Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Tow Hitch -- Dealer Installed Receiver, Harness and Finisher

11K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  MikeZ 
#1 ·
Has anyone had their dealer install a tow hitch, wiring harness, and finisher on their 2022 pathfinder?

Did they install a Nissan part receiver or one from a 3rd party? Dealer is telling me Nissan receiver is backordered with no estimate date.

Thanks

#5 ·
Oh this is news. I knew the S level was only capable of 3500 because it did not have the tranny cooler but I thought the rest of the trims are listed at 6000 even if you install your own hitch.

#8 ·
Does look good, congrats! I noticed the harness is 4 pin though, vs 7 pin that comes with the factory installed option. Did a quick internet search and seems the bumper finisher for previous model Pathfinders were 7 pin as well. Very interesting that yours is 4 pin. Did you specifically request that? Or you know if Nissan just made this change to a different harness?

#14 ·
#15 ·
The PF comes with the 7 pin wiring and oil cooler on the Platinum trim or Premium package, but the dealer add on accessory is only 4 pin and no cooler. I bet they don't want people towing 4000+ pounds without the oil cooler and the needed additional electrical connections.

#23 ·
Just purchased a 2022 PF Platinum. Dealer installed the hitch with 4 pin harness which does us no good towing our travel trailer with 4300 dry weight. They originally told us the hitch would come with a 7 pin harness. Now they tell us Nissan doesn’t install 7 pin and they are trying to find an after market installation for us. Looks like no one will touch it. We’ve called around too. Any ideas?

#24 · (Edited)
If you didn't have factory installed tow hitch, means your max tow capacity is only 3,000 lb. You don't have additional transmission cooling required to achieve 6,000 lb towing capability, and 7-pin harness will not do you any good anyways.
Dealer who sold you this vehicle should've told you when you bought it.

However, I've never heard that 2022 PF Platinum would come from factory without tow hitch and 7-pin harness, something not right here. Did Nissan change options/specs for 2022 builds?

#27 ·
Just purchased a used SL today and scheduling dealer install of tow assembly, BUT I’m seeing here only 3500 lbs?! On a car I just bought today, reading on EVERY Nissan page, and by multiple dealers, that capacity was 6000?!!!! I’m panicking. Why list as 6000, if the vehicles aren’t actually equipped for it?!

#28 ·
Let's start with what you actually bought. Is it 2022 Pathfinder? Is it SL with Premium Package or without?
When dealer advertises 6,000 lb, they always put "*" next to it, and on the bottom says something like this : "Towing capability varies by configuration. See Nissan Towing Guide and Owner's Manual for additional information."

#30 ·
Only Primum package in SL will give 6,000lb towing capacity, otherwise you have only 3,500lb. This is from Nissan specs page for Premium package details:

[P02] SL Premium Package
$2,900

Starting MSRP
  • 2nd row captain chairs and removable center console
  • Bose Premium Audio System
  • 13 speakers w/dual driver subwoofer
  • Wheels: 20" Alloy
  • Panoramic Moonroof
  • Heated Rear Seats
  • Tires: 255/50R20 All-Season
  • Tow Hitch Receiver & Harness
  • 6,000 lbs max towing capacity
  • Wireless Charging Pad

Additional transmission cooling is required for 6,000lb, and its only part of Premium package.

#42 ·
HI!
I read on the infiniti forum that the sensor of the motion activated rear liftgate can interfere with the installation of a towing device. Do you have this sensor on your Pathfiner? Does this prevent you from installing a towing device?
There are some posts on this forum where folks did do a DIY install of a hitch with the motion activated liftgate but they were on the R52. IIR, there is a wire running along the bottom of the bumper and you have to be careful not to cut that but I have a 2017 SV without the motion sensor so I am not the expert. The R53 may be different. Also know that the R53 doesn't have the transmission cooler installed unless you get the tow package from the factory. This will limit you to 3500 tow capacity.