Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to put the transmission into manual mode, you move the gear selector to "Drive" twice. Problem with that is there is no indicator on the shifter itself other than seeing "1" or the gear number on the instrument cluster. The reason I don't like it is because it happened to me and it can happen by mistake where you're parked or stopped while in "D" and before you start moving you shift into "D" again. With than you end up in Manual mode. I am trying to make it a habit in this car to look at the dashboard when shifting to confirm that it shows "D" before moving.

With most other cars, you have to move shifter sideways or push a button to get into Manual mode, not just move it into Drive twice!! Does anyone else hate this design?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,066 Posts
With most other cars, you have to move shifter sideways or push a button to get into Manual mode, not just move it into Drive twice!! Does anyone else hate this design?
Yep. Not a big fan of Nissan's fly by wire gear selector, although I haven't experienced the new Pathfinder's yet. I know I find it awkward on my inlaw's 2021 Rogue. I guess it's just a throw-back. To me, a rotary dial or buttons would be better.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,009 Posts
No rotary dials please.... Dodge had to go back to a shifter on the Durango after so many complaints, I once test drove a Ram with the rotary and hated it, the sales guy left it in reverse instead of park and got out of it, almost drove through the window.
I need to have a shifter, don't care if it's electronic, wired, linkage or anything. Might be from learning to drive stick first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No rotary dials please.... Dodge had to go back to a shifter on the Durango after so many complaints, I once test drove a Ram with the rotary and hated it, the sales guy left it in reverse instead of park and got out of it, almost drove through the window.
I need to have a shifter, don't care if it's electronic, wired, linkage or anything. Might be from learning to drive stick first.
Totally agree with you. I hate these rotary dial or button shifters. My only complaint is how the manual mode can activated inadvertently in the 2022 PF.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,066 Posts
Impossible for that to happen since ~2018 w/ Rams. The trans switches itself into park if the door is opened and seat belt unlatched.
I've owned two Ram 1500's with the rotary dail (ZF8 transmission). To me, the dial itself is fine, it's just the placement is not great . It's real close to both the HVAC dail and the radio dial. Real easy to spin the wrong one. I've done it a time or five.

Carry on with playing with your levers. I'll got my knob to spin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts