Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is my first ever Nissan and I have to say, I love it. Lot better than my BMW 328i I traded it in for. Not of the same category nevertheless a lot better. I only have one draw back right now ... this USB port. I've had Apple products before and honesly don't like them so I'm an Android fan but my '13 Pathfinder SL w/out Nav won't reconigize the device nor will it read the songs I put on a thumb drive. Am I missing something or is this an issue with a lot of people. Also I've read somewhere that in order to stream using bluetooth you have to have the nav system. Only thing i have is the USB & RCA's in the center console. Someone plz help me!:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Agreed, tried plugging my HTC EVO 4G LTE a newer phone in and nothing. Don't get why everything caters to Apple. Seems like it would be pretty simple to accomodate. But maybe I am just missing something. Does music have to be dumped onto the SD card in order for the Path to read it...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Galaxy Note and I use the aux ports next to the usb. Or you can do bluetooth. I never consider to use the USB as an input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Galaxy S3 and the usb port does not read my music that us stored on my sd card nor does it read that my device is connected. Bluetooth streaming is not a standard feature on the SL or SV model. Needless to say I am disappointed with the lack of non standard bluetooth features and mobile device integration.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cable

I have the Galaxy Note and I use the aux ports next to the usb. Or you can do bluetooth. I never consider to use the USB as an input.

Did you have to buy some type of converter to use the aux? They are rca inputs correct? I was going to run by radio shack or somewhere and see if they had a rca to 3.5mm cable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never thought the pathfinder wouldn't have streaming capabilities. Luckily I bought the platinum edition with the Bose sound system and it plays beautifully with my droid razr maxx

·
Registered
186 Posts
hopefully future software updates will give us more options for phones and streaming

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I have an iPod that lives in my car full time and it works great with that. I just leave it plugged in and use the in-dash controls. I get that Apple products aren't for everyone, but an iPod Nano that lives specifically in the car , out of site and mind in the center console, might be a good solution for $150.

I'm pretty sure the dealer mentioned that it should be able to play music off a flash drive. Might have to have a peek at the manual.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've plugged in my daughters Ipod in and it works well. But like you I'm not an Ipod fan so for my last road trip I put a bunch of music on a USB stick and it worked well. I was able to scroll through the different folders of music no problem. The sound is good too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
for the usb to work make sure it's mp3 file NOT mp4. and for you to be able to play pandora or play music from your phone u need an audio wire that goes from 2.5 audio jack to rca. that way u can connect your phone using the av input in your center cosole and play it like that. best part too u dont have to spend 30+ bucks on an ipod all you spend is 3 bucks from radio shack and your set

·
Registered
234 Posts
Agreed, tried plugging my HTC EVO 4G LTE a newer phone in and nothing. Don't get why everything caters to Apple. Seems like it would be pretty simple to accomodate. But maybe I am just missing something. Does music have to be dumped onto the SD card in order for the Path to read it...
The reason why it's difficult to support "android" is because of fragmentation in specs of each software release, each piece of hardware, and each OS manipulation that the manufacturers and carriers are allowed to do. Like Apple or not, but anyone developing anything will find it easier to build something that works with all Apple devices. There is no way to do that when developing for Android. You have to pick the set of specs you will build to and understand that it won't work for everyone.

There are different USB specifications that the various andriod handset makers have used as well as specs that make them incompatible with the Nissan system. Not Nissan's fault.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason why it's difficult to support "android" is because of fragmentation in specs of each software release, each piece of hardware, and each OS manipulation that the manufacturers and carriers are allowed to do. Like Apple or not, but anyone developing anything will find it easier to build something that works with all Apple devices. There is no way to do that when developing for Android. You have to pick the set of specs you will build to and understand that it won't work for everyone.

There are different USB specifications that the various andriod handset makers have used as well as specs that make them incompatible with the Nissan system. Not Nissan's fault.
Well i'm glad i'm not the only person with this level of fustration regarding android intergration into vehicles these days. I have considered the 3.5m to RCA, i have like 3 of those cables at home but I would like to see the track text on my screen instead of a blank screen reading aux (kinda bland and boring!) I have done some research into the streaming and once i get the money i'm thinking i'm going to try the iSimple Tranzit Blu which is a universal adaptor thru your radio so you can stream music. Hopefully since it's connected to the antanna it will pick up track text. Any input on this???

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well i'm glad i'm not the only person with this level of fustration regarding android intergration into vehicles these days. I have considered the 3.5m to RCA, i have like 3 of those cables at home but I would like to see the track text on my screen instead of a blank screen reading aux (kinda bland and boring!) I have done some research into the streaming and once i get the money i'm thinking i'm going to try the iSimple Tranzit Blu which is a universal adaptor thru your radio so you can stream music. Hopefully since it's connected to the antanna it will pick up track text. Any input on this???
Hm, I'm not familiar with this one and I couldn't tell from the description if this was an "FM" passthrough or not. If it is FM, my only advice is to test it. I used an FM system with my 99 Path and it worked great, then I moved to an Infiniti M35 and I could never get a clear FM signal so it was useless. The entire radio/nav setup in the 13 Path was taken from the Infiniti line so you might have a similar bad situation.

Of course, if this system doesn't use an FM signal, then I don't know how well it will work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hm, I'm not familiar with this one and I couldn't tell from the description if this was an "FM" passthrough or not. If it is FM, my only advice is to test it. I used an FM system with my 99 Path and it worked great, then I moved to an Infiniti M35 and I could never get a clear FM signal so it was useless. The entire radio/nav setup in the 13 Path was taken from the Infiniti line so you might have a similar bad situation.

Of course, if this system doesn't use an FM signal, then I don't know how well it will work.

Yeah i'm not entirely sure as well since it uses bluetooth signal from your device to the adaptor but I guess somewhere within the interface it changes it to an FM signal your radio can translate. Below is the link. Check it out ..... Also it there's and app you can download that lets you choose your FM station instead of it being one designated station you can't change.

TranzIt Blu for Android

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the EVO LTE as well. My phone works fine and streams music with the song titles displayed on the screen. Then I can use the big knob with the 4 arrows to scroll and change songs, etc.

Connect phone to the USB port.
Screen will say something like "check connected device" or something.
Make sure you change the phone's connection to MOUNT AS DISK DRIVE instead of CHARGE ONLY.
Also, make sure USB Debugging is off.

Should work fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the EVO LTE as well. My phone works fine and streams music with the song titles displayed on the screen. Then I can use the big knob with the 4 arrows to scroll and change songs, etc.

Connect phone to the USB port.
Screen will say something like "check connected device" or something.
Make sure you change the phone's connection to MOUNT AS DISK DRIVE instead of CHARGE ONLY.
Also, make sure USB Debugging is off.

Should work fine.
I thought I had tried that on my Incredible 2 and Galaxy S3 but I guess I must have been doing something wrong. I went head and bit the bullet and switch back to the iPhone 5 since I still had time left to return it @ BestBuy and I knew it worked. Even though I'm not all about Apple products, I guess you gotta go with what works so. Plus side, at least I can purchase music on the go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ipod size limitations ???

Hi All,

Just received my new PF yesterday and must say I'm pretty happy with it thus far. Quick question: I saw that USB port is limited to FAT/FAT32 file formats. Thus, this limits your useable size for any device / Usb stick to 32Gb. Does anyone know/have an ipod larger than 32Gb that works and gets recognized properly by the sound system ? I've tried to connect mine (60Gb) and detects an Ipod is connected, but nothing after....Wondering if size is the issue or age of my Ipod (older one, although using right software version according to requirements in Nissan's users guide)...

Any insight is appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
32GB is an artificially imposed limit in Microsoft operating systems. Linux and OS X can format FAT32 to much larger partition sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
If its too big, you can split the files, put them in the same folder, they will play one after the other. Its a pain, but its an option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts