Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear some real-world reviews from people who have actually used the 3rd row seat. I sat back there today and my knees were up close to my chest, leg and foot room was ok if you adjusted the 2nd row forward.

Did anyone compare this 3rd row to the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, CX9, Traverse, Explorer, Durango? How do they compare?

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally haven't used the 3rd row, but I have had family members who have. They didn't complain, but I think they may have been being nice since it was our new vehicle.

I did compare the Pathfinder with every vehicle you listed, with the exception of the Pilot. Most, if not all, were pretty similiar. For me what set the Pathfinder apart was the access to that 3rd row. My children are 4 and 2, still in carseats. For most of those listed, the access to the 3rd row was impossible with the car seats in.

The Pathfinders suit me fine, I don't honestly see many adults spending time back there. Kind of a emergency only thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks.

My kids are 5 and 2 by the way, and I have in-laws that I'd like to bring with us for occaisional outings, and of course in the next few years envision doing more car-pool runs for school and sports, so more small bodies to shuttle around basically.

Honestly I think the only real competitors in terms of the 3rd row are the larger Traverse and Acadia, which I don't want for many reasons, and that leaves the Pilot as the big competitor. The 2nd row isn't as versitile for entry to the 3rd row, but I've heard the 3rd row is quite useable, but I have yet to sit in it myself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I never rode or tested any of those cars. But I do know the Mdx well and the pathfinder thrid row seats are way better. That are sit slightly higher up and more head room. The seat wide is better too. It seats two adults fine (I am 6' and 200lbs) with the 2nd row moved up. So, I say the owner will have to mix and match people of different height and weight to get the perfect balance. You can not seat 3 back to back to back 6 footers as it will be way too cramp. I would put a 6 footer follow by a 5'5" follow by a 5'10" and that would be fine.

So, if your family of 7 who are all 6'+, DO NOT GET the pathfinder and expect to be a comfy seating for all of you. Get the XLT versions of SUVs or a Mini van for that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hav 3 kids. 7, 4, and infant. The 3rd row worked out great for my 7 year old. She loves LOVES the 3rd row. Plus it reclines. She just wished the entertainment unit was available for the back too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 8 and 4 year old. They actually prefer the 3rd row over the middle row. They love having their own little area in back, away from mom and dad, lol. It actually suits them better, too, because the one time I made them go in the 2nd row, there were boot marks all over the seat because the seat is bigger than they are. In the 3rd row, the seats are lower to the ground, so they can reach the floor. I have to climb in to buckle them in each time, and it is super easy for me to get back there, there is plenty of room for me to be back there helping them get situated.

We love the 3rd row!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hav 3 kids. 7, 4, and infant. The 3rd row worked out great for my 7 year old. She loves LOVES the 3rd row. Plus it reclines. She just wished the entertainment unit was available for the back too.
I am planning to get a iPad bracket to easily mount an iPad back on the 3rd row. That may be an option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am planning to get a iPad bracket to easily mount an iPad back on the 3rd row. That may be an option.
That's what I did. Works great.

As for third row room - the other two vehicles we considered were the Highlander and the Subaru Tribeca. The Tribeca's third row is pretty much a joke. Nobody over 2 or 3 years old could sit comfortably back there. The Toyota had a little more room, but not much.

I am about 5'9 and weigh more than I care to admit. I can sit in the third row somewhat comfortably. I wouldn't want to take a 4 hour trip back there, but for a ride across town it's fine.

I have a 14 year old and a 11 year old. They have both ridden in the third row with no complaints (which is saying something for kids of that age).

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I traded a 2010 Pilot on a 2013 Pathfinder, so I'm probably pretty well equipped to compare the two.

The Pilot's third row sits up higher and is most certainly wider. In a pinch, you could seat three children (or very small adults) abreast. It's more appropriate for two. Legroom is about the same. Like in the Pathfinder, you'll have to adjust the 2nd row toward the front in order to get more legroom in the back. But you can get 4 average size people in the 2nd and third rows comfortably.

The Pilot has the advantage in the third row mostly due to the fact that the bench is significantly higher off the floor. I can sit in the third row of either vehicle comfortably at 6'1, 250lbs. The key difference is that I could probably do so for longer stints in the Pilot, where my knees would be at a more normal seated position.

We don't use the third row all that often, so this was not a big point of consideration. Our mindset was that it's nice to have in the event we wanted to go somewhere with my in-laws/parents (where we would move the kids to the third row). If we needed to use the third row more often, we probably would have purchased another Pilot.

If you have a bigger family, and/or envision taking lots of long trips with 5+ people along, just about any minivan would be a better choice than any of the 3 row crossovers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts