Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So was driving on Sat going maybe 20mph. I feel like I lightly bumped the shifter knob with my hand. It still looked like it was in D. All of a sudden after I feel i bumped it, the rpms weren't moving and the car wasn't accelerating when I pressed the gas pedal but the engine was running smooth. Pressing the gas pedal there was no response in rpms or acceleration - it was as if the pedal wasn't working. It didn't feel like the engine was disconnected from the transmission, it just felt like the pedal stopped working altogether.

Pulled the car over (didn't turn it off), just put it in P and then moved back to D and everything has been fine ever since... What happened?

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remember this same thing happened before when many years ago I plugged in an OBDII reader and put the car in D. With the OBDII reader turned on the car wouldn't respond to pressing the gas pedal when in D (as if the computer was ignoring the fact that the gas pedal is being pressed) but would be fine in P. Maybe some safety lockout?

My BMW doesn't care if that same OBDII reader is plugged in and it is in D. It drives, reverses, etc. as normal.

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
89 Posts
So was driving on Sat going maybe 20mph. I feel like I lightly bumped the shifter knob with my hand. It still looked like it was in D. All of a sudden after I feel i bumped it, the rpms weren't moving and the car wasn't accelerating when I pressed the gas pedal but the engine was running smooth. Pressing the gas pedal there was no response in rpms or acceleration - it was as if the pedal wasn't working.

Pulled the car over (didn't turn it off), just put it in P and then moved back to D and everything has been fine ever since... What happened?

2002 BMW 325XI
I suspect you hit the O/D button.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect it is a safety feature in case someone bumps the shifter into something else.
But I've sometimes put the car into L1 if I was in D and never seen this problem...

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've had this happen a few times over the years. Kinda scary, actually. And wasn't there some sort of brake relay issue causing this type of thing?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had this happen a few times over the years. Kinda scary, actually. And wasn't there some sort of brake relay issue causing this type of thing?
On my BMW the fuel pump went recently while I was doing 75mph on the highway so I definitely know what it feels like when that happens: the engine stumbles and becomes erratic and it feels like rpms can still increase when you press the gas pedal but there is no torque and the car won't accelerate as if you disconnected from the transmission. This didn't feel like that at all: the engine was smooth but the pedal didn't do anything so I was stumped...

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the accelerator on these cars just attached to a wire that pulls or is it electronic somehow?

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do have the same problem with my 2015 PF. Rpm is not responding or it cut-off (back to idle) even if you press the gas pedal is not working but when you press the break pedal just a bit then it goes back to normal. It doesn't matter if your driving fast or slow or pressing your break or not. It will just happen and you will realize when you try to accelerate.

Im trying to bring it back to nissan tomorrow. Im scared to use it for long drive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have the same problem with my 2015 PF. Rpm is not responding or it cut-off (back to idle) even if you press the gas pedal is not working but when you press the break pedal just a bit then it goes back to normal. It doesn't matter if your driving fast or slow or pressing your break or not. It will just happen and you will realize when you try to accelerate.

Im trying to bring it back to nissan tomorrow. Im scared to use it for long drive.
There was break relay recall about this exact problem. I didn't think to press the brake and try to accelerate again. Have never had this happen in the 7 years I owned the car.

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
15 Posts
So was driving on Sat going maybe 20mph. I feel like I lightly bumped the shifter knob with my hand. It still looked like it was in D. All of a sudden after I feel i bumped it, the rpms weren't moving and the car wasn't accelerating when I pressed the gas pedal but the engine was running smooth. Pressing the gas pedal there was no response in rpms or acceleration - it was as if the pedal wasn't working. It didn't feel like the engine was disconnected from the transmission, it just felt like the pedal stopped working altogether.

2002 BMW 325XI
It's probably the pedal control switch, the part is enclosed in your accelerator pedal, it's one complete unit, and will need to be swapped out for s new one, it's s booger to remove and reinstall, good luck, if you want peace of mind have it scanned, good luck, you might be able to get one from Amazon, that where i bought mind, it's called pedal control switch, but it's part of the entire unit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts