Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I pulled a 4000 traveler through the east coast and the PF just died going up the hills and in no way could it maintain 60mph. I tried as I was trying to catch a ferry, and it put the transmission into high temp mode and forced you drive under 50mph by cutting the throttle. My travel was based on maintaining 55mph. I was late and gas MPG went through the roof.

On the flat absolutely, no issue and it was a joy to pull and handled very well at highway speeds with plenty of pull power. Going down steep hills with turns at the bottom became a white knuckler a few times as you could feel the trailer push and lift the rear end. I had a WDH installed and I think that made the world of difference and also helped level the vehicle out. Gas MPG was very acceptable on the flats at HWY speeds. On relativley flat HWYs I got very close to my actual city MPG while pulling the trailer on the HWY.

So, it depends on where and at what time of year you plan on traveling as these things can negatively affect your results..

Pulling a travel trailer much heavier than 4000lbs in hot temps where hills are concerned definitely is going to cost you and IMO would be a very costly dissatisfying option.
What year was it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What year was it?
I'll add to his post and believe frontal area of the trailer will determine how well it pulls. I have a 19 with under 20k miles and pulled an empty 6x12 enclosed box trailer with 6' interior height weighing only 1000lb thru vt and nh 55mph roads recently. While it pulled decent and would maintain 60-62 ish up hills, there was nothing left if i mashed the gas pedal at that speed going up hills. Felt like big time ecu nanny going on, as rpm would not shoot up with more pedal input. Also, my trip to get the trailer resulted in 28mpg, return with trailer saw just under 14 on the same roads, same day.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,478 Posts
No. No stock vehicle "saves" power to be used on extreme conditions. 100% of the engine's power is available at all times.
The tow mode changes how the transmission works keeping it at higher rpms which is where internal combustion engines produce more torque.

Unless you add nitro-us oxide or meth injection, there is nowhere to pull additional power (hp) from. Hybrids do run on the electric motor under low loads and have the internal combustion engine kick in when harder acceleration or more power is required, but that is not the case here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No. No stock vehicle "saves" power to be used on extreme conditions. 100% of the engine's power is available at all times.
The tow mode changes how the transmission works keeping it at higher rpms which is where internal combustion engines produce more torque.

Unless you add nitro-us oxide or meth injection, there is nowhere to pull additional power (hp) from. Hybrids do run on the electric motor under low loads and have the internal combustion engine kick in when harder acceleration or more power is required, but that is not the case here.
If TowMode keeps engine in higher rpm's how does the Overdrive switch affect the over all performance?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
627 Posts
If TowMode keeps engine in higher rpm's how does the Overdrive switch affect the over all performance?
I think tow mode allows for more engine/compression braking as well. Turing OD off keeps engine RPMs quite a bit higher all the time. I rarely get to drive our PF, but when I do, in lots of the driving conditions I do, I like to keep OD off. The engine doesn't lug and the CVT isn't constantly "shifting" all over the place. Fuel economy sucks no matter what you do on our 2019 it seems. My hemi Ram 1500 crew cab pickup gets quite a bit better fuel economy LOL.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts