Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying something in the 2017-2020 range. Will be dragging a 3000# tent trailer.

Any concerns with the CVT handling this? I had a Nissan guy today tell me he has a 3rd gen Pathfinder to drag his motorcycle trailer because the friction in the CVT when towing isn't good. I could wait until the 2021 if it's really a concern, there is no burning need to upgrade yet.

I know that's well within weight, but I have a Murano that's started exhibiting weird overheating issues that no-one can solve (see my other post) in normal driving. They started since started dragging a tent trailer (6-7 times total hauling). Might be completely unrelated and coincidental, it's a very high mileage Murano... but it got me thinking I should do my research.

Just test drove an Armada Platinum Reserve for 24hrs, wow amazing vehicle, loved it. But, just too much...vehicle.... :)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,242 Posts
I think most here agree that towing a trailer with a mostly FWD CVT-powered transmission isn't optimal, but as long as you keep your load within the limits, it's doable. My personal thought is that I tow maybe 8 times a year for camping trips. The remaining time, it's a people-hauler. I purchased mine for the comfort and utility it affords.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's roughly my usage as well. Looks like I'm about to purchase a 2020 SL Rock Creek :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer told me they put a steel CVT belt in the PF as opposed to the typical rubber CVT belt in the cars and Rogue specifically to handle the increased towing capacity. Sounds like if it’s engineered to tow 6000 lbs, it should be able to handle 3000.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
522 Posts
If it's any consolation, I've yet to hear of a Pathfinder CVT failing while towing.

On the other hand, ones driven under normal driving conditions, you read of lots of issues for what ever reason.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You will not have any issues with the powertrain on towing that weight, however you WILL have a saggy back end. The pathfinder sucks with tongue weight. I added aribags, they are to short, I added new shocks and it didn't help. Do not tow anything over 350 pounds of tongue weight with this car. You can search my old posts and see my frustration with this car. BWT, I still love it for the family, but I had to get a RAM 1500 for towing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 2017 Platinum. I tow a pop camper weight at 3500 lb dry. By the time I load all the gears, wife, kid, and two bikes on the roof, I can pass 5000 lb easily. The rear will sag a bit, but the towing experience is excellent. Sometimes I don't feel like I am towing anything back there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We tow our Crossroad TT with out '17 FWD SL. It does alright but you can definitely tell there is 4500+lbs hanging on the back of the PF, especially when you accelerate from a stop and the slightest pedal increase causes the front tires to spin. We've since added the Dobinson rear springs to handle the tongue weight and address the rear sag issue. It's better but I wont be using the PF for long road trips more than 250-300 miles.

Even tough they say the PF is not rated to use leveling anti-sway hitches, we're using one anyways. On our way back home this morning, I was driving into a +15 mph quartering headwind and we were tossed around pretty good but the leveling anti-sway hitch did it's job superbly. I was more concerned with fuel planning since we averaged 5 mpg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts