Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't find much regarding MPG when towing so does anyone have any data on this? I just purchased a 6 x 12 enclosed V-nose and when empty I only got about 10.8 MPG driving 65 on the highway. I was a little surprised and was expecting a little better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Didn't find much regarding MPG when towing so does anyone have any data on this? I just purchased a 6 x 12 enclosed V-nose and when empty I only got about 10.8 MPG driving 65 on the highway. I was a little surprised and was expecting a little better.
I have a 7x12 V-nose enclosed trailer enclosed trailer. I had a 6x12 enclosed trailer that I pulled with a Murano. I now have a Pathfinder and an F-150 ecoboost. They all get bad mileage pulling these enclosed trailers. I think pulling a parachute would be easier.

Harvey

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
how heavy was the trailer and weight of what was in the trailer?

i think when it comes to towing you can never expect good MPG unless it's a big diesel.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how heavy was the trailer and weight of what was in the trailer?

i think when it comes to towing you can never expect good MPG unless it's a big diesel.
Trailer was empty and its weight is probably close to 1500 lbs. I just remember someone posting before they got excellent MPG when towing but never stated what they actually got.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in a flat part of the world so weight doesn't seem to make much difference. Wind and speed both make a huge difference. I think the flat back end of the trailer is the main drag.

Harvey

·
Registered
42 Posts
I towed my new Kawasaki Teryx4 on my new PJ Trailer - a 14 foot flatbed. Total weight was about 3,000#. My pathfinder has about 1,200 miles on the clock and, according to the dash readout, I get about 22 MPG empty. I towed the load about 40 miles on up and down Montana roads and the dash readout gave me 18.5 MPG. I thought the load pulled very easy and I was thrilled with the mileage. My old 2007 F150 wouldn't have been close to that.

Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
I towed my new Kawasaki Teryx4 on my new PJ Trailer - a 14 foot flatbed. Total weight was about 3,000#. My pathfinder has about 1,200 miles on the clock and, according to the dash readout, I get about 22 MPG empty. I towed the load about 40 miles on up and down Montana roads and the dash readout gave me 18.5 MPG. I thought the load pulled very easy and I was thrilled with the mileage. My old 2007 F150 wouldn't have been close to that.

Mike
That's some pretty good mileage. Getting 18-22mpg pulling 3000+ load is pretty impressive. I'm assuming road and weather conditions were pretty good that day.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For anyone who tows does your ball hitch move much? Mine is a little loose and it's for a 2" receiver which the PF should be right? I have the Reese brand but am considering looking for something else due to how much it moves and causes the trailer to bounce a lot with a lot of noise.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For anyone who tows does your ball hitch move much? Mine is a little loose and it's for a 2" receiver which the PF should be right? I have the Reese brand but am considering looking for something else due to how much it moves and causes the trailer to bounce a lot with a lot of noise.
You need this dandy item. I've used pulling a boat, trailer, and cargo rack. Really helps a lot and made out of solid half inch steel.

Amazon.com: Hitch Clamp Heavy Duty - 2 INCH: Automotive

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have towed a number of trailers and found that frontal area is a big factor and so is frontal shape. I have towed a snowmobile trailer w/ salt shield and a light load and got worse mileage than pulling my deep vee 2700# boat. Same for my father's small 1500# trihull utility boat. Snomobile trailer 16mpg, trihull utility boat 14.5 mpg, 2700# vee boat 17mpg. That is better than my F150 v-8 ever did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pulling an aerodynamic 17 foot trailer weighing 2,000 lb I also got mileage about the same as yours. Were you using cruise control at all? I noticed the revs stayed unusually high when in cruise versus not in cruise at same speed. Am checking with local dealership to see if there is a workaround. I'm not happy at not being able to use cruise on long trips if I want reasonable mileage.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulling an aerodynamic 17 foot trailer weighing 2,000 lb I also got mileage about the same as yours. Were you using cruise control at all? I noticed the revs stayed unusually high when in cruise versus not in cruise at same speed. Am checking with local dealership to see if there is a workaround. I'm not happy at not being able to use cruise on long trips if I want reasonable mileage.
I used cruise on the flat stretches and was also using tow mode even though the load wasn't heavy and it was fairly flat with some rolling hills. The manual does recommend against cruise control so curious what the dealer will say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pulled my Triton ATV trailer which has about a 7' x 8' bed, carrying about 1400 pounds of bagged rock and soil. Mileage dropped to about 20 mpg on the dash readout over a 40 mile trip. In real life, it was probably closer to 18-19 mpg.
My hitch also rattles when the trailer is empty. Had the same problem on my last car with the 1 1/2" hitch. And, for what it is worth, my last car was a Ford Edge and mileage dropped in a similar manner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts