• G19FBS

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to towing. I have a 2018 PF FWD.
I am currently looking in between 2 sizes of GEO Pro. I saw some threads saying towing a TT 4000lbs can be troublesome when going uphill.

Here are the spec difference between 15 and 19:
UVW(Unloaded Vehicle Weight):It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas 2483lb (15) VS 3075lb (19)
CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity): CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW 1383lb (15) VS 1283lb (19)
GVWR: 3866lb (15) VS 4313lb (19)
Exterior Length: 15'10'' VS 20'2''

My wife and I (no kids) will go to mountains from time to time, so high elevation and uphill are expected. Will G19FBS be too much of a struggle?

Just had U-hual installed curt hitch receiver and 7 pin connector. I saw the WBH and Auti Sway bar are also needed. Are they normally come together or need to buy separately? Any suggestion on the model?
And what does airbag do?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,572 Posts
You will likely be okay with either one. The weight distribution hitch and sway bar are typically sold together. You will also need a brake controller if the trailer has electric brakes. Air bags help prevent rear-end sag when the trailer is attached; nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.

Reactions: ywang0322

·
Registered
164 Posts
4300lb GVWR is probably fine. The issue usually comes when people see 4000lb Dry weight, which means when loaded it will be closer to 6000lbs.
If you are going to be in the mountains, it's definitely going to be working to go up, but it shouldn't be a big problem. Just take your time.

Some WDH come with anti-sway, some don't. My advice would be don't let the trailer dealer talk you into a hitch. They typically don't know what they are talking about, and only want to sell you the highest margin product. Go on etrailer.com and take a look at hitches there. They also have great customer service and should be able to help you through any questions.
You will also need a brake controller for the trailer brakes, and again, etrailer should be able to direct you to a good choice. Installation is very simple, you just need to purchase the correct adapter pig tail.

Air bags will help take some of the sag out of the rear of the vehicle. The best thing to do is get the trailer properly hitched up, and then determine if it has too much squat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much the answers!

Do you think Curt wireless brake controller is a good choice? ($229 from etrailer)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone had experience with EAZ LIFT WDH with sway bars?
Seems with good reviews and affordable price. So for PF, should we go with 600lb tongue weight one or higher (800, 1000lb)?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Do you think Curt wireless brake controller is a good choice? ($229 from etrailer)
That's the one I have.

I like having it because I don't need to drill or attach anything to the inside of Pathy. My wife would kill me if I did that. You do need to mount the box on the trailer, but it wasn't hard.

·
Registered
2015 Pathfinder Platinum
4 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking in between 2 sizes of GEO Pro. I saw some threads saying towing a TT 4000lbs can be troublesome when going uphill.

UVW(Unloaded Vehicle Weight):It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas 2483lb (15) VS 3075lb (19)
CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity): CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW 1383lb (15) VS 1283lb (19)
View attachment 15696
My wife and I (no kids) will go to mountains from time to time, so high elevation and uphill are expected. Will G19FBS be too much of a struggle?

Just had U-hual installed curt hitch receiver and 7 pin connector. I saw the WBH and Auti Sway bar are also needed. Are they normally come together or need to buy separately? Any suggestion on the model?
And what does airbag do?

Thanks!

I have a 2015 PF Platinum. I bought it specifically because it has a 5000 lb tow capacity. I pull a 2018 Jayco Jay Flight 154BH with a with a GVWR of 3250. I have never had the need for a sway bar. I have driven up and down the west coast with this setup several times over the past two years and have never had a problem going over the mountain ranges. I'm looking to upgrade to a slightly larger and heavier unit so this is good information for me.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
4300lb GVWR is probably fine. The issue usually comes when people see 4000lb Dry weight, which means when loaded it will be closer to 6000lbs.
If you are going to be in the mountains, it's definitely going to be working to go up, but it shouldn't be a big problem. Just take your time.

Some WDH come with anti-sway, some don't. My advice would be don't let the trailer dealer talk you into a hitch. They typically don't know what they are talking about, and only want to sell you the highest margin product. Go on etrailer.com and take a look at hitches there. They also have great customer service and should be able to help you through any questions.
You will also need a brake controller for the trailer brakes, and again, etrailer should be able to direct you to a good choice. Installation is very simple, you just need to purchase the correct adapter pig tail.

Air bags will help take some of the sag out of the rear of the vehicle. The best thing to do is get the trailer properly hitched up, and then determine if it has too much squat.
The appropriate WDH when adjusted correctly should eliminate the need for airbags - especially in this weight class.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Navihar I would agree with you if we were not talking about the Pathfinder but it has an extremely saggy butt with loads that aren't that heavy. IMO I would get both the airbags and the WDH.

Reactions: rwat

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am pulling a Kodiak Cub with my 2015 PF AWD. The trailers actual weight fully loaded for travel is 4300#. Tongue weight is 700#. Dry weight is 3400# and tongue 500#. I tow at 60 mph and get 8 to 12 mpg depending on wind direction.

The cruise control cuts out on steep hills, but the big engine can still do it. Emergency stopping is extended even with trailer breaks, but is still good. Engine rpm hovers around 2500 rpm on level without head wind. Steep hill runs up to 4000 rpm.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!:)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,572 Posts
I tow at 60 mph and get 8 to 12 mpg depending on wind direction.

The cruise control cuts out on steep hills, but the big engine can still do it.
It's never a good idea to use cruise control while towing. It's better for the driver to adjust manually for terrain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your opinion is noted. It probably works well for you. But, without better analysis, I have to stick to my analysis. It is better for me to control my speed and not slowly creep faster or slower which invariably happens. Of course road conditions sometimes dictate otherwise.
Slowing inappropriately sometimes leads other drivers to execute dangerous passing maneuvers. Speeding leads to irritating highway police and unsafe speeds. Without the curise my rig frequenlty becomes an obsticle on the highway.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have been using the curt controller for about 10 months. Works well with the trailer brakes. The app can be used on android or iphone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone,

View attachment 15696

And what does airbag do?

Thanks!
I'd be curious to know which trailer you chose. My husband and I are considering these same two trailers and I are wondering if the weight difference will make towing much easier/harder.

Also, do you mind telling me how much you paid for the U-Haul hitch receiver? I just got a quote from a local Nissan dealer today that the Nissan Class III receiver is $250 and with the finisher and 7-pin harness it comes to $420 plus $360 for labor in the service department. Neither me or my husband are mechanical so we don't want to do it ourselves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd be curious to know which trailer you chose. My husband and I are considering these same two trailers and I are wondering if the weight difference will make towing much easier/harder.

Also, do you mind telling me how much you paid for the U-Haul hitch receiver? I just got a quote from a local Nissan dealer today that the Nissan Class III receiver is $250 and with the finisher and 7-pin harness it comes to $420 plus $360 for labor in the service department. Neither me or my husband are mechanical so we don't want to do it ourselves.
I have not moved forward of buying a trailer yet.
For the U-hual, I believe hitch receiver + harness + labor is under $400. You can get a quote from their website to get the exact number.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not moved forward of buying a trailer yet.
For the U-hual, I believe hitch receiver + harness + labor is under $400. You can get a quote from their website to get the exact number.
We just put in an order for the 15TB and it will be delivered in August. We went with the 15TB for two reasons--my husband is 6'3" and that's the only bed he can sleep on without his feet dangling (the other layouts are 6" too short), AND we decided to keep the weight down because we don't want to strain the car and stress out driving.

Yes, Uhaul is about $400 so I "think" we are going with that now that we finally ordered the trailer and realize how many other things we need to get--like brake controller, WDH, backup camera, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Navihar I would agree with you if we were not talking about the Pathfinder but it has an extremely saggy butt with loads that aren't that heavy. IMO I would get both the airbags and the WDH.
WDH is a must in my experience. Big time. You also reduce your LBS on your rear axle, which keeps you within specs.
with my family of 6, when fully loaded, I seriously doubt my rear axle weight in lbs would not exceed Nissan's ratings IF I WERE TO NOT HAVE WDH.
Those ratings are hard to measure correctly: better safe than sorry. Handling in curves is improved, and in emergency situations, I would NOT want to have to do a sudden move w/o a wdh... I do use a wdh. Trailer is 4k, PF 2017, 4WD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts