Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous 3 Nissan's had TPMS that did not show live tire pressure, so rotation wasn't a problem. How would this work on my 2013 Pathfinder SV AWD? Does each tire have a sensor that is assign a specific corner(front left, right and rear left, right)? Anyone have done rotation already? Please shear.
Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My previous 3 Nissan's had TPMS that did not show live tire pressure, so rotation wasn't a problem. How would this work on my 2013 Pathfinder SV AWD? Does each tire have a sensor that is assign a specific corner(front left, right and rear left, right)? Anyone have done rotation already? Please shear.
Thanks. :confused:
Shouldn't be a problem, same setup as my Murano, just have it rotated properly.
I usually do an X-pattern rotation (AWD)

Cheers...

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
Just curious. How often or after how many miles do y'all rotate your tires? I forgot what the dealer recommended.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like to roate my tired every other oil change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just curious. How often or after how many miles do y'all rotate your tires? I forgot what the dealer recommended.
Hi Jay, I usually rotate my tires every 7 - 8k. The maximum I would go is 10k if I hadn't have the time to do it due to work. but normally every 7-8k miles.

Regards,
Ben

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'll admit I don't rotate my tires as often as I should.
But to answer your question the TPMS is the same all across. You can rotate to your hearts desire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll admit I don't rotate my tires as often as I should.
But to answer your question the TPMS is the same all across. You can rotate to your hearts desire.
I understand that the sensors will still work, my concern is would it be showing the right location?

Owners manual says 7500 miles, I like to do it at about 5000.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I may be stepping on toes or incorrect but I believe they're saying. If you rotate the left front tire, to the right rear. On the TPMS when it says you have 'Front Left' low pressure will it be refering to the the tire that used to be in this location which is now in the rear, or will it know that the tires/sensors have been switch and recalibrate itself? I haven't had to deal with this as I've gotten my tires rotated at the dealer but it is a good question.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I may be stepping on toes or incorrect but I believe they're saying. If you rotate the left front tire, to the right rear. On the TPMS when it says you have 'Front Left' low pressure will it be refering to the the tire that used to be in this location which is now in the rear, or will it know that the tires/sensors have been switch and recalibrate itself? I haven't had to deal with this as I've gotten my tires rotated at the dealer but it is a good question.
good question i would like to know this too.
it would be horrible if you have to dismount the tires and swap the sensors if you want to rotate the tires. it'll cost you over $100 every time.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
good question i would like to know this too.
it would be horrible if you have to dismount the tires and swap the sensors if you want to rotate the tires. it'll cost you over $100 every time.
I'm sure the car auto-adjusts the positioning when you rotate tires. It has to sense when you add air to your tires, doesn't it?

BMWs have a procedure that you perform in the iDrive whenever you adjust tire pressure or swap out summer for winter tires, etc. I'm sure the Pathfinder TPMS has something similar going on.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm sure the car auto-adjusts the positioning when you rotate tires. It has to sense when you add air to your tires, doesn't it?
Your dealer will re-register the TPMS sensors after a tire rotation. If you are not going to a dealer, make sure the shop you are using has the necessary tool to re-register before they rotate your tires.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your dealer will re-register the TPMS sensors after a tire rotation. If you are not going to a dealer, make sure the shop you are using has the necessary tool to re-register before they rotate your tires.
So what you are saying is, we shouldn't rotate them ourselves at home? I've always done my own oil changes and tire rotations.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Definitive answer on this

WRONG!

This is what the Service Manager at my Nissan dealership just told me:

"The tpms doesn’t need to be reset. The computer knows where each tire is, because it measures the distance each is from the antenna. So it knows when the left front wheel goes to the left rear as an example."

Reactions: Bushman

·
Registered
237 Posts
WRONG!

"The tpms doesn’t need to be reset. The computer knows where each tire is, because it measures the distance each is from the antenna. So it knows when the left front wheel goes to the left rear as an example."
Thanks for the clarification. I was quoting from the service manual pages WT-58 and WT-59. The final step in the manual for tire rotation reads...

• Perform the ID registration after tire rotation.

Seems as though in this instance the manual is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
WRONG!

makes sense, i know a sensor would have that type of function, just didn't know the sensor in the pathfinder has it, as you guys know, we don't really get the best of the best in cars like this.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
makes sense, i know a sensor would have that type of function, just didn't know the sensor in the pathfinder has it, as you guys know, we don't really get the best of the best in cars like this.
However, I am impressed with the number of bells and whistles that the truck does have... individual wheel sensors, horn beep when topping off air in tires, iPod integration, satellite radio, rear camera, smart key, etc.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
I got a clarification on this. If you simply rotate your tires, no re-registration is necessary.

However, if you swap out your regular tires for dedicated snow tires on a separate set of rims like some of us are contemplating, you WILL need to have the dealer or someone register the new sensors in the computer. It's not clear to me if this is just the first time or EVERY time you swap back and forth.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Thanks for dredging up a year-old thread. Obviously, we're learned a lot since then.

Just as a note to everyone, this is a community forum, and as such, some of the information posted is conjecture, opinion and biased. Some of it is based on anecdotal experience of a particular owner. We also have auto techs as members who have provided some sound advice. As with everything, you need to take the advise given with that in mind and draw your own conclusions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts