Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious with this new motor if anyone knows weaknesses with this engine? Longevity? Things to look out for? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is my 4th Nissan VQ (01 Maxima, 06 Xterra, 11 Quest) and after the first 2800 miles it is at least as nice as the rest. Runs quiet and smooth but so does the whole vehicle. It seems to act more like the 4.0L in the Xterra with some more low rpm torque than in the Quest. I haven't had any issues with it being able to go from low revs to 4000+ in a short amount of time. I have noticed that the oil is darker than I would like on a new vehicle, as it started to turn brownish at about 700 miles and is now a dark shade of brown. I'm assuming that's just due to any engine break in and the direct injection likely will make it appear dirty faster. I plan to change the oil at 5000 and use Mobil 1 so I expect it to have no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it safe to say that nissan has tested direct injection through and there really should be no issues with it i hope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes. The exact same way they tested the CVT :eek:h-snap-smiley-emot
:signlol:

Is it safe to say that nissan has tested direct injection through and there really should be no issues with it i hope.
I guess they've done enough that it's also on the Titan and Armada, but those are the 5.6L engine. I think it's also on the Juke (turbo?) engine and there might have been some carbon build up issues on the Juke. I haven't fully researched the issues with that. I've heard with direct injection it's possible to build up gunk on the back side of the intake valves since they don't get washed with the fuel additives that are in the gasoline. I think most auto manufacturers are moving to direct injection so I'm not losing any sleep over the issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Somehow when researching everything I could about 2013+ Pathfinders, I never stumbled upon the little fun fact that 2017+ Pathfinder VQ35 engines have direct injection. I was wondering what that little foam rubber insulated pump looking thing was at the front left of the engine (while facing engine bay).

I assumed I had the VQ35DE in my 2019 PF, when in fact it's the VQ35DD. Double-D has always gotta be good right? It does really have some amazing power to it.

My only fear is long term reliability, given you hear of so many issues with carboned up intake valve ports due to DI and expensive fuel pumps, etc.

I get the principle of DI, I just don't have a full grasp on the components yet. I'm assuming we have a standard electric fuel pump/sending unit in the fuel tank and then the engine driven high pressure fuel pump?

I see very little discussed about the VQ35DD vs the tried and true port injected VQ35DE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts