Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 NISSAN PATHFINDER SL 4WD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4WD with 25k miles on it. This is my first Nissan, I read reviews prior to purchasing it and saw mixed reviews but see that the vast majority appear to love their newer Pathfinders, so I decided to pull the trigger. Have owned it for less than a week but love the ride, how roomy it is and the ability to tow if need be. It seems that the most common problem from what ive read to this point appears to be the CVT transmission. I'm wondering if anybody on here has any advice for a new owner on how to properly take care of the vehicle as to avoid any major repairs in the future, or just any advice or tips in general. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,253 Posts
My advice is to become a forum regular. :) Great people and advice can be found here every day!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4WD with 25k miles on it. This is my first Nissan, I read reviews prior to purchasing it and saw mixed reviews but see that the vast majority appear to love their newer Pathfinders, so I decided to pull the trigger. Have owned it for less than a week but love the ride, how roomy it is and the ability to tow if need be. It seems that the most common problem from what ive read to this point appears to be the CVT transmission. I'm wondering if anybody on here has any advice for a new owner on how to properly take care of the vehicle as to avoid any major repairs in the future, or just any advice or tips in general. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just do what the manual says. Every so many miles it tells you what to have done. Religiously following the manual I got 275,000 miles out of a 93 Pontiac Transport and everything still worked when I traded it in. If Nissan thinks that 5000. Miles on Mobile One is all it's good for, so be it!

·
Registered
2013 Nissan Pathfinder SV AWD
12 Posts
My recommendations is to use full synthetic motor oil like mobil one. Change the oil every 8000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Always let your Pathy warm up for at least 15 mins. Then just go through each gear from top to bottom so that the fluid will get through the whole trans.

·
Registered
2017 SV Nismo
107 Posts
I change my Oil every 4,500-5k miles with Mobil 1 full synthetic. That is just my choice. I do it myself so I know exactly what is going into my vehicle. K&N oil filter is a good filter for a good price. I would do a CVT drain and refill around 60k. Drive it for a week or 2 then do another one. I ordered 6 quarts. That should do me well for doing 2 drain and refills. That is my 2 cents. Let the truck walk down to an idle before throwing it reverse and taking off. Enjoy it and have fun making it your own.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
536 Posts
Even with full synthetic motor oil, I would not recommend going 8000 miles between oil changes on the 2017+ VQ35DD engine. On the 2013-2016 VQ35DE, sure.

You will find that this engine turns it's oil nasty black in as little as 2K miles. It's the nature of many direct injected engines w/ EGR, etc.

I was so disturbed with the look of the engine oil on my 2019 when I bought it used with 24K miles that I changed the oil right away even though the dealer changed it, then I did the next 2 oil changes at ~2000mi intervals. I stick with 3-4K OCIs now.

In terms of doing CVT juice spill and fills. The hardest part is getting the stupid locking cap off the charge tube up in the engine bay. I got tips on that if you're interested. The rest is easier than an engine oil change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even with full synthetic motor oil, I would not recommend going 8000 miles between oil changes on the 2017+ VQ35DD engine. On the 2013-2016 VQ35DE, sure.
What a timely thread. My 2016 is due for oil according to the dealer @ 5000 miles, and I've been somewhat leery of what I assume is 0W-20 full synthetic oil needing changed at that mileage. I have about 5300 on it, and thought I might be pushing it taking it to 5750 when I either do it or take it to them. I guess not. I think 6K or a little under should be ok assuming that it is synthetic oil.

Any problem going to back to full synthetic 0W-20 if for some reason the previous change was 5W-30 conventional? Or are all dealers pretty much using synthetic for the bundled oil changes? It was freshly changed when I got the car.

Last CVT I had the fluid changed in was an 7th Gen Maxima, and it was done at 80,000 miles per dealer. Not a single issue with it, and the fluid was clean right before because I checked it. Purolator is a good oil filter. It's still made in USA, FWIW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts