Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Pathfinder Rock Creek edition. SL 4-Wheel drive with the tow package.
My Question is the tow package button on the dashboard what does that actually do?
Does it Work the transmission or work the suspension while towing?
Thanks for your time I appreciate it. BILL

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,522 Posts
Basically it keeps the engine at higher rpms than usual ensuring there is more torque available to tow the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,398 Posts
It also acts to slow the vehicle + trailer in downhill descents so you don't have to rely on (and put wear on) the brakes so much. It's like downshifting a manual transmission when you're going down a hill on a snow-covered road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Jay appreciate your time.
Great site for info
Hi Bill! I have the exact same vehicle and just purchased an 18RB Forest River Vibe.....21 feet and just under 4600 dry weight. How heavy are you towing? Im a newbie and totally nervous......trying to keep my weight down. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bill! I have the exact same vehicle and just purchased an 18RB Forest River Vibe.....21 feet and just under 4600 dry weight. How heavy are you towing? Im a newbie and totally nervous......trying to keep my weight down. Any advice is appreciated!
The PF is totally the wrong vehical for your particular trailer. It has insufficient brake pads, no front sway bars, and insufficient hitch capacity to survive the huge weight/force when your trailer goes over a bump or pot hole. As your reciever starts to crack at the receiver and frame weld joints... your clock is ticking for the reciever to break off. Mine cracked and the trailer tongue dropped to the road.
Your reciever should have a toungue weight capacity of 900lbs or more for your trailer. 10% of 5000lb trailer is 500lbs. Thats the weight you need for your trailer on the hitch ball. Now consider an avg road pot hole that causes the tongue to compress all that weight on the ball. It will go over 700lbs easy.:oops:. Think safety not economy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your reciever should have a toungue weight capacity of 900lbs or more for your trailer. 10% of 5000lb trailer is 500lbs. Thats the weight you need for your trailer on the hitch ball. Now consider an avg road pot hole that causes the tongue to compress all that weight on the ball. It will go over 700lbs easy.:oops:. Think safety not economy.
No, just no.
The rated capacity of the receiver is the static weight. The weight that you see on the ball when the vehicle is parked. There is absolutely no way for manufacturers to specify an active weight limit. Driving conditions are going to change that drastically.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It also acts to slow the vehicle + trailer in downhill descents so you don't have to rely on (and put wear on) the brakes so much. It's like downshifting a manual transmission when you're going down a hill on a snow-covered road.
Jay, I have heard this before but I have switch on tow mode without a trailer going down a hill and didn't notice any slowdown. Shouldn't I be able to notice this with or without a trailer?

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,398 Posts
Jay, I have heard this before but I have switch on tow mode without a trailer going down a hill and didn't notice any slowdown. Shouldn't I be able to notice this with or without a trailer?
It depends on your speed and perhaps the angle of grade. I have noticed times when I was descending a hill with the trailer and no discernable change in RPM was noticed. I think if the vehicle detects that it is being "pushed" downhill, and speed is increasing, Tow Mode will activate.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
True, I've played with this on my 2019 as well and couldn't detect anything different with tow mode on or off, but I'm never able to drive the PF long term and aren't even able to tow with it.

I know on my Ram 1500 pickups, if you enable tow mode, you definitely hear and feel it with the difference in shifting up and down.

OT, but several times my bride accidentally turned on the hill descent button by the 4x4 knob on the PF and questioned me why "that light is on".

·
Registered
277 Posts
OT, but several times my bride accidentally turned on the hill descent button by the 4x4 knob on the PF and questioned me why "that light is on".
My hill decent only works in 4WD Lock. The light blinks in 4WD mode but stays on solid in Lock mode. I wish I could change the speed as it goes very slow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tow mode showed zero support for engine braking during downhill driving with my trailer. OD off does the trick and works well.

I do wonder if having the tow package from the factory, or not, makes a difference in transmission programming. You would think not, since the tow button is there and activates on all models. But mine seems to do nothing, and it was not a originally a tow package vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts