Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just got mine last week, SL 2x4 Moonlight/Almond with all option except Premium.
Have anyone switch to synthetic oil yet? when should I do it? and what oil and filter brand?

I own a 98 4runner and been using Mobil1 with stock Toy filter.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Changed first time at 1200 miles. Nissan dealers use Mobil 1, so no issue finding a place that uses it. They covered the First one, but typically cost right around 50 at a dealership. Mobil 1 is by far one of the better synthetic oils on the market you can pickup at any auto store. If you're a big do it yourself kind of guy Amsoil or royal purple are some of the top synthetics on the market and last significantly longer than anything on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Mobil 1 is a great mainstream oil brand.

K&N is a great oil filter company, I don't know if they make an oil filter for the new Nissan Pathfinders but there's a good chance it's already available.

I would recommend using Motul brand oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know if they make an oil filter for the new Nissan Pathfinders but there's a good chance it's already
Amazon has them for about $11.50 and eligible for Prime. Look for a HP1008 I believe. Costco offers Mobile1 on sale twice a year for $10 off. I run it in all of my motors

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
What about synthetic oil change intervals? How does Nissan view extended intervals with synthetics. The recommended intervals are 3750 miles/ 3 mo. which are conservative compared to the competitors 5k to 7k intervals. I would be changing my oil 5-6 times a year with my driving habits. Is Nissan still in the dark ages of oil conservation? I don't want to compromise my power-train warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amazon has them for about $11.50 and eligible for Prime. Look for a HP1008 I believe. Costco offers Mobile1 on sale twice a year for $10 off. I run it in all of my motors

Mike

Thanks Mike, just pick up 7 from Advance Auto Part using DOW17 coupon ($50 off $100). Come out to be $8.50 each after 8.25 % tax here in Texas. Now need to decide which Mobil1 oil I should use, regular sync or extended performance which can run up to 15k miles.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mobil1, Pennzoil

I use both. I know Pennzoil Platinum is popular over at bobistheoilguy

There are other smaller companies that make great synthetics - Amsoil, Motul, etc

More importantly is to keep the oil change frequency schedule.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since I received a free maintenance plan I will just go and get the non synthetic oil changes every 3750 miles. With this frequency there will be no issue ever related to engine wear especially since have never kept a car over 100K miles. IMO the use of synthetic works best when driving under more extreme conditions such as performance driving, regular towing, frequent offroading, etc. If you are not one of these people I would just stick to a regular blend. Nevertheless if you truly do have a personal preference for synthetic, I would suggest a 5000 mile interval. I like this schedule because at least it gets the car in my dealership twice a year for comprehensive checkups.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree. The change interval is more important.

With that said I usually get regular oil for around $20-$25 for 5 quarts and I can get synthetic for $35-40. So the difference isn't staggering.

Using a good oil filter is important too (OEM)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts