Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking at the specs for 2022 Pathfinder-it says maximum of 6,000 pounds towing-but if you build one it says a "class 3 hitch", and a maximum tongue weight of 500 pounds. Since tongue weight is 12% to 15% of total trailer weight-its seems the max towing number-many NOT BE the right number.

And then you have to adjust your trailer brake controller with an app. The thing is sometimes-depending on conditions, you may have to adjust your settings "on the fly". How do you do this on a cellphone when you are driving?

I am looking for a backup vehicle to tow my 5000 pound ready to camp travel trailer-and if I understand things correctly-due to tongue weight it couldn't tow that either.

And it also specs a flat pin connector-those are only used for the lightest weight trailers. (Popups, U-Hauls, etc.)

Either I am misinformed (on the specs) or the engineers don't understand towing.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We tow a 4200# dry, camping ready Lance 1685 with our 2020 front wheel drive Platinum using a WDH and a brake controller paired with the trailer brakes via Bluetooth. I feel that our “6000” towing capacity is more or less near its upper limit. In other words, Nissan is optimistic with its advertising. I would not try towing anything heavier than what we have now. The typical tongue weight for us is a few pounds over 400, and the car sags quite a bit even with air bag helpers. We bought the car before we got the trailer, moving (up? down?) from our hybrid Highlander and a 16’ Casita, a great combination that we used over many thousands of miles until 2 footitis took hold as the Highlander closed in on 200,000 miles. The result of our decision-making to pair the PF with a 4,000# camper is that I tow with the feeling that I’m near to redlining, no matter what the dials, manuals and advertising say that I should be able to do. One final note is that to date I have not towed the Lance in a mountainous area, only in peninsular Florida.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So looking at the specs for 2022 Pathfinder-it says maximum of 6,000 pounds towing-but if you build one it says a "class 3 hitch", and a maximum tongue weight of 500 pounds. Since tongue weight is 12% to 15% of total trailer weight-its seems the max towing number-many NOT BE the right number.

And then you have to adjust your trailer brake controller with an app. The thing is sometimes-depending on conditions, you may have to adjust your settings "on the fly". How do you do this on a cellphone when you are driving?

I am looking for a backup vehicle to tow my 5000 pound ready to camp travel trailer-and if I understand things correctly-due to tongue weight it couldn't tow that either.

And it also specs a flat pin connector-those are only used for the lightest weight trailers. (Popups, U-Hauls, etc.)

Either I am misinformed (on the specs) or the engineers don't understand towing.

Any thoughts?
You sound like you understand. I assure you the engineers understand. Marketing controls all and anything that sells is good.

My 4300 pound trailer has 550 pounds tongue weight with empty water tanks and 750 pounds with tanks full.

I keep an eye on the hitch mounting bolts and look for deformation of mounting surfaces. So far no signs of fatigue or failure.

I wounder if there is a higher capacity hitch that would fit my 2015 Pathfinder.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

·
Registered
22 Posts
We tow a 4200# dry, camping ready Lance 1685 with our 2020 front wheel drive Platinum using a WDH and a brake controller paired with the trailer brakes via Bluetooth. I feel that our “6000” towing capacity is more or less near its upper limit. In other words, Nissan is optimistic with its advertising. I would not try towing anything heavier than what we have now. The typical tongue weight for us is a few pounds over 400, and the car sags quite a bit even with air bag helpers. We bought the car before we got the trailer, moving (up? down?) from our hybrid Highlander and a 16’ Casita, a great combination that we used over many thousands of miles until 2 footitis took hold as the Highlander closed in on 200,000 miles. The result of our decision-making to pair the PF with a 4,000# camper is that I tow with the feeling that I’m near to redlining, no matter what the dials, manuals and advertising say that I should be able to do. One final note is that to date I have not towed the Lance in a mountainous area, only in peninsular Florida.
Answered my own question:

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 22 towing guide isn’t available yet online.
But it’s obvious that seven pin connector plus brake controller are must haves.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,718 Posts
You are correct. A 5000 lb. trailer would be too heavy for the Pathfinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts