Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only at 70-75mph a rattle will develop that seems like it's coming form inside the right rear door. What might be loose inside that would cause it to bounce around only after reaching those speeds?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What year Pathfinder do you have I noticed the other day when I was in my 16pf I was hearing a rattling towards the right rear unfortunately I don't drive it enough and the wife is oblivious to stuff like that

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have this exact same problem!! The door and trim is all fine - and I believe the problem may be a loose heat shield (from a post I found from someone else with the exact same issue). Its been too cold/wet to go under to check it - so I'm going to have Nissan check it when I have my next service. Hopefully its just something minor - but I've seen at least 3 posts about it so far!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks but this happens over smooth highway, only at speeds around 70-75 and is definitely coming from the right rear door. That it is very speed dependent makes it seem like some resonant frequency is triggering something that's loose inside the door.

This only happens on long trips, there is no speed limit 70mph highway near my dealer. So not sure what they can do other than take the door apart and put it back together.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've taken video but my phone camera picks up more road noise than humans do, so it's hard to hear the rattle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm still having the rattle at high speeds 70-75. Took the 16 pf SL to the dealer and they claimed the noise was the roof rail end cap. They replaced it under warranty but I'm still hearing the noise...almost sounds like its in between/in the door

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,424 Posts
I'd ask someone to drive around without it while I'm in the trunk to identify the source. Use a cel phone to record a video as you move it around the door, then watch the video and listen where it gets louder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife's 2013 had a very noticeable rattle that was seemingly coming from the rear passenger door area. It was her car and she never noticed or paid attention to it, but whenever I drove the car it was the first thing I noticed once above 55 mph or so. Finally on a road trip I had her drive and I got into the backseat and put my ear to everything back there. I narrowed it down to something going on beneath the floor in front of the 2nd row passenger side seat. At this point it was still under warranty, so I brought it in and told them the rattle was coming from beneath the floor, assuming that they would otherwise tell me they couldn't duplicate the problem. To my surprise upon picking the vehicle up, they told me they did duplicate the rattle and confirmed it was coming from beneath the floor. Not only that, they fixed the problem, which was a loose wire harness plug that was banging around. They resecured it and we never heard the rattle again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had almost the exact same situation/sound. Nissan tech identified it as the rear tire front deflector missing a clip and flapping in the wind at high speeds. Drove me nuts but is fixed now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had almost the exact same situation/sound. Nissan tech identified it as the rear tire front deflector missing a clip and flapping in the wind at high speeds. Drove me nuts but is fixed now.
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say "Thank You" for the suggestion to check the mudflaps. I bought my Pathfinder used and it's had this rattle when driving over/around 70 MPH since the day I bought it. It sounded like it was coming from inside the door, so the dealership I bought it from completely disassembled the door twice and put it back together but it never fixed the issue. I decided to dig around on the message boards and came across this page's mudflap suggestion, had my dealership check them this morning and several clips were missing. I didn't hear the sound on the interstate when I left the dealership, so I'm hoping that's the end of my rear passenger rattle. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
570 Posts
Yep. I've found the push plugs missing on several Nissans in the family equipped with those rear wheel front deflectors. A few years back I bought one of those universal push fastener kits off eBay for cheap. Kit comes with a couple dozen different sizes in an organized storage case. I've used it countless times so far.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,304 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say "Thank You" for the suggestion to check the mudflaps.
That is why we never retire a thread. There is lots of good information here....the collective wisdom of all our members since late 2012.

Regarding the deflectors, they're easily damaged or torn off if you have to drive in deep snow. We have been missing the drivers side one for years. Not important enough in my view to replace.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Thanks for this great information as the sound which was coming from rear door was actually rear wheel mud deflector screw was missing. Solved my problem.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts