Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 S trim. Upon start up (always), it releases thick white smoke. Took it to the dealer and they told me that the cause was because of oil sludge. Would that really be the cause?

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Please complete your profile with your model, trim and location.

White smoke is usually produced from burnt coolant, a bad head gasket allowing coolant to leak into a cylinder. Check your oil to see if it looks like a milkshake, is it does, stop using the vehicle.

Oil will produce blue smoke, not white.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 pathfinder having the same issues as the person above. When I went to get my oil change they told me the same thing. They also mentioned that I just needed a oil change and it would stop . Two weeks later it’s still smoking it did stop for a day or two but now it’s smoking again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the smoke only appears on start up, it is very likely you have worn valve stem seals and/or clogged up pcv valve. I posted this on another thread.

My experience: For a quick fix while you decide on the next line of action, try the AT-205 ATP Re-Seal Leak Stopper. You can drain what oil is remaining in the engine and put fresh oil in... you can go the cheap route with conventional oil without changing filter (since you just put a new one on). Fill oil just below the max line on the dipstick and pour about half a bottle of the AT-205 in the crankcase. Drive around for about an hour - preferably on a highway. That should help rejuvenate the worn valve stem seals and possibly the piston rings. Once you notice the smoke show has ended (mine was instant), you can drain oil and fill with high mileage synth oil. I used Valvoline High Mileage Synth. That should buy you some time. I done this on 2 cars and it worked for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 pathfinder having the same issues as the person above. When I went to get my oil change they told me the same thing. They also mentioned that I just needed a oil change and it would stop . Two weeks later it’s still smoking it did stop for a day or two but now it’s smoking again.
can you told me how you fix it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here except my 2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL is blowing smoke on turns and hard breaking it’s terrible I replaced the coil pack and continue to use synthetic oil I’m just done with this nonsense

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,239 Posts
Same here except my 2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL is blowing smoke on turns and hard breaking it’s terrible I replaced the coil pack and continue to use synthetic oil I’m just done with this nonsense
Only on turns and hard braking? This doesn't make any sense. The only thing I can think of is oil pooling in the upper intake and getting drawn into the cylinders with the G-force of the turns or braking. I'd suspect a PCV system problem here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem in my 2019 when I turn and hard brake lots and lots of white smoke. Got the oil changed on a Monday by Wednesday it was smoking took it back up there they checked it out and changed the filter and said they filled too much so they fixed it. Still smoked so we took to Nissan they said there was sludge and you can drive til it burns it up and the smoking will stop. Or to do an engine flush. Got my car back for 3 hours and the engine light went on it was stuttering and engulfed in smoked took it back in to Nissan same day got the engine flush and it’s STILL smoking the next day I brought home and they say that it’s still sludge and it can burn off. It happens like I said when I turn and brake too hard or go a little too fast from stopping like I have to ease so slow to get up to speed. It’s extremely annoying and I’m done with this too.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Same problem in my 2019 when I turn and hard brake lots and lots of white smoke. Got the oil changed on a Monday by Wednesday it was smoking took it back up there they checked it out and changed the filter and said they filled too much so they fixed it. Still smoked so we took to Nissan they said there was sludge and you can drive til it burns it up and the smoking will stop. Or to do an engine flush. Got my car back for 3 hours and the engine light went on it was stuttering and engulfed in smoked took it back in to Nissan same day got the engine flush and it’s STILL smoking the next day I brought home and they say that it’s still sludge and it can burn off. It happens like I said when I turn and brake too hard or go a little too fast from stopping like I have to ease so slow to get up to speed. It’s extremely annoying and I’m done with this too.
Just curious if you've owned your 2019 since new and what interval you change your engine oil at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found a YouTube video of a Nissan that was left in storage because it smokes on startup. he removed the back valve cover and cleaned it and worded
I took mine off last night and did find some thick oil almost like grease in some vents these covers are not just covers but I started the car last night and this morning and no smoke.I'll keep you posted if it changes

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Pics? It's a bit of work to get at, let alone remove the rear valve cover on a VQ35.

The PCV valve is on the rear cover. I wonder if it was sucking in some oil or sludge.

I figured you'd find some sludge regardless of your ~5K miles synthetic oil changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Pathfinder. Bought it used and it is sludged up bad. Smoke at start up nearly every time. Any links on how to remove the valve covers? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No but take lots of close pictures I put bolts back where I took them out from and carefully move plastics out the way plugs are different so you can't mix them take your time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same exact thing smoke when I Turn or brake it’s so embarrassing

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Same exact thing smoke when I Turn or brake it’s so embarrassing
Yours was an Enterprise ex-rental correct?

Did you ever try to pursue the issue with Enterprise? I've read of one instance of the owner of a 2017 with the same issue couldn't get his dealer or Nissan to do anything, but Enterprise stepped up and paid for an engine replacement for him.

I am convinced that all it takes is a few oil changes being stretched beyond 5000 miles is enough to start sludging these particular 2017+ engines. I don't even go to 5000 miles with my (ex-enterprise) 2019. I do my oil changes between 3-4K miles and use synthetic 5w30 as opposed to the recommended 0w20.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is a 2018 I purchased used with only 34000 miles. it smokes on on first start up in the morning . I can't believe sludge would build up that fast, but it was a lease car, so who knows . . .

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Mine is a 2018 I purchased used with only 34000 miles. it smokes on on first start up in the morning . I can't believe sludge would build up that fast, but it was a lease car, so who knows . . .
I've lost track at this point of how many 2017+ Nissan and Infinity vehicles w/ the VQ35DD engine have been reported on various automotive forums to have serious sludge build up in this 30-40K mile range. I'd guess at about a dozen I've read of online.

Like I say, even if you went a year or 10K miles between oil changes this shouldn't happen so soon. Later on, sure.

It's a combination of the direct injection and I keep having a suspicion there's something up with the PCV system on this particular engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, and thanks for letting me join the forum. I'm assuming by this time that Nissan is aware of this malady. Have they posted any service bulletins addressing this issue?*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts