Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local service manager swears there was big corporate meeting regarding the V6 CVT (which is having problems in the Altima as well as the Pathfinder) this week (Aug 9th). No definite answer on what the next "fix" is, but rumored to be either new solenoid pack and/or CVT. I guess we can all watch for TSB 13-XXXX to be out by end of August. Parts availability will be an issue (of course). But he did confirm that the "D" version of the torque converter did not fix the problem, and vehicles are coming back into the service bays left and right.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Ugh, bad news. Mine goes in for the torque converter on Monday. If this is true, I wonder why they're still replacing them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh, bad news. Mine goes in for the torque converter on Monday. If this is true, I wonder why they're still replacing them.
I believe that not all Pathfinders have the judder. I believe that some were fixed with the recall that reprogrammed the TCM in January. I believe that for some the torque converter and TCM reprogram in July - now fixed the problem for some, and changing the CVT fixed the problem for others. But the problem is apparently is so wide spread that this could be a real problem for Nissan, on the order of the Chrysler 4 speed transmission problem 20 years ago, or the problems with the Audi 5000 over 30 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I believe that not all Pathfinders have the judder. I believe that some were fixed with the recall that reprogrammed the TCM in January. I believe that for some the torque converter and TCM reprogram in July - now fixed the problem for some, and changing the CVT fixed the problem for others. But the problem is apparently is so wide spread that this could be a real problem for Nissan, on the order of the Chrysler 4 speed transmission problem 20 years ago, or the problems with the Audi 5000 over 30 years ago.
I agree. I'm also fairly certain that while we are all using the term "judder" or "shudder" to describe the problem, we may actually be describing different problems that have similar symptoms.

For example, we have some people who can reproduce the problem on-demand. We have some people who can't reproduce it, but find that it happens frequently. We have some people for whom it rarely happens (like me - I only experience it once every few hundred miles). For some, it's just a nuisance, for others, they experience power loss.

If it was just one component that were to blame, I would think there would be more consistency to it. Honestly, I just think the entire design didn't undergo enough development testing and that we are now acting like a real world beta test - one that is going to prove quite costly for Nissan. It just sucks that we early adopters are going to have to have our nearly new vehicles ripped apart over and over again until they get all of the bugs out.

Reactions: Nelliott1241

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I'm also fairly certain that while we are all using the term "judder" or "shudder" to describe the problem, we may actually be describing different problems that have similar symptoms.

For example, we have some people who can reproduce the problem on-demand. We have some people who can't reproduce it, but find that it happens frequently. We have some people for whom it rarely happens (like me - I only experience it once every few hundred miles). For some, it's just a nuisance, for others, they experience power loss.

If it was just one component that were to blame, I would think there would be more consistency to it. Honestly, I just think the entire design didn't undergo enough development testing and that we are now acting like a real world beta test - one that is going to prove quite costly for Nissan. It just sucks that we early adopters are going to have to have our nearly new vehicles ripped apart over and over again until they get all of the bugs out.
Agreed.

The latest edition of Popular Mechanics has a review of a 2013 Platinum. They did not complain about the CVT, however, in the list of maintence items, they did note a reprogram of the TCM. It will be interesting to see what they will say in future issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I opened a case with Nissan Corp to have my leased Platinum Premium Pathfinder bought back due to shuddering and no fix available. They took 3 weeks to get me a final answer and it was NO. No explanation why it was denied as well. My vehicle only had 3000 miles on it when I opened the case and has been shuddering since purchase. It had 5 miles on it when I leased it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I opened a case with Nissan Corp to have my leased Platinum Premium Pathfinder bought back due to shuddering and no fix available. They took 3 weeks to get me a final answer and it was NO. No explanation why it was denied as well. My vehicle only had 3000 miles on it when I opened the case and has been shuddering since purchase. It had 5 miles on it when I leased it.
Google "lemon lawyer in <your state>."

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
CVT in general still seems to be at a young age. many brands over many platforms seem to have shown problems with the CVT. I've always been a bit skeptical.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't blame Nissan's poor engineering, testing and quality control on the CVT-type transmission, it has nothing to do with the problem. There have been many very problematic conventional automatic transmissions over the decades, but that doesn't mean that the conventional geared auto tranny is crap and should be abandoned, of course not. It just means that there were some specific designs that were terrible, unreliable crap. The same may be true of some current or past CVT tranny's, but there are also some very very solid, reliable CVT's such as those used in the current Murano, Rogue (although there were some hiccups in the first 08 model year, this tranny has been much better than average conventional tranny's in terms of reliablilty), Altima (prior to the latest V6 redesign, shared with the current Pathy). And the current Pathy CVT many not necessarily be a bad design, it may be a combo of bad computer control, bad torque converter design, I'm not sure anybody really knows at this time. But it's completely out to lunch inaccurate to sit back and say "see, I told you CVT tranny's are garbage".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well just to update everyone my "new" reman trans shuttered twice today. did it really bad on a left turn when backing out of parking spot to take off, then again when left red light.. needless to say frustrating is an understatement.

Yes the previous models cvt in other makes Finally got better, as i'm sure in the future this one will as well.. Just not at the my expense!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
We had the TCM update on ours and replaced the torque converter in June.... This week it started to shudder again. I just called the dealer for an appointment. Our Pathy was the first one sold by the dealership. It is almost a year old and we have had these issues the whole time. We love the car and continue to hope it works out, but in the long term resale on this thing has to headed to the crapper which I don't want to happen. We had a 2007 Acadia that had issues as well. We lived through it, but we always worried when it would fall apart.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We had the TCM update on ours and replaced the torque converter in June.... This week it started to shudder again. I just called the dealer for an appointment. Our Pathy was the first one sold by the dealership. It is almost a year old and we have had these issues the whole time. We love the car and continue to hope it works out, but in the long term resale on this thing has to headed to the crapper which I don't want to happen. We had a 2007 Acadia that had issues as well. We lived through it, but we always worried when it would fall apart.
Sounds like you are a candidate for a new transmission. I agree about the resale value. I tried to trade in my 2013 SL Premium for the same 2014 model at my same dealership, and I needed to bring $10,000 to the table. My PF that I paid $39,000 for 7 months ago is now only worth $28,000 at MY Nissan dealership. Lord only knows how much it would be worth someplace else.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
sure sounds like your one of the many getting the same transmission issue.
you will be better off if you can get your dealerships service dept on your side, teaming up with them to get Nissan to do something about this... buy-back maybe?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Followup on our service appointment yesterday.

We are getting a CVT. Our service depth has been really good. I had to drive it with the service tech and once he felt it shudder he said that's all he needed. He's submitting the claim to Nissan.

Our Pathfinder is the only one they have received back, but they have had an Altima with the same thing. He told me that theyhave had some training and meetings about this problem with Nissan. Here's what he told me.

They first approached the issue hoping a tcm flash would fix the problem. What they found was that a few of the torque converters were molded with an imperfection. This imperfection was typically noticed at slow speeds after a turn. Once the car accelerated it causes additional pressure and possible slipping of the chain causing the shudder. To fix this, the next solution was to replace the torque converters which manifested the problems. This worked for a while with ours, but eventually it came back. The shuddering had caused "grooves" in the transmission which then cased a minimal shudder in similar situations. The only was to fix this was to replace the CVT transmission. In some cases the torque converter replacement has solved the problem, but if the shuddering was sever enough it caused problems in the transmission.

The tech said this is odd since this CVT and torque converter are the same they have used for years without these issues. He said it was this manufacturing defect that has caused the problems and that's why some vehicles are fine and some are having issues.

It will be about a week till we get the new transmission. We'll see if that works. If not... Lemon might be the issue. We really like the Patty, but I don't want to worry about this long term.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Ps.. If there are spelling errors... Sorry, I'm trying to Zipp this out on my phone.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Thanks for the update and detailed info. So I guess the only way to really fix the problem is to replace the whole transmission and not just the torque converter since the other internals take on some damage due to the bad torque converter.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the update and detailed info. So I guess the only way to really fix the problem is to replace the whole transmission and not just the torque converter since the other internals take on some damage due to the bad torque converter.
That's what Nissan NA told me last week. I was told at my dealership that my new CVT is the latest model made by Nissan. Service manager told me that if a 2014 PF needed a new transmission, they would get the same one that I did.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unless they change the torque converter quick enough on the new makes I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts