Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2013 Pathfinder which experienced shuddering issues in 2015 and was addressed via the dealer replacing the control valve. Since 2015, we've had a few A/C problems but the transmission hasn't shuddered since.

I'm wondering your opinions on if this is a ticking time bomb and I should seek a replacement vehicle now or can I let it ride? Trade in is only about $8K so not much money is on the line but I'm more worried about it leaving my wife stranded or not able to accelerate on the highway when needed.

I guess my question is what would you do? Is it risky to keep going? It's a platinum premium version that has 132,000 miles on it and has had CVT transmission fluid changed 3 times at around 45K intervals. It was bought brand new back in 2013.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
52 Posts
Hell if it's still in good shape rock it out. My wife's 16 had the radiator fan go out. But luckily no transmission issues yet. Besides typical wear items like battery and brakes. Has the belt been replaced?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,698 Posts
Is it 4x4? If so, there are some very expensive things that can go out given the age/mileage. Transfer case, rear coupling, rear prop shaft, rear differential, etc. A transfer case replacement is a $4K job easy. Rear coupler is a couple grand. Most owners don't even know to change transfer case gear oil and not doing so will kill them eventually. There's no maintenance for the other items aside from changing gear oil in the rear differential.

A/C issues are a couple grand easy.

That being said, if you're not having any problems and you want to make the best financial decision, by all means keep what you have and budget some money for potential repairs.

If you're like me and you like having a different vehicle every few years, unload it. To me, $8K is a low ball trade-offer presently for what you have. It should be closer to $10-12K as-is.

Reactions: AWD

·
Registered
2022 R53 SL 2WD
69 Posts
My wife has a 2013 Pathfinder which experienced shuddering issues in 2015 and was addressed via the dealer replacing the control valve. Since 2015, we've had a few A/C problems but the transmission hasn't shuddered since.

I'm wondering your opinions on if this is a ticking time bomb and I should seek a replacement vehicle now or can I let it ride? Trade in is only about $8K so not much money is on the line but I'm more worried about it leaving my wife stranded or not able to accelerate on the highway when needed.

I guess my question is what would you do? Is it risky to keep going? It's a platinum premium version that has 132,000 miles on it and has had CVT transmission fluid changed 3 times at around 45K intervals. It was bought brand new back in 2013.
I traded in my r52 car with all those problems and then some, got what I owed and some positive equity, I got lowballed for sure but I’m a good salesman haha or used to be, rather than settle I stuck to my guns, I mean the used car market is on a rollercoaster downhill but if you paid it off see what you get, I’m happy with the r53!

what’s funny is that I saw them post pictures with the engine light and radio broken so I’m hoping they’ll fix it but I learned that someone will always buy your Stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If being a time bomb is your issue I’d suggest riding it out. It sounds like a nice car with unfortunately little value. Seems like a no brainer to drive it into the ground. 132k with all those fluid changes and no probs sounds great to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's paid off and Ive had the rear diff fluid changed at least twice during it's time. It's 4x4 but we never use that mode. Usually FWD or AWD. Been paid off since 2018, but I worry about it leaving us stranded somewhere. I've got a new SUV for road trips so trying to keep the pathfinder local mostly.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,698 Posts
It's paid off and Ive had the rear diff fluid changed at least twice during it's time. It's 4x4 but we never use that mode. Usually FWD or AWD. Been paid off since 2018, but I worry about it leaving us stranded somewhere. I've got a new SUV for road trips so trying to keep the pathfinder local mostly.
The rear diff isn't a problem as it holds lots more gear oil than the transfer case. It also doesn't really matter if you use 4x4 modes or not as the T-case and rear diff are churning any time the vehicle's wheels are rolling.

I agree with the above comments in that the most financially wise thing to do is hang onto what you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts