Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

oflate I have been hearing clunking noise from the driver side front wheel. I have got the struts replaced however the noise remains. One of the mechanics checked the sway bar links and said that these are faulty,the other said that this is how they should be..confusing me to the hilt. Please see the attached link and please guide me if this is normal?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Dear all,

oflate I have been hearing clunking noise from the driver side front wheel. I have got the struts replaced however the noise remains. One of the mechanics checked the sway bar links and said that these are faulty,the other said that this is how they should be..confusing me to the hilt. Please see the attached link and please guide me if this is normal?

you need to be moving that sway link up and down and listen

·
Registered
291 Posts
Check the sway bar bushings, get under the vehicle, do not Jack it up, that will put pressure on the bar as if the suspension were moving while driving. Grab the bar in the center and violently shake it left to right. It should not be moving AT ALL. If you can move it left to right the it's moving enough to be making racket.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Should not have any clunks, usualy bushings worn I went through a full bushings (some I pressed myself with an old arbor) and shocks replacement and its quiet again, wasn't fun either took me all weekend in the driveway. Started making noise at 62k and felt like loose calipers. But always good to get down under an re-torque everything as sometime you get lucky.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The way those links twisted with minimal force, I don't think that's how they should behave. Probably links are shot? Mine were like that when I had them replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should not have any clunks, usualy bushings worn I went through a full bushings (some I pressed myself with an old arbor) and shocks replacement and its quiet again, wasn't fun either took me all weekend in the driveway. Started making noise at 62k and felt like loose calipers. But always good to get down under an re-torque everything as sometime you get lucky.
Thanks, I have got the bushings replaced, struts replaced...the sound is still there. What has confused me further is one mechanic says that it’s normal for sway bar links to twist and the other says that they are shot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way those links twisted with minimal force, I don't think that's how they should behave. Probably links are shot? Mine were like that when I had them replaced.
Well one mechanic says they are shot, the other says it’s normal...I am confused as hell

·
Registered
141 Posts
Should be no clunks at all, even on hard to fast speed bumps, that can be under torqued bolts (control arms most of the time) usually or even calipers mounts loose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right - it turned out to be worn out pins of the caliper.... finally i have got a noise free car. thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear all, thank you for your suggestions and help. It turned out to be worn out caliper bushings. The bushings were changed and all is good now. Hope this thread helps all those in need.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,580 Posts
You mean the little rubber that goes on the end of one of the two caliper slide pins? I've had vehicles with those missing and never had any noticeable noise from it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You mean the little rubber that goes on the end of one of the two caliper slide pins? I've had vehicles with those missing and never had any noticeable noise from it.

There is a small bushing for each caliper usually come with the pin kit but some sell it with the little rubber boots

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The noise is back and so am I. And in this while I got the stabilizer links replaced. Surprisingly the noise is more prominent in the first 10-15 mins of driving the car and then it vanishes (almost). The clunking sound happens only on uneven roads, not even on speed bumps. I am frustrated but don’t want to give up. Trying to find mechanics here in Costa Rica who have noise detecting machines. Any experiences that you or anyone you know have please?

·
Registered
291 Posts
The noise is back and so am I. And in this while I got the stabilizer links replaced. Surprisingly the noise is more prominent in the first 10-15 mins of driving the car and then it vanishes (almost). The clunking sound happens only on uneven roads, not even on speed bumps. I am frustrated but don’t want to give up. Trying to find mechanics here in Costa Rica who have noise detecting machines. Any experiences that you or anyone you know have please?
You said the struts were replaced? I have to ask were they installed properly and were the mounts and bearings replaced as well. From my experience at diagnosing this vehicle's suspension noise I can say that the bearings and mounts for this vehicle are not very durable. Also any nut with Nylock should be replaced, not reused. If anything wasn't tightened down enough noise will be amplified. You have reduced vibrations from certain worn components so now the actual culprit of the noise is changing it's sound. I experienced this after misdiagnosing my entire suspension only to find out the struts were just improperly installed and the wrong nuts were used for the strut pistons. Because of this my strut mounts wore prematurely due to excess vibrations. Every worn suspension component became a learning experience for me and I learned that just like troubleshooting an electrical issue starts with the power source, suspension noise begins with the body of the vehicle and ends with the tires, checking everything that connects the body to the tires in between. If not you end up with different noises I noticed after disassembling and reassembling so many times. I hope my experience helps you. I'm not afraid to disassemble my entire vehicle just afraid I can't put it back together in time for work lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You said the struts were replaced? I have to ask were they installed properly and were the mounts and bearings replaced as well. From my experience at diagnosing this vehicle's suspension noise I can say that the bearings and mounts for this vehicle are not very durable. Also any nut with Nylock should be replaced, not reused. If anything wasn't tightened down enough noise will be amplified. You have reduced vibrations from certain worn components so now the actual culprit of the noise is changing it's sound. I experienced this after misdiagnosing my entire suspension only to find out the struts were just improperly installed and the wrong nuts were used for the strut pistons. Because of this my strut mounts wore prematurely due to excess vibrations. Every worn suspension component became a learning experience for me and I learned that just like troubleshooting an electrical issue starts with the power source, suspension noise begins with the body of the vehicle and ends with the tires, checking everything that connects the body to the tires in between. If not you end up with different noises I noticed after disassembling and reassembling so many times. I hope my experience helps you. I'm not afraid to disassemble my entire vehicle just afraid I can't put it back together in time for work lol.
Well the mechanics told me that it isn’t the strut...

very strange that the noise is lot more pronounced During the first few kilometers and then subside down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I cant say with fair certainty but I believe you have the same sound mine was making, the nuts on the ends of the strut pistons were loose in my case. It's probably the strut but maybe not the entire strut just the mount. Would have to take apart and inspect...not fun for most. Took me forever to figure it out in mine because I don't have tools to replace struts or the mounts. But replacing or tightening the rod nuts can be done without removing the struts. You just have to remove the cowl and strut bar and they will be accessible then inspect them up they look good then torque them real good with an impact. My mounts are beat to hell but I didn't feel like replacing them I just replaced the block nuts and called it a day, cured most of the nasty noises.

Also one thing that a video doesn't help with in diagnosis is the direction of the sound. I hear the sound but have no idea where it's emanating from.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts