Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wifes Pathfinder had a new CVT installed. Coming home from work she hears/feels weird noise/vibration. We take it to the local Nissan dealer. They tell me it's the wheel hub and not the CVT and it'll be $525 just for the hub. Tell them It'll have to wait. I then take it to my trusted mechanic. He calls me 2 hours later and says "I found the problem with your wife's truck but it will cost you $50 for me to tell you". Don't know how the lug nuts got loose.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
816 Posts
The question I have is, was it the loose lug nuts the whole time? It's been some time since you had the CVT replaced, correct? Did the Nissan dealer charge you a diagnostic fee? Given the history you've had with them, they may have just taken it for a quick drive, heard the noise, guessed it was a bad hub and parked it. If you paid them a diagnostic fee, I'd be pissed that they didn't catch loose lug nuts, or maybe they pulled a wheel and forgot to tighten them.

To me, your shop that said we'll tell you what the problem is for $50 is shady as hell for going about their business that way.

Had a similar experience with my FIL's Maxima some years ago. He had just had it in a tire shop and shortly after it "started making noise". He called me asking If I'd follow him to the Nissan dealer because he was sure it was a wheel bearing. I ask my FIL, are you sure the lug nuts are tight? He laughed at me.. Yeah they're good. It was just in the shop! As I was following him to the dealer, the front left wheel left the vehicle and stuffed itself up into the fender, doing body damage. I had to go home to get one of my low floor jacks, remove one lug from the remaining 3 wheels to use in place of the missing lugs to get him to the dealer.

I guess my point is, any type of weird noise after a shop visit, make sure all your lug nuts are tight. **** happens.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,529 Posts
Don't know how the lug nuts got loose.
It's possible you may be using the wrong ones if you are using rims that didn't come with the vehicle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The question I have is, was it the loose lug nuts the whole time? It's been some time since you had the CVT replaced, correct? Did the Nissan dealer charge you a diagnostic fee? Given the history you've had with them, they may have just taken it for a quick drive, heard the noise, guessed it was a bad hub and parked it. If you paid them a diagnostic fee, I'd be pissed that they didn't catch loose lug nuts, or maybe they pulled a wheel and forgot to tighten them.

To me, your shop that said we'll tell you what the problem is for $50 is shady as hell for going about their business that way.

Had a similar experience with my FIL's Maxima some years ago. He had just had it in a tire shop and shortly after it "started making noise". He called me asking If I'd follow him to the Nissan dealer because he was sure it was a wheel bearing. I ask my FIL, are you sure the lug nuts are tight? He laughed at me.. Yeah they're good. It was just in the shop! As I was following him to the dealer, the front left wheel left the vehicle and stuffed itself up into the fender, doing body damage. I had to go home to get one of my low floor jacks, remove one lug from the remaining 3 wheels to use in place of the missing lugs to get him to the dealer.

I guess my point is, any type of weird noise after a shop visit, make sure all your lug nuts are tight. **** happens.
My shop is a great place. I've known the owners for 20+ years. The Nissan dealer diagnosed a bad wheel hub and they told my wife the transfer case was leaking a little. If they had (according to my garage) lifted the Pathfinder they'd have seen the loose wheel. For them to diagnose a leaky transfer case without looking underneath is shady. The transfer case had such a small amount of oil coming out of it that it is not something to worry about.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had recently had the tire shop put on my snow tires. I think that maybe they didn't tighten some of the lugs all the way. The anti-theft lug nut was tight though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts