Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Pathfinder with CVT (Platinum, V6, AWD). I remember when we bought it, I was thrilled about it having a CVT because I had had a wonderful experience with the smooth CVT in a Prius V that I had previously leased. However, instead of the smoothness I expected from a CVT, the feel of the Pathfinder transmission seemed to mimic a regular geared transmission (for example, feeling the surge of downshifting when you put the pedal to the metal instead of smoothly varying). Anyway, I was never thrilled with it, and there was this occasional symptom that at low speeds: the car would sometimes buck like it was going to stall (like in a manual transmission if you let the clutch out without giving it enough gas). But this wasn't frequent, and could usually be easily resolved by removing one's foot from the accelerator briefly.

Recently, (at about 85k miles) when testing codes from a check engine light (due to minor evap leak), I notice the code P17F1(00), and later P17F2(00). When I google those codes, I see the TSB for engine judder. I ask them to look into this at the Nissan dealership when I am having something minor done. They say, the transmission should be replaced, but since my car is just passed the 80k mile limit (though still within the 6 year limit) it's out of the warranty period, but they will contact Nissan and see what they are willing to do for a good customer.

I've not been too worried since the car drives OK most of the time. But now they have come back and made me an offer, which seems too good to refuse. Now, of course, I think that Nissan should actually make this replacement entirely on their dime, especially since these codes were probably there well before 80k miles. And the occasional low speed bucking (is that what is classified as judder?) has been there all along. But that doesn't seem like it's happening. Instead, they have offered me what seems like a very good deal. They will replace the transmission entirely and cover 90% of the cost, leaving me to pay $530 + tax.

Is this an offer that is too good to refuse, or are the suckering me in to paying 10% for a repair that they really should be fully covering. Or both?

Thanks.

-J

·
Administrator
5,152 Posts
Forget about laying the blame on Nissan. You're past the warranty, so that's that. If they are willing to replace the entire transmission (and not just the valve body) for $530, go for it! They want $5800 to replace mine. I have a 2013 with only 76,000 miles, but I'm not sinking that kind of money into a 10-year-old vehicle. The judder has just become a minor inconvenience at this point, so we decided just to live with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts