Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I got it to work!

The PF USB input is very particular in terms of supported formats. Even most .avi files don't play properly, if the used codec is unsupported.

Using Mac, this works wonders:
Flv Crunch for Mac - CNET Download.com

Just make sure to select Output Format as .AVI (DivX), and the video file should play fine from the USB socket in your PF... :D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Great tip, this should be a sticky or be linked to in a sticky thread. If your loading video's onto a USB to watch in your pathfinder, you might as well convert those .avi files to .mp4. MP4 seems to be the standard file format for just about any smartphone and mobile video player.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly, however the PF USB video player does not recognize that MP4 format. As per user manual, only .avi, .divx, .asf formats are supported for video playback. .asf seems like an aging format, divx well supported but even the divx converted files did not play, and my original .avi files neither as some unsupported coding used.
That's why I am so happy to have found this free mac utility that transcodes to the " .avi (divx) " format from virtually any other video format...

Of course you could use the AV input as well, but this is a clean solution, with the USB stick hidden away...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So it did not work with other AVI converters?

That is good to know. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only tried the built in transcoders in Vuze, Handbrake and the original DivX codecs. None worked. The FL Crunch was a last desperate attempt trying to get the video playback from the USB to work, and it did. It seems even to work with a variety of frame rates and resolutions, as long as you select .avi (divx) as your output format...
Not sure about the maximum file size though, let you guys try that out....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did this video output work for the rear monitors? or did this work on the dash monitor too? If the dash monitor worked, was it only when the car was parked with the E-brake applied?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok. I converted my movie files to avi, but it still wouldn't play. Does anyone know if the video has to be at a certain resoultion??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok. I converted my movie files to avi, but it still wouldn't play. Does anyone know if the video has to be at a certain resoultion??
I don't know the specifics regarding the PF video system, but generally, when you convert movie files, and do not specify the frame size, it is not hacked. That said, if you are converting anything higher than dvd quality ( sub 500P) then the standard definition system will not accept that size. Try to convert one file to 800X600. That is one of the most widely used resolution, and will fit tablets....and many other video playback systems.

Erling

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Resolution?

I don't know the specifics regarding the PF video system, but generally, when you convert movie files, and do not specify the frame size, it is not hacked. That said, if you are converting anything higher than dvd quality ( sub 500P) then the standard definition system will not accept that size. Try to convert one file to 800X600. That is one of the most widely used resolution, and will fit tablets....and many other video playback systems.

Erling
The PF user manual states resolutions from 32x32 to 720x480 are supported (page 4-74). I have fiddled around with these setting and found that the ipod preset works rather well. Also, any reasonable frame rate works for me, 20-30 should be ok, or unchanged. However, remember the USB stick has to be formatted in FAT32. Sometimes, the PF systems states the file(s) are unplayable, but mostly a cycle of ignition off - on seems to solve that issue. So far only tried with one USB stick 2GB I had around, but I guess if you have issues you can always try another stick.

And this only works for the rear screens, unless the Park brake is on. In this case the video shows up on the front center screen as well. Works well, IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did this video output work for the rear monitors? or did this work on the dash monitor too? If the dash monitor worked, was it only when the car was parked with the E-brake applied?
i would like to know the same. can we play video on dash monitor while driving? i guess this is done on purpose since it would be a distraction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would like to know the same. can we play video on dash monitor while driving? i guess this is done on purpose since it would be a distraction.

You can only play video on the dash if you are parked with your parking brake ON.

And for all of you PF lovers who cant get the video going, download Divx converter (PC) and convert videos to Divx mobile files and it plays with no problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried the original DivX codec but still no luck playing the resulting files in my PF via teh USB stick. However, I did not try try the setting DivX mobile....

If you want to play the video while on the road, you will need a bypass, similar to this;

JX35 2013 with Sat Nav - Car Kit Company

I have no own experience and do not endorse or recommend this bypass for obvious reasons... :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can only play video on the dash if you are parked with your parking brake ON.

And for all of you PF lovers who cant get the video going, download Divx converter (PC) and convert videos to Divx mobile files and it plays with no problem.
I cannot seem to get this workin on the dash, I park and applied the hand break all the way but still no video. Is there anything I am missing to get it to play on the dash while parked?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I finally got a movie to play using divx converter mobile settings but the quality was poor. I'll try messing with the resolution but iirc using the mobile output had a fixed resolution. Thanks for the tips thus far gang but I'm not there yet. I'd be very happy in getting this to work for my little one. Trying to avoid buying an iPod.

·
Registered
138 Posts
does this only work if you have a NAV screen? Doesnt seem to work on standard monitor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually picked up one of those kits from Car Kit Company for my Pathfinder Plat Premium. The installation was straightforward and allows us to watch video and utilize the navigation features while driving. It is very useful being able to have my wife actually program the navigation while I'm driving or even have her work the DVD player and actually be able to see what the kids are watching while the car is in motion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I actually picked up one of those kits from Car Kit Company for my Pathfinder Plat Premium. The installation was straightforward and allows us to watch video and utilize the navigation features while driving. It is very useful being able to have my wife actually program the navigation while I'm driving or even have her work the DVD player and actually be able to see what the kids are watching while the car is in motion.
So you're saying you have it installed and it works as advertised? Or are you saying what you hope it will do?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you but it from the website? I do not see any kit for the Pathfinder. Did you by any chance but the one for Jx35?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts