Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 S trim. Upon start up (always), it releases thick white smoke. Took it to the dealer and they told me that the cause was because of oil sludge. Would that really be the cause?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,376 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Please complete your profile with your model, trim and location.

White smoke is usually produced from burnt coolant, a bad head gasket allowing coolant to leak into a cylinder. Check your oil to see if it looks like a milkshake, is it does, stop using the vehicle.

Oil will produce blue smoke, not white.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 pathfinder having the same issues as the person above. When I went to get my oil change they told me the same thing. They also mentioned that I just needed a oil change and it would stop . Two weeks later it’s still smoking it did stop for a day or two but now it’s smoking again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the smoke only appears on start up, it is very likely you have worn valve stem seals and/or clogged up pcv valve. I posted this on another thread.

My experience: For a quick fix while you decide on the next line of action, try the AT-205 ATP Re-Seal Leak Stopper. You can drain what oil is remaining in the engine and put fresh oil in... you can go the cheap route with conventional oil without changing filter (since you just put a new one on). Fill oil just below the max line on the dipstick and pour about half a bottle of the AT-205 in the crankcase. Drive around for about an hour - preferably on a highway. That should help rejuvenate the worn valve stem seals and possibly the piston rings. Once you notice the smoke show has ended (mine was instant), you can drain oil and fill with high mileage synth oil. I used Valvoline High Mileage Synth. That should buy you some time. I done this on 2 cars and it worked for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 pathfinder having the same issues as the person above. When I went to get my oil change they told me the same thing. They also mentioned that I just needed a oil change and it would stop . Two weeks later it’s still smoking it did stop for a day or two but now it’s smoking again.
can you told me how you fix it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here except my 2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL is blowing smoke on turns and hard breaking it’s terrible I replaced the coil pack and continue to use synthetic oil I’m just done with this nonsense

1 - 6 of 6 Posts