Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my key fob through the washer and dryer in my shorts a couple days ago. I was expecting to foot a big bill when I pulled it out of the dryer, but believe it or not it still works. I'm really surprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ran my key fob through the washer and dryer in my shorts a couple days ago. I was expecting to foot a big bill when I pulled it out of the dryer, but believe it or not it still works. I'm really surprised.
I'd open it up and let all the parts dry completely. It's very easy to do, simply follow the instructions for battery replacement in the manual. Once the halves are separate, all the inerds lift out. If there's some trapped moisture remaining, it might corrode.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'd open it up and let all the parts dry completely. It's very easy to do, simply follow the instructions for battery replacement in the manual. Once the halves are separate, all the inerds lift out. If there's some trapped moisture remaining, it might corrode.
Yup, usually it's a couple screws at most with a tab in some cases, i believe the screw head will be a philips head.

Maybe even getting a hair dryer and running it light might help, not sure if that would cause any harm but it'll get rid of the water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do that just to make sure. I did this on Sunday night and it's now Tuesday and it's still working. Pretty amazing!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'll do that just to make sure. I did this on Sunday night and it's now Tuesday and it's still working. Pretty amazing!
I guess as long as you open it up and don't see any water left anywhere then you're good! Opening up these keys are fairly easy too.

Thank god you guys didn't have to shell out $300 or what ever the cost might be for a new smart key. BTW has anyone looked into the cost of getting a new key out of curiosity?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess as long as you open it up and don't see any water left anywhere then you're good! Opening up these keys are fairly easy too.

Thank god you guys didn't have to shell out $300 or what ever the cost might be for a new smart key. BTW has anyone looked into the cost of getting a new key out of curiosity?
I think Amazon has them for around $250, but I'm not sure what the dealer would charge to hook it up to the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I bought a used fob missing the key on Ebay for $20 shipped. I didn't really need it, but the price was simply too good to pass up. The dealer wanted $100 to program it, I asked the salesman who sold me the car if there was anything he could do, and they programmed it and made a key for free!

So I hid the fob inside the car and the key outside so I can never get locked out. This is why I know how simple it is to separate the fob, I had to remove the battery. There is nowhere inside where the car would not "see" the key. I even tried wrapping it in foil and placing that inside an Altoids tin! I did not want to leave the fob outside, it's harder to conceal than the key.

I have hidden a key on the outside of my car/motorcycle/boat/snowmobile since I was a kid, have needed it many times over the years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a used fob missing the key on Ebay for $20 shipped. I didn't really need it, but the price was simply too good to pass up. The dealer wanted $100 to program it, I asked the salesman who sold me the car if there was anything he could do, and they programmed it and made a key for free!

So I hid the fob inside the car and the key outside so I can never get locked out. This is why I know how simple it is to separate the fob, I had to remove the battery. There is nowhere inside where the car would not "see" the key. I even tried wrapping it in foil and placing that inside an Altoids tin! I did not want to leave the fob outside, it's harder to conceal than the key.

I have hidden a key on the outside of my car/motorcycle/boat/snowmobile since I was a kid, have needed it many times over the years.
Doesn't that allow anyone access to your car then? I don't think I'd have the balls to do that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So Altoids tin can debunked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you guys taking dumb questions?

I see the key on the FOB but where does it go in on the Pathfinder?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts