Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used 2013 Pathfinder platinum for my wife. Has 47,000 miles but seems to be in good shape. I noticed while driving it today that the tachometer "flutters" while at idle. By fluttering i mean a very slight bounce of about 50 to 100 RPM. This happens both when stopped or when the car is in park. The engine seems to run fine and there are no warning indicators popping up. I went by and asked the dealership (carmax) where we purchased it, and was told this is completely normal for the pathfinder due to the transmission. I find this odd as I also own a 2013 Altima with the same type of transmission and the tach is rock solid on it.

Anyone else experience this type of flutter? Is it indeed normal?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem with mine 2014 paty. They had to reset the idle, then it started doing it randomly. I also had transmission problems, I applied for lemon law and they switched my party for a 2015.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed a RPM flutter when in gear and driving. It's a very small flutter, almost more like a twitching of the needle. Was wondering if it was normal with CVT transmissions as this is my first.

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Mine oscillated a little while cruising at any speed. Dealer first tried to convince me to live with the defect but I didn't budge. Replaced under warranty.
That was a pain since the new one came with more miles than the old one. It took a couple of months to get it right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealership called and said they performed a software update. Hopefully it improves the issues. Anyone else have experience with having just a software update? 2014 SL w/59k miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Yeah, that is the first step. The new software changes how the CVT works and also records codes if there is a shudder event.
Going forward, if you experience a shudder and a code is recorded, depending on the code they will replace the valve body or the entire transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, that's exactly what the service manager told me. He also confirmed that the warranty has been extended to 84,000 miles. I've driven about 30 miles since the update and haven't felt any major shutter, but it still doesn't feel any smoother.

From service ticket - " CUSTOMER STATES THAT WHEN DRIVING IN 20 MPH TRAFFIC, CUST FEELS A SHUTTER IN VEHICLE LIKE DRIVING OVER RUMBLE STRIPS ON THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY. ALSO STATES THAT THE RPMS HILL FLUCTUATE UP AND DOWN AT STEADY SPEEDS. TCM UPDATE AVAILABLE. UPDATED TCM PER BULLETIN NTB15-014B"

·
Registered
407 Posts
From service ticket - " CUSTOMER STATES THAT WHEN DRIVING IN 20 MPH TRAFFIC, CUST FEELS A SHUTTER IN VEHICLE LIKE DRIVING OVER RUMBLE STRIPS ON THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY. ALSO STATES THAT THE RPMS HILL FLUCTUATE UP AND DOWN AT STEADY SPEEDS. TCM UPDATE AVAILABLE. UPDATED TCM PER BULLETIN NTB15-014B"
Software update will do bugger all apart from capture the codes and try to mask the problem, won't fix it because from the sounds of it your CVT is on the way out, the 2013-2016s have a flow control valve in the oil pump that's in the guts of the CVT which is prone to wear. They can swap out a valve body, that might extend out the current CVT a while longer, but eventually the pump valve will [email protected]#k your CVT to the point of no return. It's also something you can't swap out without pulling off the CVT and then removing the bell housing to get at it. (not something you will get Nissan doing)

Have a read of this thread, the more you know, the less BS they can throw at you.

https://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/34303-pathfinder-cvt-hi-btw.html#post257237

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all the info. It's hasn't improved, as expected, with just the software update. It's scheduled to go back in bright and early tommorow. Not sure how much it takes to throw a code, but we'll see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nissan didn't find any codes and found no issues on the test drive. I've tried reproducing the shuttering, but mostly it feels like the car is "bouncing" front to back when accelerating steadily at low speeds and bogs down when trying to give it more gas. I'm not sure how to approach it as this point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts