Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I cant say with fair certainty but I believe you have the same sound mine was making, the nuts on the ends of the strut pistons were loose in my case. It's probably the strut but maybe not the entire strut just the mount. Would have to take apart and inspect...not fun for most. Took me forever to figure it out in mine because I don't have tools to replace struts or the mounts. But replacing or tightening the rod nuts can be done without removing the struts. You just have to remove the cowl and strut bar and they will be accessible then inspect them up they look good then torque them real good with an impact. My mounts are beat to hell but I didn't feel like replacing them I just replaced the block nuts and called it a day, cured most of the nasty noises.

Also one thing that a video doesn't help with in diagnosis is the direction of the sound. I hear the sound but have no idea where it's emanating from.
The noise comes from the driver side wheel well. Can be felt through the gas pedals too. I am assuming you are referring to the strut mounts. As per the mechanics they are fine and since the noise subsides to almost zero after the car is run for 15-20 mins, to me it seems some part which has lubricants that accumulates over night and on running it spreads across the part diminishing the noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update: found another mechanic who diagnosed worn out control arm bushings. He got the bushings made since they were not available locally. Upon refitting the control arm, the noise was still there. He diagnosed it as strut mount which he has replaced and am glad that the noise is gone! It remains a mystery that why wasn’t it diagnosed earlier? Anyways..all is well that ends well!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sharad, YOur clunking noise was it always there or just when making a HARD turn? We have it on ours (driver side) when making turns from a standing position, like a driveway or a stop sign

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sharad, YOur clunking noise was it always there or just when making a HARD turn? We have it on ours (driver side) when making turns from a standing position, like a driveway or a stop sign
It was more pronounced on bumps, used to subside to an extent after a few miles.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts