids at a minimum at the recommended intervals, doing it more often never hurts.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Pathfinder ST 4x4
4 Posts
Hi i'm new to the group.. Just going to pick up my new Pathfinder tonight..2017 ST 4X4 with 30k kms ... i did have a 2015 ST but my ex took that when we seperated...I'm looking forward to have another pathfinder in my life .. And just in time for my partners birthday with a road trip up to the great barrier reef

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
64 Posts
Hi i'm new to the group.. Just going to pick up my new Pathfinder tonight..2017 ST 4X4 with 30k kms ... i did have a 2015 ST but my ex took that when we seperated...I'm looking forward to have another pathfinder in my life .. And just in time for my partners birthday with a road trip up to the great barrier reef

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your PF!

Looks good in white!

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the fourm, enjoy your PF!

Looks good in white!

Cheers!
Thanks Max ...White is a popular colour here in Australia ...cheaper to repair the paint and easier to spot from the air if you are stuck in the outback

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
64 Posts
Thanks Max ...White is a popular colour here in Australia ...cheaper to repair the paint and easier to spot from the air if you are stuck in the outback
🙂 Makes sense! It is the opposite here or we will disappear in the snow!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey new to the Forum. I've had MY15 for about 2 years now. We have triplets and I the car primarily to fit the 3 car seats in the 2nd row with my olderst in the 3rd row.

Pretty happy so far but I've just decided to start throwing some mods on so thought I'd join the group to see what else has been done. Pretty disappointed with the selection of modification options available for the new style PF, guess I'll have to get creative.

I've added some new wheels and all terrain tyres to start (looks 100% better) and will be Plasti dipping all the chrome this weekend.
Pending upgrades are; 30mm lift (Dobinson springs) upgrade the head unit (anything with Carplay and Android. Don't really care about this it's for the misses)

Also looking around the wreckers for new drivers seat, my up/down controller has died.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey new to the Forum. I've had MY15 for about 2 years now. We have triplets and I the car primarily to fit the 3 car seats in the 2nd row with my olderst in the 3rd row.

Pretty happy so far but I've just decided to start throwing some mods on so thought I'd join the group to see what else has been done. Pretty disappointed with the selection of modification options available for the new style PF, guess I'll have to get creative.

I've added some new wheels and all terrain tyres to start (looks 100% better) and will be Plasti dipping all the chrome this weekend.
Pending upgrades are; 30mm lift (Dobinson springs) upgrade the head unit (anything with Carplay and Android. Don't really care about this it's for the misses)

Also looking around the wreckers for new drivers seat, my up/down controller has died.
Hi Mate im in oz too ... what wheels and tyres did you get ? i'm looking to upgrade my MY17 in the future and thet will be on my list

221 - 235 of 235 Posts