Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Credit: Would like to acknowledge and thank forum member PowerDDanger for initially sharing with forum about product and ordering information!

Summary: The VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II is sold online at Visualgarage.com The Shark Fin Antenna is not only visually appealing, but also features a built-in fractal antenna to allow for AM/FM radio reception. It is a direct replacement for your Pathfinder with a rear roof antenna, installs in a matter of minutes with no special tools required and the installation is completely reversible. Each VG Shark Fin Antenna is custom painted to match the color code of your car, which is specified when ordering.

Order Instructions: Can be ordered online at website. Easiest way is to Email: [email protected]
Send email with instructions as follows:
Subject: Order: VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II
Message: 1 (Quantity) X 2013 Nissan Pathfinder – Moonlight White (Factory Color name) / QAA (Color Code)
Include Shippping Address and Paypal Email Address. You will receive an invoice within 24 hours to confirm order and pay.

Cost: $81 which includes $69 for painted custom color antenna and $12 for shipping to any address in continental US

Customer Service and Delivery time: Site quotes 2-3 weeks turnaround time due to custom color applied to antenna to match your car. Order was placed on April 2nd and arrived at my door on April 8th which is an impressive 6 days turnaround time for a custom order. Ordering process and communication was excellent and very efficient. They told me they are working with urgency to get antenna to me as quickly as possible and delivered on promise. Antenna was nicely packed and well protected arriving in perfect condition.

Product Impressions: As you will see in Pictures, the Shark Fin looks and feel like a high quality product and its made in Canada. It is not flimsy in any way yet it is lightweight and has good thickness that will certainly stand up to the elements over time. Product was flawlessly painted to match the color of the car. The design is sleek and aero in appearance and looks really sharp on the back end of Pathfinder. Installation was very easy. A lot of "Bang for the buck" improvement. A great advantage of installing this antenna is that you will no longer need to worry about removing antenna at car wash. The lower profile of Antenna sits below the top of cross bar roof rails which allows a longer cargo box to be installed without worry of hitting, bending, breaking antenna.
NISSAN PLEASE MAKE THIS A STANDARD FOR FUTURE PATHFINDERS!! I am sure Visual Garage would love to do business :D

Installation: Highly recommend to read online instructions with pictures first prior to installation. Do follow steps exactly to ensure a perfect seal and alignment with car. Below is the link to instructions with pictures which I wish came in the package with Shark Fin which only has text. Directions are much easier to follow with pictures for each step.

Click here to see Visual Garage Mark II Shark Fin Installation Picture Guide

Installation took only 20 minutes and was very easy once you have everything in front of you. All I needed was a screwdriver, Painters Tape, Rubbing Alcohol, 2 microfiber Towels, Pitcher of Hot water, and Dawn Dish Soap. A few tips and critical steps that worked well:
• A short step ladder works perfect for install from the rear of car
• Dawn Dish Soap did a perfect job of cleaning area around current antenna, rinse and dry completely with Microfiber towel. I used hot water to ensure surface area was at room temp which allows a better seal. Follow with a good wipe down of rubbing alcohol which evaporates quickly. Do this first prior to Dry-fit
• Recommend using Painters tape ( I like 3m Edge Lock) for marking install position on your car. Will not leave sticky residue to interfere with Fin Bonding strip and lifts cleanly and easy
**IMPORTANT**: Put your Shark Fin on top of vehicle, Open your lift gate completely and mark with tape the back edge line to ensure you have enough clearance between open lift gate and back of Shark Fin. (See picture for ideal spacing) Mark with tape and then lower hatch to finish dry fit alignment per instructions.
• Once you screw on your fin and remove tape backing I found it easier to lower the fin from the back end first and then align to tape markings. The antenna wire connected to base is not very long making it a bit difficult to put down front end first as stated in instructions.
• Do not Press down on Fin until you are sure position is exactly they way you like.
• Sounds like a lot of detail but it is really quite simple and quick! I am just obsessed with detail :D

Antenna Performance: I went on a road test after install to test the quality of sound and reception with my XM. Sound was clear and sharp as with OEM antenna with no evidence of degradation of sound or static interference. Weather and Traffic alerts uploaded with same speed as usual.

Overall very pleased with Shark Fin performance, ease of install, customer service. Highly recommended:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Impressively thorough writeup. Thanks mcorte, you are definitely a benefit to this forum. Glad the performance for the XM is maintained. I will be ordering mine today. Do you happen to know where I can find the color code for my PF? Mine is bright silver. Thanks again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Impressively thorough writeup. Thanks mcorte, you are definitely a benefit to this forum. Glad the performance for the XM is maintained. I will be ordering mine today. Do you happen to know where I can find the color code for my PF? Mine is bright silver. Thanks again.
Found it in the Pictures thread. It's actually Brilliant Silver (K23)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Plex for the compliment. I do enjoy sharing and certainly I have been helped as well by other posts from fellow members. Please do post pictures when you get it installed. Would be great to get all Pathfinder Colors up on this Thread:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another Full Body view Outdoors

Reactions: RedFox302

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Shark fin Antenna looks awesome on your Pathfinder. I think it would even look good in black, it would make for a bit of a stealthy look.

I guess you can try wrapping it with black vinyl just to test out the look.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just ordered mine in Brilliant Silver (K23) using the directions in mcorte's how-to, and indeed it is $81 including shipping. They responded promptly, processed my order and indicated they would ship in 1 to 2 weeks. Looking forward to installing it...it's a great look.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Credit: Would like to acknowledge and thank forum member PowerDDanger for initially sharing with forum about product and ordering information!

Summary: The VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II is sold online at Visualgarage.com The Shark Fin Antenna is not only visually appealing, but also features a built-in fractal antenna to allow for AM/FM radio reception. It is a direct replacement for your Pathfinder with a rear roof antenna, installs in a matter of minutes with no special tools required and the installation is completely reversible. Each VG Shark Fin Antenna is custom painted to match the color code of your car, which is specified when ordering.

Order Instructions: Can be ordered online at website. Easiest way is to Email: [email protected]
Send email with instructions as follows:
Subject: Order: VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II
Message: 1 (Quantity) X 2013 Nissan Pathfinder – Moonlight White (Factory Color name) / QAA (Color Code)
Include Shippping Address and Paypal Email Address. You will receive an invoice within 24 hours to confirm order and pay.

Cost: $81 which includes $69 for painted custom color antenna and $12 for shipping to any address in continental US

Customer Service and Delivery time: Site quotes 2-3 weeks turnaround time due to custom color applied to antenna to match your car. Order was placed on April 2nd and arrived at my door on April 8th which is an impressive 6 days turnaround time for a custom order. Ordering process and communication was excellent and very efficient. They told me they are working with urgency to get antenna to me as quickly as possible and delivered on promise. Antenna was nicely packed and well protected arriving in perfect condition.

Product Impressions: As you will see in Pictures, the Shark Fin looks and feel like a high quality product and its made in Canada. It is not flimsy in any way yet it is lightweight and has good thickness that will certainly stand up to the elements over time. Product was flawlessly painted to match the color of the car. The design is sleek and aero in appearance and looks really sharp on the back end of Pathfinder. Installation was very easy. A lot of "Bang for the buck" improvement. A great advantage of installing this antenna is that you will no longer need to worry about removing antenna at car wash. The lower profile of Antenna sits below the top of cross bar roof rails which allows a longer cargo box to be installed without worry of hitting, bending, breaking antenna.
NISSAN PLEASE MAKE THIS A STANDARD FOR FUTURE PATHFINDERS!! I am sure Visual Garage would love to do business :D

Installation: Highly recommend to read online instructions with pictures first prior to installation. Do follow steps exactly to ensure a perfect seal and alignment with car. Below is the link to instructions with pictures which I wish came in the package with Shark Fin which only has text. Directions are much easier to follow with pictures for each step.

Click here to see Visual Garage Mark II Shark Fin Installation Picture Guide

Installation took only 20 minutes and was very easy once you have everything in front of you. All I needed was a screwdriver, Painters Tape, Rubbing Alcohol, 2 microfiber Towels, Pitcher of Hot water, and Dawn Dish Soap. A few tips and critical steps that worked well:
• A short step ladder works perfect for install from the rear of car
• Dawn Dish Soap did a perfect job of cleaning area around current antenna, rinse and dry completely with Microfiber towel. I used hot water to ensure surface area was at room temp which allows a better seal. Follow with a good wipe down of rubbing alcohol which evaporates quickly. Do this first prior to Dry-fit
• Recommend using Painters tape ( I like 3m Edge Lock) for marking install position on your car. Will not leave sticky residue to interfere with Fin Bonding strip and lifts cleanly and easy
**IMPORTANT**: Put your Shark Fin on top of vehicle, Open your lift gate completely and mark with tape the back edge line to ensure you have enough clearance between open lift gate and back of Shark Fin. (See picture for ideal spacing) Mark with tape and then lower hatch to finish dry fit alignment per instructions.
• Once you screw on your fin and remove tape backing I found it easier to lower the fin from the back end first and then align to tape markings. The antenna wire connected to base is not very long making it a bit difficult to put down front end first as stated in instructions.
• Do not Press down on Fin until you are sure position is exactly they way you like.
• Sounds like a lot of detail but it is really quite simple and quick! I am just obsessed with detail :D

Antenna Performance: I went on a road test after install to test the quality of sound and reception with my XM. Sound was clear and sharp as with OEM antenna with no evidence of degradation of sound or static interference. Weather and Traffic alerts uploaded with same speed as usual.

Overall very pleased with Shark Fin performance, ease of install, customer service. Highly recommended:cool:
Very nice write up and review of the product. I hope you get a few more aftermarket things so we can all benefit from the insight of the products. I love how it looks, almost from factory by the looks. I think im sold on it too. Do you have any more pictures of your pathfinder at a further distance. Sorry if I am asking for too much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice write up and review of the product. I hope you get a few more aftermarket things so we can all benefit from the insight of the products. I love how it looks, almost from factory by the looks. I think im sold on it too. Do you have any more pictures of your pathfinder at a further distance. Sorry if I am asking for too much.
I will take a couple more pics when I get a chance. I do agree that the fin certainly does look like a factory OEM product. Looks even better in person. I did do another write up on an install I did for HID Lights. the thread is called called "HID Light conversion on 2013 Pathfinder" you might like. The difference is amazing with HID. Future upgrades coming soon include running boards, Cargo Box, and LED bulb replacements for interior and exterior lights. I am also considering upgrades to sound system.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Special discount on shark fin antenna for you!

Hello Members,

I am happy to share with you that the good folks at Visual Garage, as a result of my independent product review, have agreed to offer an exclusive discount to Pathfindertalk.com members a $5.00 discount for anyone on this forum wishing to order the Mark II Shark Fin Antenna to replace your OEM Whip Antenna. This discount is good for ANY vehicle that you own and not limited to your Pathfinders :cool: This is a very easy screw on/stick on installation and looks great. Use of this discount code will allow me to negotiate future discounts on other products for you. Thanks!

DISCOUNTED COST FOR ANTENNA IS NOW ONLY $64 + Shipping :D

***IMPORTANT--ORDERING INFORMATION***:

FOR NEW ORDERS: Please include discount code "mcorte15 review on Pathfindertalk.com" to get your discount.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY ORDERED SHARK FIN: Visual Garage will credit you a $5.00 discount back to your original form of payment. Simply send an email to [email protected] with discount code, order number, and your name. ;)

SIMPLY USE THE ORDERING INFORMATION ON INITIAL POST TO GET YOURS TODAY.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You should do a before and after photo of the antenna on the pathfinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
VG Shark Fin Antenna

Ordered mine today with the help of the write up. Thanks for the coupon code for a discount. I can't wait till i get it. Will post pics once i have it installed.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
How is reception?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How is reception?
from my review:

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you had a load on the roof rack, would it clear the antenna?

The one advantage of the stock antenna is that it can be unscrewed and removed when you're carrying loads. I've transported plywood and 2x4s on my roof rack, and had to remove the antenna to clear.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
from my review:
Awesome, that is always my concern, in the past I had some bad experience. Either it was the product or how I installed it which I doubt I did wrong.

If you had a load on the roof rack, would it clear the antenna?

The one advantage of the stock antenna is that it can be unscrewed and removed when you're carrying loads. I've transported plywood and 2x4s on my roof rack, and had to remove the antenna to clear.
Good question, this is also my concern. I plan on having a roof top carrier, and we all know how big those are and they take up nearly all roof.

I'd imagine they make it as functional as an OEM antenna, looking forward to hear more about this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please. Read. The. Whole. Review.
It's. All. In. There
Thanks for the not useful response. I re-read. The. Whole. Review. While it discusses clearance to the rear hatch, it does not discuss vertical clearance, to clear a load on the roof rack.

How 'bout you try again?:D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts