Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm not an expert on trailer hitches nor have I ever used one before. I don't use it to haul anything, its basically there to keep the tailgaters at a distance. My question is, when I go over any sort of bump with my PF, the hitch makes this large thump sound, is there any way to secure it so it does not shake like that at all, to sort of seal it so there is no movement whatsoever? Hopefully my question is understood.

·
Super Moderator
4,005 Posts
The Pathfinder hitch receiver is 2" wide. What is the width of the hitch you have? I'm guessing it might be 1 1/4? You could wrap something waterproof around the shank (a section of bike tube would be ideal) before you shove it in. That should stop the rattle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pathfinder hitch receiver is 2" wide. What is the width of the hitch you have? I'm guessing it might be 1 1/4? You could wrap something waterproof around the shank (a section of bike tube would be ideal) before you shove it in. That should stop the rattle.
The size of my hitch is exactly the only thing that can fit in there. I like the idea of the bike tube since it is rubber and hopefully it can stop the rattling. Mind you, the only time it does rattle is when I go over a speed bump or something like that, while Im driving it doesnt rattle at all.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The easy way to tell what is rattling is just to stand and carefully rock up or down or side to side on the hitch and see what vibrates.. is it the install? Or is it the bar you have plugged into the hitch?

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is that one of those Harbor Freight Tools specials? It looks cool painted fluorescent yellow!

Thing is- A hitch is pretty much always going to rattle a bit in the receiver when the vehicle goes over bumps. More of a clunk if you've actually got a trailer's weight on it.

If you wrap something around the hitch to make it fit tight, I'd fear not being able to pull it back out when you want to.

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
Jman did you actually use one of those?... I had one and it really didn't work and thats when I got the one in my post and it work much better.
I do. Mine first came with a bike rack and it worked great to keep it from moving with 4 bikes on it. I then got more for my cargo carrier.
The secret of those is that there has to be a 1/2" hole in the draw bar, carrier or rack, otherwise you need to drill one.
The area with the blue arrow is 5/8" so it goes through the hitch hole but not through the 1/2" of the draw bar so it pushes it and keeps it tight. The area with the red arrow is 1/2".

When I'm towing I just use a regular 5/8", there is plenty of noise from the WDH, chains, etc to worry about another one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol, no
Is that one of those Harbor Freight Tools specials? It looks cool painted fluorescent yellow!

Thing is- A hitch is pretty much always going to rattle a bit in the receiver when the vehicle goes over bumps. More of a clunk if you've actually got a trailer's weight on it.

If you wrap something around the hitch to make it fit tight, I'd fear not being able to pull it back out when you want to.
, Its a standard hitch which I had powder coated for simple cosmetic purposes.

Im leaning towards trying the rubber wrap, hopefully it wont get stuck, although I never pull out the hitch unless Im going to travel and I put the car cover on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Larry, how does that go installed? Would that go where the lock pin goes?it looks interesting
the nut flat part goes on the receiver just before the lip and the loop part goes on of the hitch...its hard to explain so here it is

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the nut flat part goes on the receiver just before the lip and the loop part goes on of the hitch...its hard to explain so here it is
That actually looks like it could solve the issue since you tighten as much as you need, but, the only issue I have with that system is that it can be stolen very easily. I don't think I would be able to leave it on as a permanent install unless they sold a lock for it just like I have on my hitch. So I'm back to the bike tube solution for now.

·
Super Moderator
4,005 Posts
I don't use it to haul anything, its basically there to keep the tailgaters at a distance. My question is, when I go over any sort of bump with my PF, the hitch makes this large thump sound, is there any way to secure it so it does not shake like that at all, to sort of seal it so there is no movement whatsoever?
View attachment 14936
Also, I imagine that hitch is very light. When I have my hitch on for my trailer, that sucker weighs about 50 lbs. No way that it's going to "rattle", lol!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, I imagine that hitch is very light. When I have my hitch on for my trailer, that sucker weighs about 50 lbs. No way that it's going to "rattle", lol!
Lol. Definitely. I never haul or plan to haul anything. Im going to try the bike tube and hopefully that minimizes the rattling.

·
Registered
306 Posts
but, the only issue I have with that system is that it can be stolen very easily.
Do you really think someone would steel that. The thief would need a wrench and with a wrench I could think of better stuff to steal than a little bracket. When not connected to the trailer its not installed anyway. Ive left my connected with my utility trailer for days when I was up at the cottage with lots of beer swilling hicks in town and no one stole it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't want to scuff up the custom powder coated hitch!
I wouldn't want to scuff
Do you really think someone would steel that. The thief would need a wrench and with a wrench I could think of better stuff to steal than a little bracket. When not connected to the trailer its not installed anyway. Ive left my connected with my utility trailer for days when I was up at the cottage with lots of beer swilling hicks in town and no one stole it.
So it doesnt work unless you have a trailer attached? I dont haul anything with my hitch.

My PF is in the carribean (a.k.a 3rd world country) you would be surprised what they steal out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts