Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played Nissan's game and did the two service campaigns related to the judder issue and neither worked. So, I called Nissan NA and they agreed to replace entire CVT and increase warranty on power train from 5/50 to 7/70. Can drives smooth - smoother than any car I've ever had.

I recommend that if you've done the TCM reprogram and the TC replacement, you should call Nissan NA and open a case to replace CVT.

When discussing this with my service guy, he feels that before the time I drove the car with the "old" CVT and the new torque converter, damage was already done so the replacement of the TC had no effect. The new CVT included another new TC.

If you are suffering from this issue, I highly recommend you get on the phone and start demanding a new CVT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the TCM done, still shuttered, had torque converter done, still shuttered, took back to dealer and they called in a Nissan Field Tec and he said to replace the transmission. Had transmission done and now everything seems fine at this point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the TCM done, still shuttered, had torque converter done, still shuttered, took back to dealer and they called in a Nissan Field Tec and he said to replace the transmission. Had transmission done and now everything seems fine at this point.
please when you post this add build day and part numbers so all of us can now what to look for , thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Possible that the best way to fix the shudder is to replace the entire transmission.

Nissan should offer to replace the transmission and extend the warranty for all of those who have the problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To any whom have had the cvt replaced. 1. did it fix it? 2. what was the part #? 3. did they re-use the "updated" convertor or the one with the trans?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer ordered the new transmission since shudder is still here after the torque converter was replaced.
According to the paperwork I got today from the dealer, they ordered Part # 310CM-3WX0ERE , Reman Transaxle.

It should be here at the end of the week, dealer said they should be able to replace it in one day...

Can't wait to see if that does the trick... if not I will be filing lemon law... fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
It is a remanufactured part.

AUTO TRANSMISSION,TRANSAXLE & FITTING - AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE ASSY-REMAN
Part Code: 3102MQ
Part Number: 3102M3WX0CRE
Superceded to: 310CM3WX0ERE
Year range 9/2012 to 1/2013
Quantity per vehicle: 1
View Illustration
*MSRP: $2,142.86
core: $800.00
Fits vehicle filters:
( DRIVE = 'AWD' and TRANS = 'CVT' ) CHECK ONLINE PRICE

AUTO TRANSMISSION,TRANSAXLE & FITTING - AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE ASSY-REMAN
Part Code: 3102MQ
Part Number: 3102M3WX0ERE
Superceded to: 310CM3WX0ERE
Year range 1/2013 to Present
Quantity per vehicle: 1
View Illustration
*MSRP: $2,142.86
core: $800.00
Fits vehicle filters:
( DRIVE = 'AWD' and TRANS = 'CVT' ) CHECK ONLINE PRICE

·
Registered
440 Posts
While it may not bother others, I am also looking at a CVT changeout, and I plan to make it known that a remanufactured CVT is not acceptable. When did dealerships start using remanufactured parts in lieu of new parts?

The other issue is that these chain type CVTs are new designs*, first year; are there that many bad ones turned in that they already are remanufacturing them? Normally remanufactured components, such as water pumps, alternators, etc. are produced after the original OEM parts have seen years of service, not just months (weeks?) of service. That kinda raises a red flag to me.

*Nissan published a Society of Automotive Engineers paper 2013-01-0364, "Technology Development to Improve Jatco CVT8 Efficiency" that describes the changes to their CVT design, including the use of a chain instead of a belt for V6 models. I wonder what the author of that paper thinks about the design improvements now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, on a side note, $2100 is cheap for this part, either they've drastically reduced the costs or its cheap because it is a remanufactured part. The replacement CVT for my little Rogue was over $5000 in 2008 when I had it replaced (covered under warranty thankfully).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi All,
So after going back and forth between the dealer and Nissan Consumer Affairs, I got my transmission replaced.
Just to let you know, my dealer tried to get Nissan to install a new trany but Nissan said that as long as there are REMAN ones available they will install those... no room for negotiations (at least for me).
Nissan assured me and assured me that this trany is as good as a new one. Tired of fighting and since our PF was having some major shudder issues in the last month, I gave in and accepted the reman one.
Well, today I picked up my beloved PF. So far so good, but since I have only put 15miles since the change I will not even attempt to tell you that the problem has been fixed. The way I see it it is a fresh start and it could take as long as it took the first time around (about 1200miles) to show up.

I wanted to share with you what the invoice shows so we can see what others got.

Qty: 1 - 310CM-3WX0ERE - REMAN TRANSAXLE
Qty: 7 - 999MP-NS300P - NS-3 CVT TRANSM
Qty: 1 - 999MP-AM006P - TRANSMISSION CO
Qty: 1 - 310CM-3WX0ERE - CORE RETURN
Qty: 1 - 999MP-L25500P - NISSAN LONG LIF

I will keep you posted... I am one step from filling Lemon so I really hope this is the end of the nightmare.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm really not sure what the issue is with the reman tranny's. The way I understand it, it's just the case. The internals that matter are all new. Unlike the mass produced "new" CVT, a reman unit goes through careful inspection to ensure everything is proper and defect-free; at least in theory. I think many are getting overly concerned with the "new" aspect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm really not sure what the issue is with the reman tranny's. The way I understand it, it's just the case. The internals that matter are all new. Unlike the mass produced "new" CVT, a reman unit goes through careful inspection to ensure everything is proper and defect-free; at least in theory. I think many are getting overly concerned with the "new" aspect.
I second that motion. Anytime you have a core return..... Water pump.....alternator......etc.... Housings are reused to manufacture new ones, where internals are gutted. I would have no problems using one. Most of the time you go to O'reilys, and get a waterpump......that is what you get.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I second that motion. Anytime you have a core return..... Water pump.....alternator......etc.... Housings are reused to manufacture new ones, where internals are gutted. I would have no problems using one. Most of the time you go to O'reilys, and get a waterpump......that is what you get.
First of all, we are taking Nissan at their word that it is "just the case" that is reused. Second of all, I am not paying $30K+ for remanufactured parts. Third of all, when you do buy replacement parts, you have a choice of new, OEM, or rebuilt. Here, owner's of brand new vehicles have no choice. Of course, that also wouldn't impact resale value later, or would it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well not sure if "all" the parts are new... but the fact of the matter here is we all spent huge dollars on our trucks, just to have a few thousands miles later get reman products.. once again maybe this is "the fix". as I sure hope so as I have ALOT better things to do than to take the PF to the shop every other month... As i'm sure everyone else does as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First of all, we are taking Nissan at their word that it is "just the case" that is reused. Second of all, I am not paying $30K+ for remanufactured parts. Third of all, when you do buy replacement parts, you have a choice of new, OEM, or rebuilt. Here, owner's of brand new vehicles have no choice. Of course, that also wouldn't impact resale value later, or would it?
Sorry, but I stand by what I said above.

Erling

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well not sure if "all" the parts are new... but the fact of the matter here is we all spent huge dollars on our trucks, just to have a few thousands miles later get reman products.. once again maybe this is "the fix". as I sure hope so as I have ALOT better things to do than to take the PF to the shop every other month... As i'm sure everyone else does as well.
Not dissagreaing with you.... I think it is pathetic what is cooking with the shudder, and lag of engine control software, in low range. I was just eluding to the point, that I am ok with the fact that the housing was/is reused, as with many alloys, which cannot be found in nature, and has to be smelted. That said, if they used anything else than the case, I'm off that ship.

Erling

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry, but I stand by what I said above.

Erling
Nothing to apologize for! One of the great things about this forum, beyond sharing information about our vehicles, is that everyone can share their opinions, and no one is "right" or "wrong".

I definitely agree with you in that I have bought dozens of rebuilt parts (even junkyard parts) to fix my vehicles over the last 3 decades, and don't recall having a problem with them. However, for me personally, it is not acceptable to pay car payments for 60 months for a vehicle with rebuilt parts, even if it is just the transmission case (which is a big chunk of aluminum alloy) that was reused.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts