Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We own a 2014 Pathfinder S and have purchased a Keystone Summerland Mini 1800BH. Its dry weight is 3270 and has a hitch weight of 450lbs. I did all the calculations and its about 600lbs below the 5k tow rating and we are good as long as we don't load up the vehicle.

We have a stabilizer hitch installed and it balances the load alright but I'm still getting some dip in the back. I have no problem pulling it up hills or anything on back roads but it feels a bit squirrelly on the highway. I'm also noticing a lot of bounce in the back around 55 MPH I'm new to towing this much weight so its not like I have a whole lot of confidence at the moment and was wondering what would be the best thing to start with.

I have looked up a few things....new Struts, etc. The one thing that stands out is the Coil-Rite Air Helper springs. Has anyone had much experience with these? Should I start with these or does it make more sense to go with a new Strut instead or as well?

Thanks in advance fore the help :)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,253 Posts
Congratulations on both of your purchases!

One of the things that we as R52 platform Pathfinder owners are finding is that there are not a lot of options for us out there for rear suspension improvements. Some have looked at using air bags, but again, only a couple of manufacturers make anything that will fit our vehicles. Weight distribution hitches help immensely, but the vehicle still sags noticeably even so.

Feeling a tug over bumps and dips is normal for pulling a trailer, but it should not be swaying at all. Most WDHs come with an anti-sway bar as an attachment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have the E2 WDH(See attached IMG). The only time I've taken it highway so far was to drive the trailer home. Admittedly that day it was very windy (10-15 sustained w/ 25-30 gust about every 1-2 minutes) so I'm taking the first trip with a grain of salt. It was quite the white knuckle affair. :tongue:

The next trip is about 73 miles one way 90% of which is highway so I wanted to get an idea of things that can help. I wasn't able to find much but OE struts for the back but the Air supports I'm thinking are going to be thing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,376 Posts
Get the anti-sway bar/shock, you won't regret it.
You should be able to lift the back of your PF to a leveled position by adjusting your WDH more aggressively, but it will bounce more.
Remember that when using a WDH your vehicle's suspension will act funny, the front won't go up (i.e. going over a bump) without the back also rising, the trailer's wheels become your rear wheels.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anti-sway bars only mask the issue. If you have the tongue weight correct, you should not need an anti-sway bar. Try putting some more weight forward.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,376 Posts
Anti-sway bars only mask the issue. If you have the tongue weight correct, you should not need an anti-sway bar. Try putting some more weight forward.
I do agree that there should not be sway and if there is you should make sure your tongue weight is 10-15% of your trailer's gross weight to prevent it.
However, you not always load your trailer exactly the same way plus some unexpected driving conditions/maneuvers can cause it. It's like insurance, good to have it when you need it.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2017 4X4 Pathfinder, A E2 WDH hitch, and air bags in the rear coils. I'm not sure about the 2017 and the 2014 Model similarities, but I will offer my experience in hopes that it will help you. My Trailer is a 2017 Flagstaf Microlight that weighs 4,260 lbs. When I first put the micro light on the Pathy I noticed that the rear did sag a bit and the steering felt a bit light and wandered a little. this combo did drive O.K. But in the wrong circumstances may not give me all of the control I would need. I should also say I had six adjustment washers in the hitch. I felt that forward weight transfer was being lost due to the soft coil springs in the back of the Pathy. So, I installed a set of Air Bags in the rear of the Pathy. Now the Pathy is just about 3/4" lower than stock height in the rear, and the front is stock height. Now, this combo drives great. Even in the wind. I probably have 3,000 miles on this combo in the course of getting it sorted out so, I'm confident that we have enough testing to be sure of our results. Just one more observation about front tires air pressure. I had been running about 50 lbs of air pressure all around. In my experience, that is too much. The Pathy will wander at freeway speeds and you will have to work too hard to drive it. It's just too tedious. So, I drop my front air pressure to 40-45 lbs and that makes the Pathy track much better. Now, I'm really comfortable driving this set up. It works good.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
I had been running about 50 lbs of air pressure all around. In my experience, that is too much. The Pathy will wander at freeway speeds and you will have to work too hard to drive it. It's just too tedious. So, I drop my front air pressure to 40-45 lbs and that makes the Pathy track much better. Now, I'm really comfortable driving this set up. It works good.
The door label on my 2013 SL reads 33 psi. :eek: Why did you feel you needed to go so high?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Door Post Sticker??

Good Question Jay, My door Post sticker says 33 lbs as well. My tires are the 18" Toyos. The sidewall on the tires says 44 lbs max. When towing, or just carrying heavy loads, I like to carry 5lbs over the max. Ride suffers slightly, but mileage is improved. I'm getting close to 19K on the odometer and tires still look new. As I mentioned in my previous post, 50 lbs in the front tires will cause my pathy to wander at freeway speeds. In my experience, the pathy will track much better @ 45 lbs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
50 is probably higher than I would be comfortable with. I keep mine around 40-43.
Personally I feel the number on the door jams are BS. Each tire is deigned to run at different pressure, and you should be going by the tire.
Running tires at 10+psi below their max will cause reduced mileage and improper wear.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I run at the recommended 33psi

40+ and you're going to have wear on your tires pretty fast
I disagree. The tires are rated at 44psi MAX. running them up to that pressure should provide even wear as designed. Running them lower will cause accelerated wear on the outsides of the tread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I disagree. The tires are rated at 44psi MAX. running them up to that pressure should provide even wear as designed. Running them lower will cause accelerated wear on the outsides of the tread.
I disagree. I raced my daily on a road course track and back then with proper agressive summer tire I did experiment with higher pressures but there are many variables, temperature being one of them. On a regular daily driven car with regular street tires going up to 5 over PSI might improve handling depending on the type of tires. Anything over that ruins tires and destroys ride comfort without any handling improvements. Read a little about tire contact patch. I find your recommendation dangerous, people might get hurt.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
536 Posts
I disagree. I raced my daily on a road course track and back then with proper agressive summer tire I did experiment with higher pressures but there are many variables, temperature being one of them. On a regular daily driven car with regular street tires going up to 5 over PSI might improve handling depending on the type of tires. Anything over that ruins tires and destroys ride comfort without any handling improvements. Read a little about tire contact patch. I find your recommendation dangerous, people might get hurt.
Going 5 over what the door jamb sticker says or going 5 over the max recommended pressure as listed on the tire sidewall?

I hear you though.. There's so many variables that factor into this.

For a regular passenger vehicle, I tell people to use the door jamb label spec, but don't exceed the sidewall spec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going 5 over what the door jamb sticker says or going 5 over the max recommended pressure as listed on the tire sidewall?

I hear you though.. There's so many variables that factor into this.

For a regular passenger vehicle, I tell people to use the door jamb label spec, but don't exceed the sidewall spec.
Yes 5 PSI over MFR recs. Suspension is tuned with that particular pressure in mind. Depending on ride comfort preference, cornering comfort, type of tire, surface driven and time of the year up to 5PSI over COLD might help. It will definitely help with MPGs but at some point as you are going up, contact patch gets smaller and smaller. So it will start cornering much worse. You will NOT change the bouncy, soft suspension on Pathfinder by inflating tires to stupid high levels either.......yes it will feel more firm and it might decrease the bounce effect slightly but it will not corner better at all. You will feel small, short road imperfections and potholes more ....that's about it. Also...if inflated to max tire pressure COLD, you are hitting 50+ on the HWY.....just stupid. Right now I am sitting at 35/36 (depending on ambient) PSI COLD and it's perfect. Still very comfy ride, good MPG and u can corner kinda confidently ....kinda.....it's such a pig in turns. Coming from CX9 ...holy **** ...it's a boat but comfortable one so I'll take it. Peace!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts