Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Check the markings on the bolt's head, the one from eBay is not common. You definitely want to replace the bolts, there is most likely some rust on those threads already and the last thing you want is one of them snapping when you hit a pothole at high speed. Those should be grade 5 or 8.
I believe you are the first person to lift a PF and to replace these bushings (by yourself) so I doubt anyone here can help you out in this process. You have your suspension and drive train components working at different angles than what they were designed for so the noises you are experiencing could come from any of these parts. If I were you I'd spend more time trying to identify the source before spending more money, I believe the steering rack didn't really need replacing, right?
Yes it did not need replacing...but the bushings did...

·
Registered
298 Posts

I did this all by my self. Don't worry there are two 2ton Jack stands and 8 layers of concrete blocks it's sitting on, it's safe. Plus the Ebrake.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The black goo is a poor man's mod. I used 3M window weld to fill in the gaps in the bushings and mounts. The new bushings will get filled too when they come in tomorrow this looks like a lot of work but when you have disassembled your Pathfinder as much as I have, you learn your way around the engine bay. With the right tools and organization this job is not that bad, especially when Nissan wants to rape your wallet. Still an eighth of a cost cheaper than a subframe with good bushings off eBay.
All four bushings (Febest) $131.00
Size 36 socket $21 ( I used a 35, bit I grabbed the wrong one both sizes will work)
Arsenal of hammers (I used my sledge hammer)
Lithium grease ~$8
Window weld 3M $29
Heavy duty caulk gun $16
Ibuprofen 800mg ( I'm a disabled veteran, this **** is exhausting) lol
Be sure to shave the rubber around the edge of bottom side of the old bushing you will be hammering, it will keep the socket steadier when hammering unless your aim sucks.
Also to note window weld will stick to anything and everything clean or dirty it is messy and does not wash off easily...wear gloves
You don't have to fill your gaps with urethane I just did to help solidify the chassis more.

CAUTION!!!
YOU MUST SUPPORT THE TRANSMISSION SIDE SOMEHOW!
I USED MULTIPLE JACKS AND SWITCHED THEM OUT AS I TRAVERSED THE SUBFRAME AROUND THE EXHAUST AND OUT FROM UNDER THE VEHICLE. THIS PUT A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF WEIGHT ON THE UPPER MOUNTS ON THE RIGHT SIDE. THE APPROPRIATE TOOL WOULD BE TO USE AN ENGINE HOIST OR A CHAIN SECURED TO A LARGE TREE, IDK GET CREATIVE BUT THE TRANSMISSION HAS TO HAVE SUPPORT THE ENTIRE TIME THE SUBFRAME IS UNBOLTED.
CAUTION!!!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
961 Posts
Thanks for taking time to post the pics!

That job is way above my old dude DIY abilities.

That's an incredible amount of work for a relatively young vehicle.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for taking time to post the pics!

That job is way above my old dude DIY abilities.

That's an incredible amount of work for a relatively young vehicle.
I stopped working out years ago...but I had to have help lifting it up under the car to get the frame bolts threaded.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The new bushings are in I left the front ones alone and filled them, they were pretty solid. The rear ones I used a 4WD tool for Fords and beat them in with a sledge I did one with lithium grease and without. The lube helped immensely, less hits with the hammer.

Final verdict:

The ride seems smoother now but the stress on my suspension from the lift is not healthy for those rear bushings near the control arms. I will have to find some way of doing a subframe drop in the front to bring the suspension angles closer to stock. This does not lower the car it will remain lifted but the subframe will hang lower. The rattle I hear is STILL there...will have to look at the mounts and inspect them very closely now. As for the popping noise...it's still there too...but the bushings were definitely an issue. I will have to look closely at the suspension to see where this noise is coming from, did not put red thread locker on subframe bolts so I will try that another day. But the part numbers were spot on and the replacement of those bushings is indeed cost saving. There is no need for a new subframe...that has been proven false replacing the bushings is possible I have done it. I am done with this thread. I hope this saves a lot of money for other R52 owners in my situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow - what a coincidence...

I have the same year 2014 SV model (4WD) with about the same mileage. I bought it used in April last year - and it came from the east coast.

I live in Arizona

I took mine into the dealer on 12/28 and they told me the same thing!
Bushings were worn out
Subframe needed to be replaced
Approximately $4200 in repairs

Thankfully I had bought an aftermarket warranty that is covering all the parts and labor. It is still in the shop since 12/28 and I should be picking it up hopefully today. The warranty company is also covering the rental car they gave me - for nearly 2 weeks... Just this one fix alone made buying the extended warranty worth it...!
Where in AZ are you or what dealership did you take it to and who was the warranty company if you don't mind me asking?
I'm going through exact same thing right now and was told it was covered but then a few hours later was told that it was considered a structural part of the frame which deems it a non covered component.

I need some answers and quick PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm going through exact same thing right now and was told it was covered but then a few hours later was told that it was considered a structural part of the frame which deems it a non covered component.

I need some answers and quick PLEASE HELP!
Unbelievable.. Was this an aftermarket extended warranty purchased through a Nissan dealer? I would try to deal with a service manager or any management if this is a dealer. There's got to be some way they can massage the wording to get this though. If you haven't used the warranty, is it one that you can get a retroactive amount of money back if you want to cancel it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to Febest Auto Parts - OEM Quality Parts for all Makes and Models looks like those bushings doesnt seem to fit Pathfinder, did they work for you?

NAB-328 Front 2 Bushings for front subframe (Near bullbar mounts on front subframe) 54400-JA00A — SUBFRAME FRONT BUSHING - Febest #NAB-328 - One Year Warranty‏
NAB-329 Rear 2 Bushings for front subframe (Near lower control arms in front suspension) 54400-JC20A — SUBFRAME REAR BUSHING - Febest #NAB-329 - One Year Warranty‏

I have ordered parts, gonna need a lotta lithium grease and rubber mallet pounding, I have used presses before and failed horribly but using a long bolt and the fact they are held in place when put between the frame they should just bang right in there without fully dropping the entire frame, at least for the ones I inspected. The rubber center was spinning around while tightening they are doneskies and I will confidently say that is what is making my clunk noise and vibrations while driving. Never inspected the front ones but...I will replace them all at the same time so I can get the process right for anyone who believes it is [email protected]#% that $4500 for a new sub frame is the solution (yeah you Nissan). View attachment 15225 View attachment 15226
The rubber nipples should be higher and you can clearly see the torn rubber they almost spin in a circle, not enough material to dampen anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unbelievable.. Was this an aftermarket extended warranty purchased through a Nissan dealer? I would try to deal with a service manager or any management if this is a dealer. There's got to be some way they can massage the wording to get this though. If you haven't used the warranty, is it one that you can get a retroactive amount of money back if you want to cancel it?
So I took it to Avondale Nissan. This is a 2014 Nissan Maxima btw with an extended warranty from I believe it's called horizon, which in the last 4 years I've owned this car it's had several engine mounts replaced, control arms, tie rod, sway bars, the list goes on. In just the last few months I took it in because it was leaking power steering fluid and I was told it was the rack and pinion. Well 5 weeks later I hear whining coming from power steering again after rack and pinion were replaced so I take it back and they tell me the same thing, rack and pinion again. Hmm that's weird, ok. While it's there being repairs yet again I'm notified that the tech discovered my bushings were worn/torn which they attempted to go through extended warranty but was ultimately denied like I mentioned in my initial post. I ended up declining the repair because I honestly hadn't noticed any issues so said I'd deal with it later. When I picked up my car and drove out of the parking lot there was suddenly and incredibly loud rattling sound which I also felt in the floorboard at my feet. It felt like the front end was going to fall right out. I went back into dealership and came unglued which then the service manager was called and I came unglued to him too. It absolutely did not sound like that or anything even close to it when I dropped it off for the power steering issue so why the crap did it sound like that now! They swore up and down it was because of the bushings but seems like I would've noticed a slight sound/feel before if that were the case. I raised hell and they still swore "that's what happens with these things" and was told it would cost me $2100 out of pocket.....oh but suddenly Nissan agreed to pickup half the tab. Hmm that's strange, why would Nissan agree to pay half if they weren't at fault for anything here? In my opinion I feel like a tech screwed something up during that second rack and pinion repair and this was their attempt at covering it up. I get my car back and there's still a slight rattle that's annoying so I take it back yet again. This time I'm told that my steering was binding due to an internal failure of rack. Of course yet again, rack and pinion to be replaced! What the crap? Get it back AGAIN and of course problem still exists. This time I'm told they found both sway bars links to be separated so now those got replaced. I pick it again and what do you know I still freaking hear/feel it but am told they don't and can't help me. The bigger question is what the crap did I shell out over $1k for if that didn't solve the issue and they have since found multiple other things they said were the issue & another question is why did they not discover all of those other issues initially instead of each time I took it back it was something different. And why on earth so many **** rack and pinion issues. Now I'm "just a female" but would like to think I know a little about vehicles and I've said since day one of this noise/feeling and described it as if ball joints were worn, that is what I'm feeling/hearing. Only initially when I said it felt like front end was going to fall out it was much louder/harder then.
Now I'm pretty much told that since my extended warranty is about up in roughly 5k miles and will likely call it capped at the amount of repairs that's been done that I'm pretty much SOL.
NONE OF THIS SEEMS RIGHT!
I don't feel I should've had to pay that amount if it didn't fix the issue but I don't have a solid argument to throw back at Nissan nor the direct knowledge of any of this really to back up my accusations neither. Maybe someone who is skilled can give me some insight or even just confirm who sounds more right me or dealership?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
So I took it to Avondale Nissan. This is a 2014 Nissan Maxima btw with an extended warranty from I believe it's called horizon, which in the last 4 years I've owned this car it's had several engine mounts replaced, control arms, tie rod, sway bars, the list goes on. In just the last few months I took it in because it was leaking power steering fluid and I was told it was the rack and pinion. Well 5 weeks later I hear whining coming from power steering again after rack and pinion were replaced so I take it back and they tell me the same thing, rack and pinion again. Hmm that's weird, ok. While it's there being repairs yet again I'm notified that the tech discovered my bushings were worn/torn which they attempted to go through extended warranty but was ultimately denied like I mentioned in my initial post. I ended up declining the repair because I honestly hadn't noticed any issues so said I'd deal with it later. When I picked up my car and drove out of the parking lot there was suddenly and incredibly loud rattling sound which I also felt in the floorboard at my feet. It felt like the front end was going to fall right out. I went back into dealership and came unglued which then the service manager was called and I came unglued to him too. It absolutely did not sound like that or anything even close to it when I dropped it off for the power steering issue so why the crap did it sound like that now! They swore up and down it was because of the bushings but seems like I would've noticed a slight sound/feel before if that were the case. I raised hell and they still swore "that's what happens with these things" and was told it would cost me $2100 out of pocket.....oh but suddenly Nissan agreed to pickup half the tab. Hmm that's strange, why would Nissan agree to pay half if they weren't at fault for anything here? In my opinion I feel like a tech screwed something up during that second rack and pinion repair and this was their attempt at covering it up. I get my car back and there's still a slight rattle that's annoying so I take it back yet again. This time I'm told that my steering was binding due to an internal failure of rack. Of course yet again, rack and pinion to be replaced! What the crap? Get it back AGAIN and of course problem still exists. This time I'm told they found both sway bars links to be separated so now those got replaced. I pick it again and what do you know I still freaking hear/feel it but am told they don't and can't help me. The bigger question is what the crap did I shell out over $1k for if that didn't solve the issue and they have since found multiple other things they said were the issue & another question is why did they not discover all of those other issues initially instead of each time I took it back it was something different. And why on earth so many **** rack and pinion issues. Now I'm "just a female" but would like to think I know a little about vehicles and I've said since day one of this noise/feeling and described it as if ball joints were worn, that is what I'm feeling/hearing. Only initially when I said it felt like front end was going to fall out it was much louder/harder then.
Now I'm pretty much told that since my extended warranty is about up in roughly 5k miles and will likely call it capped at the amount of repairs that's been done that I'm pretty much SOL.
NONE OF THIS SEEMS RIGHT!
I don't feel I should've had to pay that amount if it didn't fix the issue but I don't have a solid argument to throw back at Nissan nor the direct knowledge of any of this really to back up my accusations neither. Maybe someone who is skilled can give me some insight or even just confirm who sounds more right me or dealership?
Thanks
This exactly why I hate dealerships. Happens to everyone regardless of gender. Some (not all) dealers/shops do not invest enough time diagnosing an issue and start replacing parts to see it they get it. They will ask to replace any part that shows some wear but might still be good for a year or more and they blame that if the other parts they replaced didn't fix it. I just don't trust them. Some lucky people have found great dealers, not my case.
Ask friends and family to recommend a particular shop/mechanic, I found one and have a great business relationship with them.

·
Registered
961 Posts
So I took it to Avondale Nissan......
That is awful and my head hurts.

The subframe likely had to be removed from the vehicle to get the steering rack out. The bolts that hold the subframe to the vehicle body run through the torn bushings, so they probably tore the rest of the way upon removal. I still think the clunking was more from everything else you list though and why they didn't discover this is disturbing, but often they're just trying to fix what the original repair was given that's the job that's paying them.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts