Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 PF - when I accelerate and immediately remove my foot from the gas pedal, I hear this tap or thump just under my feet. I guess that where the transmission is. Is this normal?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a 2013 PF - when I accelerate and immediately remove my foot from the gas pedal, I hear this tap or thump just under my feet. I guess that where the transmission is. Is this normal?
Could be transmission or engine mount is loose, and the powertrain is rocking back and forth. See if it does the same thing in reverse (safely).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I wouldn't say its normal. I'd get that checked out.

Does the car actually buck when it happens? Or is it only audible?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course, I took it to the dealer...all the while replicating this issue. As soon as I got to the dealer...they test drove, and couldn't replicate it. I drove and couldn't replicate it. It's gone. But it definetely was there. A light thump noise, almost is if I was running over somthing and it was bouncing off the bottom of the car. Most noticiable as I was accelerating from a stop and then immediately taking my foot off the pedal. Maybe a bit worse on an incline. Well its gone now...so maybe had something to do with the ABS brakes adjusting...but that should only happen once. I have only 750 miles on my car. Love it

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
sometime suggesting they keep the vehicle for a few days to replicate the issue works. i did it in the past, but not all dealers will do this for you

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Of course, I took it to the dealer...all the while replicating this issue. As soon as I got to the dealer...they test drove, and couldn't replicate it. I drove and couldn't replicate it. It's gone. But it definetely was there. A light thump noise, almost is if I was running over somthing and it was bouncing off the bottom of the car. Most noticiable as I was accelerating from a stop and then immediately taking my foot off the pedal. Maybe a bit worse on an incline. Well its gone now...so maybe had something to do with the ABS brakes adjusting...but that should only happen once. I have only 750 miles on my car. Love it
at least its gone now. hopefully it doesn't come back and if it does you still have your warranty :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
While the noise was present, did you look for anything hung up under the vehicle? We get sage brush here and at times it's hard to avoid and then shake it loose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the exact same issue on my 2015 pathfinder. I can reproduce it every time. Best way to do it is to switch to D, start driving and when reaching about 3000 rpm remove foot from gas. It is definitely more pronounced on the incline.

I noticed it few times in the past but it sounded like I ran over a can or something else on the ground and it hit the undercarriage. This weekend I discovered the exact circumstances that can trigger the issue.

I though it might be the drive shaft or something with the tranny.

Did anyone else experience it too? Has the issue come back for the gentleman that reported it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm, wonder if its the fuel in the fuel tank sloshing back and forth. I was surprised to learn the tank is narrow and long running from the rear to under the driver seat.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have noticed this a couple of times on our 2013. When it starts it is consistent and easy to replicate, usually lasting several days before going away on its own. Seems to be weather-related.

No guarantee this is the root cause, but I can duplicate the sound and feel of the thump by sliding under the vehicle and pulling down on the edge of the plastic pan directly under the driver's footwell. There is some sort of tacky adhesive or padding material where the plastic pan presses against the metal frame. The thud happens when the tacky material separates from the metal.

Placing a piece of masking tape between these two parts seemed to stop the thumping, but does not explain what is causing the flexing or shifting that presses them together and then pulls them apart. Hopefully not a sign of more serious issues down the road!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,576 Posts
I have noticed this a couple of times on our 2013. When it starts it is consistent and easy to replicate, usually lasting several days before going away on its own. Seems to be weather-related.

No guarantee this is the root cause, but I can duplicate the sound and feel of the thump by sliding under the vehicle and pulling down on the edge of the plastic pan directly under the driver's footwell. There is some sort of tacky adhesive or padding material where the plastic pan presses against the metal frame. The thud happens when the tacky material separates from the metal.

Placing a piece of masking tape between these two parts seemed to stop the thumping, but does not explain what is causing the flexing or shifting that presses them together and then pulls them apart. Hopefully not a sign of more serious issues down the road!
It would be great if you could post a pic of the area you've identified.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone come up with a cause for the noise? Our 2015 Pathfinder is having the same issue. It started about a week ago. From a stop to about 3000 RPM, as soon as you let off you can hear and feel the clunk under the drivers floor and its eadily replicated. It sounds like a Coke can is hitting the floor.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Possibly software. The constant thunking has been replaced by only the occasional thunk. Two years left on power train, then she's GONE!! (With extreme prejudice). Darn shame, too; otherwise (well forget the floppy hoo, lousy sat reception etc.) a great vehicle. I WILL buy another Nissan - as soon as thy put a regular 8 speeed auto in it. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you put it up on a rack to take a look, might be something loose or might be with the CVT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts