Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this review of the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid onine, and the take away from it is that the Pathfinder can haul the whole family and then some, yet it drives more like a sedan than an SUV.

The Pathfinder Hybrid has a combined fuel economy of 22mpg, which isn't great, but could be a lot worse. "You will hear, and feel, the engine working when you're looking for a quick burst of speed to pass, but it's part of the trade-off for the car's great fuel economy."

The steering gets good marks, along with the minimal amount of noise permeation, even on dirt roads.

Check out the video review below, and I also left a link for the written review.

Written review: The 2014 Nissan Pathfinder: The 7-Seat Family Hauler That Thinks It's a Sedan | TFLCar.com: Automotive News, Views and ReviewsThe Fast Lane Car: Auto News, Views, and Reviews

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I went ahead and moved this thread over to the News section.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where did you see the 22mpg figure? The nissan site has been promising 26/27 for both 2WD and 4WD although these are not the final numbers.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Where did you see the 22mpg figure? The nissan site has been promising 26/27 for both 2WD and 4WD although these are not the final numbers.
If those are EPA numbers, you'll want to wait for real world numbers. I've witnessed too many times the EPA being proved wrong or real world never matching up to what they put out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah I am not disagreeing with that. Just wondering where the 22 number came from. The Hybrid is not on sale yet, and the only two test drives I was able to find on the web are limited to a few minutes each.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Yeah I am not disagreeing with that. Just wondering where the 22 number came from. The Hybrid is not on sale yet, and the only two test drives I was able to find on the web are limited to a few minutes each.
The number I saw floated around was 27 combined. If that's true, then it should be interesting to see how well it does against the Highlander Hybrid.

The 2013 Highlander Hybrid, which is competitively sized, but comes with a real, honest-to-goodness V6 comes in at 28 combined. It's rated at less HP and torque than the PF Hybrid, but there is no replacement for displacement... and I'm sure that would play out in the real world, particularly when towing.

The PF has advantages in overall size, flexibility in the third row (I'm thinking exit and entry) and better interior materials. But for my money, I'll take my cake and eat it too.... a V6 that does 28MPG city AND highway? Yes, please.... even at $45K.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The pathfinder hybrid should be quite a bit cheaper than the highlander hybrid, at least if you stay away from all the bells and whistles.
thats going to be a tough one, with how many new cars have all the new bells and whistles, it makes people so much more inclined to get them. Plus depending on what your budget like, it's tempting to get some of them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah I know it's tempting to get all the toys, but in the end you pay a lot for features you will most likely not use or can get much cheaper elsewhere. Case in point:

- I'd rather have a stand-alone nav rather than a built-in one because I can upgrade more often, get a bigger screen, take it from car to car, get real-time traffic updates w/o an extra fee, etc.
- I'd rather *not* have the huge sunroof because it takes away headroom and I never open the sunroofs in the cars I have owned that have them.
- I'd rather install my own rear-seat entertainment system (in the form of tablets) - which again I can upgrade, stream from internet, etc.

I can apply this logic to pretty much every premium feature available on the car. Combined with the already awesome appointments of the most basic version of the car, it's hard to justify spending an extra $10k for toys that will lose all their value in the first 2-3 years, regardless of the budget.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Random observation: I thought the Nissan rep in the video was somewhat nervous and not very convincing. Of course, if I had to derive my income by talking up the Pathfinder, I'd be somewhat nervous as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts